“Overall - A Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Maine
“Overall - A Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

The heating/cooling system didn't have a fan that you could turn on manually. We're used to the white noise at home, and it would have masked the noise of other guests going in and out of their rooms while we were trying to sleep. Neither my husband nor I got a very good night's sleep because of that.
We didn't appreciate the $6/beer charge at the concierge lounge, especially in light of the fact that we had paid $50 extra for its use. (I understand charging for the beverages, but charging exorbitant prices was off-putting.) Although, the appetizers and dessert they put out at night were very good, and the continental breakfast was fine.
Every person I encountered who worked there, except for the person who checked us in, went WAY out of their way to be helpful, without being annoying, which I really appreciated. The service is above board.
Our room had a beautiful view, overlooking the aquarium and the harbor, which was our reason for visiting Boston. My three year old son loved the swimming pool, and the health club looked like it had A LOT of equipment. I appreciated the fact that the hotel put out fruit in various places for guests. I also really liked having a Starbuck's in the hotel, and Legal Seafood across the street.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Portland, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night with another couple and were very happy with the hotel. We were visiting the aquarium and the science museum and since it was about 100 yds from the aquarium, the location was pretty perfect for us. There was also a T station right in front of the hotel which was nice for getting to bars and restaurants in other parts of the city. The rooms were a little on the small side, but very clean, modern, and comfortable. The beds were awesome. The cost was pretty much on par with other hotels in the area, so no complaints there, but the prices at the hotel bar were quite steep. The staff were all so friendly, check in was a breeze and everytime we saw a hotel employee, they always said hi. I'm sure they are trained to do this, but it really makes you feel welcome. The pool was on the smaller side, but very nice and unless you want to do laps, it's fine. It was open late as well, until 11pm I believe. Hottub and sauna were a nice touch. Parking was very expensive. There is a parking garage about 5 blocks from the hotel that charges $9 to park for an entire weekend. Just park there instead.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night and had a great time. The location is directly acroos the street from the New England Aquariium and Quincy Market (shopping). The parking is expensive, $44 for 24 hours, but all of the other parking garages and lots are just as high (plus they valet your car).
The front desk staff was very professional and cordially welcomed us for our stay. We were fortunate to be able to get a room on the Concierge Level (seventh floor) which had a great view of Columbus Park. The blue lights at night in the park were fabulous. The Concierge Level had a reception which served appetizers and drinks (had to pay for the drinks though). The front desk ordered a 1/2 bottle of wine with cheese and crackers as soon as we arrived, which promptly arrived within five minutes of getting in the room.
My wife and I walked across Atlantic Avenue to Quincy Market and ate dinner followed by some shopping.
The bed in the room was really comfortable. Turn-down service left chocolates on the bedside table and truned down the bed while we were away for dinner, nice touch.
When we got up in the morning we noticed the Concierge Lounge on the seventh floor was serving a continental breakfast, which had a great variety to choose from. The view from the Concierge Lounge was absolutely spectacular and the staff was very friendly.
After breakfast we made our way out to see some sights and were promptly greeted in front of the hotel by multiple Trolley Tours of the city. We paid $44, $22 apiece, to get a trolley tour of all of the major historical sites in the city. The driver of the tour was very amusing and you are able to exit the trolley at any of the designated stops and hop on the next trolley passing by, it allowed you to view the sights at your leisure.
Overall, we had a great stay in Boston and would definetly go back and stay at this hotel again. Very convenient location and not overpriced.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

Great location for our overnight in Boston to go to the NE Aquarium. Was traveling with 7 and 5 year-olds, and a two month old. Was able to park there (valet, bit pricey at $44 per night) when we arrived at 10:30 even though check-in was not until 4:00. We planned to store our luggage and walk to the aquarium but they gave us an available room - 5 hours prior to check-in! Made it so much easier to enjoy the day. Kids also loved the indoor pool (of course, the favorite part of their trip) which are hard to find in downtown Boston hotels.

Room was comfortable and served us well for the one night. Seems to have been recently remodeled. Large TV and comfortable beds. Navigating the bathroom door (two narrow doors, one with inside handle) was a bit weird but not too big a problem. Pillows were too soft and could have used more. Read reviews with the noise in the heating system - agree it was constant, but pretty consistent with every hotal stay I have experienced.

Navigating the hotel was a bit challenging with the kids and a baby stroller. Have to take an escalator to enter/exit the hotel or an elevator. And then a separate elevator across a large atrium to get to the floors.

But location was great! Was able to walk to aquarium in three minutes, walked to Legal Seafood (concierge made last minute reservations), walked to 7-11 when lost the baby's pacifier. T stop and Trolley Tour stop right there, less than a minute walk. Sorry did not take advantage of the trolley.

Also buffet in the morning was excellent - good selection of foods at appropriate temperatures with attentive service of staff.

Will be going here again - kids already can't wait!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

I have stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf several times while in Boston for both business and pleasure. Overall, it is standard Marriott fare in the lobby, lounge, and restaurant. Everything is adequate and the beds are great. However, the hotel does also offer a great view from most rooms and an excellent location for visiting the historic and business areas of downtown Boston. Overall, I recommend this hotel and have chosen it myself for most visits to this fine city.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

A nice hotel in many ways and with a great location, but all for naught because it is difficult (or in my case, impossible) to get a quiet room. As mentioned by other reviewers, there is a constant low hum/rumble, apparently from the hotel's heating system, that will make sleep difficult for many (including your's truly). Changed room three times during my five nights, but to no avail. Noise was at different levels in the three rooms: from very loud to extremely loud to just plain loud. I finally gave up trying to find a reasonably quiet room and just slept with pillows over my ears. However, if your hearing is not good or you don't hear low pitched noise, then the hotel's location makes it attractive for tourists. The concierge lounge has beautiful views although the offerings are not particularly generous.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Stayed for four nights. First room the bathroom was flooded and after I called the house keepin and having waited for a whioe I decided to go down to the lobby and change rooms. The bell man assisted me with my rluggage and it wasnt until we actually were carrying my stuff from the room that house keeping showed up with with a swab to mop the floor ... Second room the ventilation was too loud in so I had to go donw and change that as well. Third room ok. The hotel did not as a courtesy offer breakfast or anything for my trouble.
Internet connection was not free which considering the rate is un professional.
There was a small business centre in the lobby - too small.
The breakfast area was turned into a conference room one of the mornings when a group of sales people ddecided to turn their breakfast in to a meeting. Despite bringing this to the attention of the personal - they were allowed to keep on and disturb the rest of the guests - un professional.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Boston Marriott Long Wharf? Share your experiences!