“Duck Central” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Iowa
“Duck Central”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Stayed there with my husband after we attended a wedding in Kennebunkport, ME. Cities are so costly these days. Cost $12 in tolls just to get there from northern route. The bell man was nice enough to open my car door and offer to park my car for $42 a night! I laughed. I took the (oh so much less expensive) alternative to park it myself at the low, low price of $35 per night. *Sigh* Got the bags in the door -- room wasn't ready. Had to check the luggage. Went on a duck tour -- convienent because they are right across the street. But you have to walk a block to get the tickets -- the guy at the duck booth doesn't sell them. Anyway -- room was fine & mostly quiet. Staff was moderate. Nothing special to speak of. We paid a rock bottom $199 for the room...yikes.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

Stayed here for a conference at the adjacent Hynes center. Hotel was fine since I wasnt paying for it. Had I been I would have been very unhappy. Very average room for $300...no value whatsoever, if they could figure out how to do it, they would charge you for the air in your room. Plus very noisy renovations in lobby, which was closed for part of our stay...not acceptable at this price point. Stay was nonexistent literally not one interaction in 6 days.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

Stayed here in June for business. This is a nice hotel in a great location. The rooms are nicely decorated and good sized. The gym is great. There is a sports bar in the lobby and several restaurants/bars nearby on Newbury and the mall.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
dfw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I thought this hotel was satisfactory. I really have no complaints. If I wasn't there on business with the company picking up the tab then it may have left something to be desired.
Check in was fast and friendly. Made our way up to the room. The room was basic, just like every other room I've stayed in with nothing that really jumped out at me. My view of the city was pleasant. There is a lot of construction on two of the floors for renovation.
I will totally recommend the chocolate stop on the way by the walkway over to the mall. GREAT!
Location is great with tours happening right outside the hotel. Some nice Irish pubs in the vicinity as well. Overall, nice...no big deal.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

This is my first time to Boston for a meeting. Honestly, all the hotel around is quite expensive and I choose this one because of availability and the name 'Marriott'. The hotel itself is pretty old as well as the room. The mattress and pillow are too soft, just because they are too old, you can feel a 'hollow' in the middle of it.
They totally forgot what I requested. For example I requested a late check out, however my card key was expired and I need to refresh it. Worse is someone crash in to check room while I changing.
Definitely not to stay there again. By the way, so many other choices around there, right?

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

I went back to Boston for my daughter's college graduation. Unless you have deep pockets, there is no way you need to spend several hundred dollars a night to stay at this hotel, even during peak.

I want to follow up on my visit to this property. As I once worked around the corner, I already knew the location is was an excellent one, close to both the Orange and Green Line T stations. I did not rent a car for this trip, which probably saved me another $50-$60 night for the car and hotel parking for my 3-night stay.

When I checked out of the hotel this morning, I took the elevator up the second floor and walked to the back of the connected mall, where I exited and walked under Dartmouth Street through a short tunnel that brings you into the Orange Line, Back Bay T station. I took the 'T' to State Street station and picked up the Blue Line T to Airport station, where one minute later a free airport shuttle bus took me to the American Airlines terminal. Couldn't be easier. Alternatively, one could pick up the Green line at either Prudential or Copley station to Government Center and take the Blue Line out to Airport. The hotel is within easy walking distance to all these T stops.

Upon late check in on Saturday evening, staff asked me if I wanted two singles or a king bed. I took the king and was assigned room 1115, which is a great room in excellent condition. I notice the room had a door that would allow it to have an adjoining room for families of four or five members. My only minor complaint with the room, as with most hotels, is that it really doesn't matter if you push the thermostat up or down for more heat or cooling. It appears to be set at 72.5F but it was cool this past weekend, and I really wanted a bit more heat for my very old bones. I really believe the temperature delivered to all rooms on the floor is governed by some master control. The bathroom was small but had a combination tub and shower. There were PLENTY of new, clean wash towels, medium towels, and bath towels. The room had an iron, ironing board, coffee maker with a bit of tea and coffee, hair blow-dryer, and refrigerator (not stocked). There is a Starbucks on the second floor for Starbucks coffee-lovers (not me).

The room had a large flat-panel TV, nice soft bed with nice clean sheets and comforter. Internet connectivity was available for a charge of $12.95 per day (12 noon to 12 noon). The hotel is in the process of renovating the second floor, where it appears they will have two or three new restaurants. For now, they have buffet breakfast and grill type meals on the first floor at Champions Sports Bar. Quite frankly, I believe most people go out to eat in the evening at many of great local restaurants.

The hotel is at least 4* if not 5* in many areas. Once the new restaurants open on the second floor, the hotel will be at least 4^ in my opinion if not higher. Location is definitely 5* if you factor in location and proximity to all the T stops. Shopping is 5* due to proximity to Boylston Street and major brand stores like Apple and Gucci. Attached hotel mall has many, many shops. There is a gigantic Shaw's grocery store directly across from the hotel, where you get numerous food items, deli sandwiches, bakery items, spirits, wine, and beer if you don't feel like going out. Room service is also available if you're lazy.

Champions Sport Bar, located on the first floor of the hotel, serves buffet breakfast and other items throughout the day. Unless you leave the hotel proper, there is no other restaurant at this Marriott. However, it appears that new ones will open on the second floor shortly. I took a shot at the full buffet breakfast on one day of my 3-day stay. The price is $19.95 for what they call the ‘All-American Breakfast’. For this offering, they have an omelet station, sausages, scrambled eggs, bacon, French toast, Belgian waffles, seasonal fruits, smoked salmon, hot oatmeal, cereals, breads, and pastries. By far, it wasn’t the best buffet breakfast I have ever eaten but adequate. Considering the location, you will not find much cheaper. If you’re not up for all that food, they have the ‘Good Start Breakfast’ for $14.95, which includes most of the above except the omelet station, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, and smoked salmon. Last, they offer the ‘Healthy Start Breakfast’, which offers breakfast breads and pastries. All three offerings include unlimited coffee, tea, juices and milks, which can be considerable add-ons at other restaurants. Children between the ages of 4-12 (at this writing) will be charged $4.95. Hours for the buffet are from 6:30 – 11:00 a.m.

I booked this hotel a couple weeks in advance for $110/night through a popular bidding for travel web site that uses Priceline.

TIP: If you’re going to be in Boston from for up to a week, get yourself a 7-day transportation pass for $15 at Airport Station (Blue Line), when you take the free shuttle from the airport to the Blue Line (Airport Station). It’s good for buses and the subway (all lines including the Silverline). You will save a small fortune over renting a car or taking a taxi. Boston public transportation is quite good.

Local Transportation - 5* (Get a Charlie Card or 7-Day pass)
Hotel Location - 5*
Local Shopping - 5*
Hotel Overall Cleanliness - 5*
Room Cleanliness - 5*
Check In Efficiency - 5* (late evening)
Hotel Food Venues - 3* (presently)
State of room, towels, and bed linens - 5*
Value 5* (for what I paid)
Service 3* (only because I used few hotel services)

As always,

Happy Travels!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed there for a recent conference in Boston. The wife and I stayed there for 5 nights.

I have no real complaints about the hotel, save for a couple of quibbles. Check in was fast on a Sunday. The bell hop was very friendly and offered us a complimentary refrigerator for our room.

The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. There were only 2 bath towels, which I thought was a bit surprising, but the maid gave us more whenever we asked. The shower drain was a tiny bit slow. It wasn't slow enough that you were standing in a pool of water during your shower, but it did slowly accumulate. The TV remote was worn and the buttons didn't always work. There was also no tv guide on their menu to figure out what was playing. You had to just flip through the channels. That was a bit annoying, but I wasn't there to watch TV. The room wasn't spacious, but it wasn't cramped either.

Check out for us was on Friday at 10:00. We asked for a late checkout, but they only granted us until 10:30. In my previous experiences at other hotels, I have always been given noon as a late checkout.

The hotel is connected to a large mall, which is nice. And you could actually walk from the hotel through the mall to the John B Hynes convention center (where my conference was) without going outside. That was very convenient. And the wife and I could also walk through the mall at night to save walking distance on the way to whichever restaurant we were going to.

The rates were a bit pricey, but so were the rates of all comparable hotels in the area. It was cheaper than the nearby Sheraton, by about $50/night.

Non valet parking was $35/day, valet parking was $42/day. The parking at the Sheraton was a bit more expensive.

Oh, and there's no business center with free internet access. You can, of course, bring your own laptop and pay a daily fee.

Amusing sidenote - When I asked the concierge to recommend a restaurant for lunch one day, he tried to direct me to the hotel restaurant. Thanks, but no thanks. (Maybe he gets a commission.)

Pros - location, connected to mall, comfortable bed
Cons - didn't grant a noon checkout time, nothing exceptional

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Boston Marriott Copley Place? Share your experiences!