“Weekend Getaway with Friends” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
TripAdvisor Exclusive
Ranked #71 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Waterbury, CT
“Weekend Getaway with Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

LOVE this hotel...old, nostalgic and perfectly situatied in town. We have stayed here several times and we are always happy. This time there were 6 of us, so we reserved a 2 bedroom suite...I wasn't as impressed as with the 1 bedroom suite - it was literally three rooms, 2 not connected but with a hallway if you opened the door to each room. the other was an adjoining room via a door in the closet. Somewhat small for the price tag but suited our purpose perfectly. Attentive, friendly staff, good food in the lobby restaurant (pricey - as to be expected). The bathrooms in the rooms were all pretty old and in need of updating but definitely not a reason not to stay there. $47/Day for valet was a bit hefty but more convenient than walking down to public parking. Will definitely be back again. Definitely a fave.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Customer service here well exceeded my expectations. Today it is not easy to find great, no, outstanding service. I was very impressed with a young lady named Ruth and how graceful & respectful she was-- even when she had a customer screaming I'm her face.
Impressed is an understatement! :)

• Stayed November 2012
Potomac, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked this hotel, because we really were looking for space for our family of 4. I was skeptical to book because of the tripadvisor rating. So my fingers were crossed that this place would deliver for my very picky family. And it turns out , This hotel is not rated as high as it should be. And i was happy I chose it and not one of the trendier boutique hotels that I had considered.
We checked in on Saturday, booked a 1 bedroom suite. The room was really big, perfect for us- even had a dining table and 2 bathrooms! And, even though there were some quirky "old" issues, ie: the keys didn't work properly, the old historic "servador" was sort of hanging there.... this place had character. Our kids thought it was really neat. I would call it a "grand dame" of hotels. And worth a visit. The staff was among the FRIENDLIEST i have ever encountered.
A peak into a regular room down the hall, did reveal that it was really small, as described on the other reviews, but if you can pay for the suite or a tower room you probably won't be disappointed.
Another plus, our suite came with access to the tower lounge, which was a cold buffet breakfast each day. And, happy hour each weekday evening....

Room Tip: Suites are sweet or maybe a larger room....high floor looking to the street not court. Big windows.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

From the moment that we checked into the hotel in the middle of Superstorm Sandie until we left 4 days later the service from the hotel was 100%. The rooms were extremely clean, chambermaids very helpful and always pleasant. The bar staff were also very nice and accommodating at all times. We asked on the off-chance for a late check out and it was no issue. We didn't have to vacate the room until 2.00 which is great when you are catching an evening flight. Similar to other reviewers it would be an added bonus if they offered free wi-if to their guests. However having it free for 30 min in the lobby is better that nothing. I'll be back!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
portland, oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for just one night on a recent business trip. I won't repeat the feedback on the rooms being a little worn or dated. I didn't like the $2 charge per local call, including toll-free numbers, with a higher charge in store for calls over 60 minutes. For those using a calling card on the room phone, be warned!

I do have to say that the lobby area was my favorite! As seen in the photos posted by others, it's a grand hotel lobby with huge chandeliers, classic design from long ago, polished stone floors and high-quality swing and light jazz classics coming from hidden speakers. I loved spending time in the lobby, people-watching and reading a book.

My only issue during my stay had to do with getting a taxi to get to the airport. I went out to the sidewalk and saw two men with cell phones, one of whom asked "Do you need a taxi?" They were trying to direct me toward two unmarked sedans parked at the curb, while the uniformed doorman looked the other way. I could see "real" taxis parked to my right in a line, waiting for business. Worried that this was a scam, I went back in to the hotel lobby to ask if those two men were hotel employees working the taxi stand. "Yes" was the response, but it didn't feel right. I've been ripped-off in other cities in the world when unlicensed taxis are used.

When I came back outside, the two men tried to get me into their sedan, even trying to take my luggage from my hand. I insisted on a "real" taxi, a request that was honored by the one of men. Once we left, the taxi driver explained how the two men at the hotel were running a scam. I have no idea why the hotel doesn't do something about this by chasing the men off. Perhaps everyone is getting a cut of the action? Be warned....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Beaumont, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is still an elegant hotel but one that is past it's prime. It has an excellent location, and a great seafood restaurant in the hotel building, but our room was small, the bathroom was tiny, and the decor was outdated. Also, the only free wi-fi was in the lobby.

It's still a nice hotel, but to me, not worth the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hellas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I must say the hotel is not what the photos show it to be! It is rather old. The room we stayed in was spacious enough with all essential amenities. A strong point of this hotel is the fact that it is located next to or near many eating places. Service is great and stuff very helpful! Upon check in and check out everything was smooth. Room service is excellent. The hotel seems to be full with several events and maybe noisy at times.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!