“Always a Great Weekend” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Always a Great Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Even though we live only a few miles outside of Boston, my wife and I like to come into town for a mini holiday, from time to time.

The Marriott Copley Place is one of those hotels, where service, room, location and price all line up to make our stay a pleasurable experience.

Service - From the front desk to housekeeping, the staff always greets with a smile and ensures our needs are fulfilled. Quick check in, early housekeeping and dinner reservations made through the concierge are all performed perfectly with no need to follow up.

Room - Super clean, comfortable beds and great views, all provide a perfect headquarters for our weekend stay.

Location - Right between the Pru and Copley Place, with walkways to get to both, the Marriott is perfectly located to get to some of the best dining in the Back Bay.

Price - Competitive and sometimes better than the other properties in the area, with all the previously mentioned, to take into consideration, there is no need to look elsewhere for a weekend base of operation.

With the majority of my business taking place, out of town, I hesitate to stay in a hotel when home, but the Marriott Copley is one where my usual rule must be broken just for experience.

Room Tip: Request a river view room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Right in the centre of Boston within one part of the mall and an enclosed walkway bridge to the other part. Walk right through to the other side for lively outside bars, but the hotel bar on the 1st floor was busy and a great place to spend an evening without having to go outside- esp in winter when it gets VERY cold! Good buffet breakfast and spacious comfortable rooms. Bar, restaurant and reception/concierge staff excellent. A good choice!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed here to attend a big congress in Hynes Centre. Very comfotable rooms, excellent position, connected to the Centre by a gallery with shops, café and restaurants.
Amazing swimming pool and fitness Centre.
Very kind assistance
Excellent breakfast

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel is in the very good location near Prudential, Newsbury street, and in the same building with Copley Place. However, the room is quite small and crowded in which make me have to wait for a while when using elevator to high floor level. The room that I had got is not the same type as I booked (as their answers that full check-in today).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
56bbc, Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am disappointed to hear about your dissatisfaction with your room and elevators. We are in the midst of an Elevator Modernization Project that will improve service in the near future. Unfortunately during transition there tends to be occasional delays during peak times. I will review your comments with our Front Office Team regarding the room request to insure we stay true to honoring customer’s reservations. Once again thanks for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Flemington, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Was in town for a conference this weekend. Clean, typical Marriott hotel rooms, with good amendities at the hotel and in the area. Walkway to the mall/hall was added bonus. Very little interaction with the staff, which is probably a good thing. Used the new mobile check in but still had to wait for close to 10 minutes to get keys in the elite line, so wasn't much of a time saver. The bell hops basically harassed me for having rolling luggage that I could handle myself. (I travel a lot, so know how to handle my own bags well). Mobile valet pickup worked well and was quick. Can't say the same for the elevators. MAN, what a wait. Granted, was there for a conference, and like usual at a conference, there are waits between sessions as there is a high demand for them. HOWEVER, it was obsessive it seems for the number of elevators they had. And I was on a floor served by 3 banks of elevators, including the switch over lobby for the higher floors. Room had little sound insulation. Trust me, I know it was a louder conference group, but I shouldn't be able to clearly hear my neighbors talking on their phones clear as day. Booked a room on the concierge level, thinking it would be quieter, with less of the attendees on it..... apparently it was NOT a concierge level floor, nor was concierge service available on the weekend. Oh, and if you want Ice at midnight or 1pm when on breaks, don't stay on the 27th floor, as there is no ice machine. You need to wait for an elevator and go down flights to get ice. Believe they need some true Disney-style customer service training at the front end, and maybe more improvements to their elevator system (although it appears they've tried some computerized system..... didn't work to well.... although we did find 1 friendly staffer who actually brought us into the freight elevator when she saw the lines growing, so a bonus point there).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
JohnR3924YC, Front Office Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us. I am disappointed that your experience was not up to your expectations. I have shared your comments with my staff.

I would like to also take this opportunity to let you know that our hotel is currently engaged in an elevator modernization project. We are excited about how efficient they will be once the project is completed, although we also understand your frustrations while having at times to wait a bit longer than normal.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to further discuss your stay.

All the best.
Oswego, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference. When I walked in to this hotel, I was greeted with some very modern decor, an upscale look, and a bustling lobby, thinking that this would be a great stay.

This first impression could not be farther from the truth, unfortunately. Myself and some of my other group members were barred from checking in to the hotel, because apparently "an authorization form went missing" and they needed to locate one. Cue a four-hour long stay in the lobby while all of us were on the phone with our credit card people, trying to figure out how to fix this mess, which in the end was resolved rather painlessly. The desk clerk, I wish I could remember her name, was very nice the entire time, even though the situation wasn't the best. I really also wish I could say that the entire staff was that nice, but that isn't the case either.

The issues with the elevators as many other people have touched on are completely factual. Give yourself plenty of time whenever you need to get to another floor. The system they used is very odd - one set of elevators serves floors 1-27, while the other serves 1-5 and 27-38. Each one ran independent of each other, and the touch screen panel that they 'upgraded' to in lieu of physical buttons barely worked. At one point, we waited upwards of 15 minutes for an elevator. And MAN, are they slow.

The rooms were awful. Because of the amount of the people in the hotel during the weekend, which they clearly were not ready to handle, some room assignments got messed up and changed around. We were supposed to get a room with two beds, but were greeted instead with the tiniest room I've ever seen, with one king bed right in the middle. Imagine trying to stuff a family of four into one king bed. Pretty difficult to do, right? If it weren't for the rollaway bed they brought to us a couple hours later by mistake, it would have been. These rooms are some of the most tired, old, in-desperate-need-of-a-remodel rooms I have ever seen. Paint was peeling, furniture had scuffs and dents, windows were dirty and the areas around them were horribly patched. The bathrooms were small and still had showers that looked like they were from the 80's. The vanity was updated, though, so that was nice. But the water pressure and lack of space was just as bad. Housekeeping was needed in this room, badly, as it looked like my sheets had not been washed in quite some time. They were also quite itchy, which I'm personally hoping was from either the detergent or the sheets themselves, and not something else like bedbugs.

As expected with hotels this size and in this type of location, EVERYTHING IS OVERLY EXPENSIVE. Including the Continental Breakfasts, which weren't even that great to be honest. Maybe it was just the conference offering they gave for us. Internet ranges in price from $12.95 to around $18 per day, and is comparable to DSL speeds.

My major problem with this hotel was the service. I sincerely hope that the higher-ups of this hotel are given a refresher course in Etiquette and Professionalism, because they were severely lacking in this regard. Management was very arrogant, condescending and standoffish with hotel guests who were attending the same conference I was. The biggest problem I had was that I was included in an 'eviction' on the last night of my stay, for seemingly no reason. Management did not explain to me why I was being evicted, only that they would say "the room I was in had too many noise complaints against it, therefore eviction was required". This was at 3AM, mind you. I don't know about you, but getting woken up by someone banging on the door, then opening the door to see three of Boston PD's finest, in uniform, along with two security guards, while you're in your pajamas, saying you have five minutes to leave the property...it kinda scares you a little bit. Especially if you have no idea what was going on. Which I did not. I'm very thankful that the conference had hired their own security staff, and had advocated on our behalf, considering we were making absolutely zero noise the entire night (someone apparently called on us while I was out of the room earlier that night as well, so they investigated). If they hadn't, we would have been out on the street in 10-degree weather with no place to go. Instead, we were relegated to two couches in the lobby, and were watched like hawks for the entire night by the hotel security staff patrolling the lobby, almost like criminals.

I'm shocked, appalled, and infuriated with the way that management had handled any situation they were faced with, not including my own. Many staff were cold and unwilling to help even a normal hotel guest who wasn't associated with this conference. This was my first time in the city of Boston, and I can say that it was completely ruined by the experience I had at this hotel, between the rooms, the elevators, the price, and the management. I have no idea if I will be back to Boston in the future, but if I am, you can bet that I will absolutely not be staying here. If you want to have a great experience while you stay in Boston, regardless of what you're doing, I highly suggest anyone reading this review do the same.

Bottom line: Avoid this property. Period.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
56bbc, Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear about the many issues you encountered. Your comments are very important and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss further the details of your stay so I can better understand the circumstances surrounding your experience. At your earliest convenience please reach out to the Hotel Manager at 617-236 -5800. Looking forward to the opportunity to speak with you.
Swampscott, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I recently stayed at the Boston Marriott for a girls night. There were beer bottles on top of the ice machine when we arrived and still there when we left. The elevators were extremely slow (15-20 minute wait) and when I told the concierge that I didn't think they were working he told me they were fine and just slow and dismissed me. He came off very rude.

• Stayed March 2014
JohnR3924YC, Front Office Manager at Boston Marriott Copley Place, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying with us.

Thank you for reporting the empty bottles of beer and I am sorry that you felt that the concierge was dismissive when approached. Your comments are important to us and I will be addressing them with my staff.

Please contact me if you would like to further discuss your stay.

All the best.

Been to Boston Marriott Copley Place? Share your experiences!