“Very Basic...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Boston
Melbourne
“Very Basic...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very basic for a hostel as you would expect, I found the location to be a bit out of the way but not a huge problem. No aircon but i was lucky the weather wasn't to hot and i found the service of the people who worked there to be excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
40Berkeley, Front Office Manager at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. We are in the process of renovation. Please visit us next time you’re in Boston. Thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you in a future visit. For special deals and offers or if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Ignore the date suggested, my boyfriend and I stayed here in December 2011. We booked a few days in Boston at very short notice to go see American Nightmare at their first reunion show. Because it was so last minute we couldn’t afford anything too flash, and we ended up here. I don’t think I have anything negative to say!

I have never really been a fan of the idea of hotels, but this place was great. 40 Berkeley is located in the leafy suburbs of Boston within 5-10 minutes walking distance from Back Bay rail station and right opposite a 7-Eleven for all those impulsive bad snack cravings !

When first checking in, the girl was a little slow, and not the most talkative, but every other member of staff was amazing, they couldn’t do enough to help you. Most days when you walk through the doors you are met with the comforting smell of fresh popcorn which was complimentary in the lounge. There’s lots of social activities here for you to schmooze with other guests and the atmosphere is just lovely.

Rooms are basic, with shared bathroom facilities which were always kept clean and (relatively) free of inoffensive aromas. Our room had the basics, double bed, chest of drawers, wardrobe, table and lamp, no tv but there was wifi in the hostel and the room cost us £40 per night, so really can’t complain there.

Despite my hesitance to stay in hostels, I think that if we were to return to Boston, we would come here again just because we had such a lovely time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. Brings us delight to know you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for staying with us and see you in a future visit. For special deals and offers or if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Overall, I really enjoyed staying at 40 Berkeley. The location is great so I was able to walk everywhere. The prices can't be beat. It is basically a dorm room with a communal bathroom, but I never felt unsafe while I was staying there. There is no central a/c so it did get a little warm, but they have a ceiling fan and a personal fan in the rooms. The free breakfast was a basic continental breakfast. The staff was very helpful and nice. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay to accomodate basic needs for sleeping and showering and walking distance to downtown, I would highly recommend 40 Berkeley.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We were there for 5 nights and it suited us (3 friends in late 20s) perfectly. Our room was very basic (beds and a fridge) but it was all we needed. We used the shared bathroom and always got a sink or a shower straight away in the morning. The included breakfast was good value and included cooked, toast, bagels, cereal, fruit and drinks (fine for veggies too). The free wifi was excellent and the staff were helpful! The location was convenient for Back Bay train station and lots of Boston is walkable from the hostel. The only thing that would have improved my stay was a more comfortable pillow but that's just personal preference! If I went to Boston again I would definitely stay here and I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013

Yukon, Oklahoma, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

After doing a TON of research I was so looking forward to staying at 40 Berkeley for our first trip to Boston. We did stay during the heat wave in July and had prepared ourselves for the heat. I knew there wouldn't be any air conditioning and actually made other arrangements for 3 of our 5 nights there just in case it was miserable.
When checking in I noticed all the people sitting around the lobby by the portable AC units. No biggie, but the people were lying on the couches ALL day to stay cool. Read the fine print when checking in also!! You pay for all your nights up front, virtually locking you into staying there and not moving on if something isn't satisfactory. My family of 4 stayed in the 7th floor. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! It was so hot!! Our room was on the back side of the building and we had NO air flow!! Yes there is a ceiling fan that moves at 1/2 speed and a very small personal sided fan. It was literally like trying to sleep in a concrete box. The bathrooms were functional, but nothing to write home about. My bed faced the area of the building that housed the ladies restrooms. NOTE—the bathroom lights do not turn off, making it impossible to sleep. The light shined in my eyes all night. The breakfast was minimal and lacking in variety and flavor. To be honest we gave it a fair try. We were so glad when we had the opportunity to move to another hostel with air conditioning. I just don’t think I can recommend this place to a family to stay in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review as we value all our guest feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. We will be in the process of renovation and value your feedback. Our goal is to have a cooling system to make our guest feel at home and comfortable during the hot summer nights. Thank you again for staying with us and hope that you will consider us in a future visit. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

Goiania, GO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great location,very organized but no AC in the rooms. when I was checking out 1 hr before getting the bus the receptionist said that we didn't paid the full amount and it took us 30 minutes to find out that we had paid at check in! I got very upset and we almost missed the bus! So if you stay there make sure everything is ok because you might have a problem

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We value your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience caused at the check-out process. Thank you again for staying with us and hope that you will consider us in a future visit. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me at sbetty@40Berkeley.com

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed there for two nights with a friend and we could not sleep because of the heat. The lack of aircon was a bit problem. The ceiling fan and desk fan did almost nothing to help us and ruining the next day when trying to see Boston on practically no sleep. I admit it was during a heat wave but I gather they have this sort of problem every summer. Perhaps they place would be OK during the winter I would not risk it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
40Berkeley, Front Office Manager at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback as we value all guest reviews. Our deepest apologies for any inconvienece that was caused on your sleep as we are in the process of renovating and one of our goals is to have the room’s equipped with A/C. We do have ceiling fans and a desk fan in each room and available at our front desk are extra desk fans for your convenience. We have added industrial fans in the hallways on each floor to help with cooling down. It’s very disappointing that we did not meet your expectations and our standards. As we hope that our guests get to enjoy all that we offer and the sights of Boston. We hope that you will give 40 Berkeley a chance in the future and If there is anything we can do to assist you please feel free to contact me directly at sbetty@40berkeley.com.
Front Office Manager

Been to 40 Berkeley? Share your experiences!