“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #70 of 77 Hotels in Boston
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

This is not a luxurious hotel. If you go in with this expectation, you will be satisfied with your stay. I have stayed here twice in a one-month period and have experienced a king standard room and a petite room. I paid for both via the hotel's own website (180 for the standard room and around 80 for the petite)
Let me tell you what a difference between the two there was.
The standard had everything you'd expect to need in a Boston hotel room. Updated room. Great view. Somewhat small, but you come to expect that in this city unless you shell out serious bucks. Space is a valuable commodity here.
The petite is really meant for one traveler. Some rooms have no desk or closet. The shower is so tiny it makes you laugh. And who really is comfortable in a double bed with another person?
The first petite room was located next to the elevator shaft. Really? Who decided to weigh the benefits of putting a traveler here for the night instead if making this room a maintenance closet? I don't know who could sleep with the noise and vibration. We requested a room change and were quickly accommodated with prompt and courteous staff. But really, why put us in the elevator shaft to begin with?!
Also, be it known to all that the thermostats on the wall are there for show. It's always been too warm and I have to open the window. Even after turning the heat off completely, the heater pumps hot air continuously. And this is in all 3 rooms that I have experienced. Luckily, the Park Plaza is the one of the few hotels in Boston with windows that open.
This place offers rates at a far deeper discount than any others in close proximity. Just have reasonable expectations and you will get what you need.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Bar Harbor, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We loved the location, it's centrally located, a minute away from the Common, across the street from the T, at a great price ($120/night for the smallest room). The said-small room was comfortable with the exception of the 2-feet wide shower (had to choose between banging elbows on the wall or sticking on curtain) and overheated bathroom (90 degrees ?) because of radiator that could not be controlled. Free wifi in Lobby was almost impossible to get at regular hours. Though, clean and quiet rooms, we'll return, it's a great deal if you spend your days and evening out in the city !

Shelburne, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I needed a place last minute in this neighborhood for a business trip. While the rooms are very small and maybe a bit in need of a make-over, I still enjoyed my stay and the staff could not have been more welcoming. After they parked my car far away in a garage, I realized that I had forgotten my briefcase and that I would need materials the next morning for my meeting. They brought it back and said that they would keep it right out front in the few spaces they had opposite the front door. One down-side: I like my rooms cool for sleeping. The thermastat would not go below 64, but I was able to turn it off and it cooled down (although the bathroom has a high powered heater that can not be turned down - so I shut the door.) I would stay here again...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was in my third room which was not great but slightly better than the first two I had been offered (the first two had a lot of issues such as peeling ceiling, wet floor, noisy, etc.) I was getting ready to sleep but the room was cold so I turned on the heat. Within seconds i could hear what was the equivalent of a jet engine in the room (apparently it was the heating). I thought it would go off after a while but after tossing and turning for a long time with no let up in the noise I decided to call the front desk. I picked up the phone and tried pressing 0 but got the same message "Your call cannot be connected at this time". I gave up and decided to try my cell phone; but I had no signal. Well I had skype on the computer so I thought I'd do a VOIP call but found out you have to pay $12.95 for Internet and I was not going to pay for it just to tell them that there heating was too noisy. So I climbed up on the window ledge and got a single bar and called the hotel. Unfortunately, with the noise of the heater they couldn't hear a word I was saying so I had to switch it off and call them back and explain the issue. They were surprised to hear the issue and said they didn't have any other rooms but they would have an engineer come and take care of it right away and send up some ear plugs as well. I got a call from engineering in 10 mins saying that he could come up but there was no point as there was nothing he could do. He'd already been to other rooms and he explained to me how the heating worked and said my choices were to sleep with the heat and the noise or to sleep in the cold with no noise. He also said that if I noticed that there was hot water coming from both hot and cold taps they were aware of that but couldn't do much about that either. The operator then called and said that there were no ear plugs and wished me the best of luck, but before she went I asked about the issue calling out with the phone and she said that if I kept on trying it would connect eventually. Well I didn't see bottled water in the room and was not going to drink the hot water from the taps and so went back to bed thirsty. After tossing and turning for another hour I tried calling the front desk again and Gisele was kind enough to find me some ear plugs and send them up. Even with these I could hear the jet next to me in the tiny room so I finally turned the heat off and went to sleep. I woke up a couple of hours later freezing. I switched the heat back on waited for the room to heat it up and then switched it off and got another couple of hours sleep before I had to wake up completely exhausted.

Good luck if you plan on staying here.

Room Tip: Find another hotel; any other hotel.
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Anderson-GM, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear liondad,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Boston Park Plaza. It is extremely important to us that our guests experience the very best in service and accommodations during their time with us so we're disappointed to learn that you stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the noise and temperature issues you faced during your visit. This is certainly not the Park Plaza experience we aim to provide our guests and we are truly sorry this happened to you. We have shared your experience with the appropriate teams and can reassure you that we will work through these issues. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience we caused you during your time in Boston.
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Attended a wedding in November. Staff was very attentitive and friendly. We checked in to our room quickly. the room was comfortable with a nice view. . We had a happy hour in a beautiful room and the appetizers were delicious. When it was time for the reception a wall opened up and it was magical. The lighting and decor was romantic. The wedding party was introduced on a stage which was fun. The wedding chicken was a bit dry but that is the only complaint i have.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in the Towers for one night before he left to be abroad for a while. The room was nice and clean with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was nice, although the toilet was a bit weird-it didn't have the style of a toilet you would find in a home. Not a big deal though. The shower was nice and the water pressure and temperature was great. We had access to the private eating area, which was serving breakfast. I was a bit let down by this because the website made it seem like it was going to be a fancy area with a great breakfast that only the "special" guests would have since only the top floor has access. It was really just a room with some tables, chairs, and TVs and a really small breakfast and not much for service. The location of the hotel is amazing and super convenient. Overall though the hotel was very nice and we had no problems. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The only good thing about the hotel is the location. I paid over 350 dollars per night, and got an old room, with a bathroom that was ridiculously small. I asked to change rooms and got another one with an even smaller bathroom (I am talking small that I don't entirely fit in the shower, and I am not a big person). The service was terrible. Staff very unprofessional (the person they sent to help me to change rooms, after 3 attempts to send one, was literally burping while walking me to the next room, unbelievable). Would not recommend this place to anybody, extremely expensive, old and bad service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Anderson-GM, General Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear regular-traveller25,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Boston Park Plaza. Please accept our apologies for the issues you had during your recent visit. We were disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations. There is no excuse for our staff to have been unprofessional and your comments have been shared with the Hotel Operations team to assure this situation doesn't happen in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience; we sincerely appreciate it.

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!