“Expensive and faulty renovations” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
TripAdvisor Exclusive
Ranked #71 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Weston, Vermont
“Expensive and faulty renovations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Just checked out and decided to write my first review. For $493 dollars, I would expect a bath tub, free wi- fi walls thick walls enough to hide the sounds of our neighbor crying all night, and no bare wires near the toilet. I gather they have "modernized" the bathroom heat by running a thin, bare wire from the radiator in the bathroom to a manual control switch. A piece of plastic edging type material covers the wire halfway. Hope your rear end is not wet should you brush against it while taking care of business. Parents please watch your kids!!!

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
BPPExec, Manager at Boston Park Plaza, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Beth423,

We would like to extend our apologies for the condition in which you found your guest room upon checking into our hotel. We take the safety of our guests seriously and were very concerned to hear about the wires in your guestroom’s bathroom. Please be assured that we have shared your findings with our Property Maintenance Team so that they can address the issue immediately.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and taking the time to provide additional feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Mustang, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I was in Boston for a couple days of business and stayed at the Park Plaza because I got a great rate and was curious about the old Statler hotel. I arrived and checked in without incident, but was put into a twin when I had reserved a queen (yes, they moved me down the hall to a queen room).
I had hoped to get a quick hot shower after a long day at work followed by a long flight, but the hot water was only slightly warmer than the cold. I did not call the front desk about that, since something like that must impact the entire hotel and not just my room, and there must be many complaints already, and so I waited until morning when yes, the water was hot again.

Various items... The internet was via ethernet cable, 10mb speed, at $10.45 per day. Big flat screen TV but with no in-room movies and limited channels. The large room safe was free and big enough for my big laptop. Nice single-cup Keurig coffee maker (could use real creamer, not the powdered stuff). The bed was great, but the room had a slight insecticide odor. The bathroom had hairs all over the sink, and there was a sound of water dripping above the bathroom ceiling. Nice twin Speakman shower heads with great water pressure. Curved shower rod was not installed correctly, was loose and sagged.
The room air conditioner must be as old as the hotel itself, some kind of high pressure "induction air" unit that literally howls when the air valve opens every time the thermostat kicks on, and continues to roar like a jet engine all night long.

Finally, this morning, up at 4am to catch the early flight home, and... you guessed it... no hot water again. No time to waste with a call to the front desk, there would be nothing they could do anyway, so a cold shower, cold shave, and off to the airport. If they would raise the rent another $5 they would still be half of what the Marriott Copley rents for, but would that help pay for fixing their hot water heater and upgrading the a/c ?... or is this some kind of planet-saving energy conservation strategy by management? Don't know, but they need to get their act together.
Otherwise, this beautiful old hotel has great character and needs some help to keep her alive another hundred years.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear rporter8555,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We were disappointed to hear about the challenges you experienced during your stay, and have shared the details of your experience with our Hotel Operations Team to ensure that issues like lack of hot water, a noisy ac unit, and an improperly installed shower curtain rod are addressed. We also would like to share that we have recently completed the installation of wireless internet throughout our hotel.

Again thank you for taking the time to share.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Park Plaza, but it ended on a sour note. My husband had removed his wedding band to wash his hands and left it on the bathroom shelf. We called security about it, but the housekeeping staff denied finding it. It was his fault for leaving it there, but an honest housekeeper would have turned it in. Other than that we were pleased with the room and staff.

Room Tip: We had a king deluxe which had a really comfortable bed.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
West Sussex, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I routed through Boston on my way west and just needed a place for the night, so I chose the smallest/cheapest room. I would have been happy to stay longer as the room was small, but had all I needed - and the batroom was excellent.

Arriving in the evening and leaving at 06.30, I didn't get a chance to look around much but it seemed to be a nice older-style hotel. Certainly no problems with check-in etc. and all staff very helpful.

This was my first time in Boston so I used the airport shuttle at $18 each way. I had more time on my return trip (at another hotel) and got a chance to explore - on future visits I would use the T (the subway train system) - it runs to the airport, is less hassle and a lot cheaper.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Tarpon Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Not sure what all the complaints are about. Our room was on the 5th floor, awesome view and not so small at all. We really enjoyed our stay. We were contemplating staying in the outskirts however, at the last minute got a great deal for here. So very glad we decided to stay. Our room number was #509.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Likes:
The king room we had was nice- good decor, comfortable, clean, big T.V.
Good location- we were able to get to The Common fast and thought walking to attractions and back to our hotel was easy.
Decent restaurant nearby.
Good bar, great bartender.

Dislikes:
The room was tiny!- I refered to it as our shoebox.
Bathroom was really dated- cracked tiles, squeaky faucets, and overall blah.

Bottom Line:
We'd stay there again because, overall, it was a nice hotel and it was the least expensive when compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Plant City, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

If you are looking for a place just to drop your bags, fine. If you are looking for good service and quality for your money, move on. Said they would call us when room was ready, did not. Tried to get our bags, three people got theirs behide us when I asked was told to follow him and identify my bags in a room full of bags,then would not let me use cart, told me to wait there he had to use the cart at valet,I did not. Very small room, poor aircondition.Ask twice for wash clothes, in four days did not get them,had to use hand towels. Our room keys did not work, let us in after 20min, repair man said we would have to go back down stairs and see what they could do. Dirty dishes outside our room from 6pm until sometime after 7am. What got me really angry was when I ask if I could see the famous ballroom they advertise, "no it's just for those who are renting it for events" Best thing I can say it is in central location. We really loved Boston.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear NINA B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We were disappointed to hear about the challenges you experienced, and have shared the details of your stay with our Hotel Operations Team to ensure that issues like follow through and customer service are continuously addressed. Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you encountered, especially the service issues, and thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Been to Boston Park Plaza? Share your experiences!