“Quiet, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Caj Guest House Tremont Street

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Caj Guest House Tremont Street
You added Caj Guest House Tremont Street to your Saves list
677 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02118 (South End)   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Boston
St Louis
“Quiet, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at Caj house for one month while in Boston on business. Price is reasonable compared to other places I found. The location of the Tremont street property was very good. Public transit was not far, and there were nearby restaurants and shopping. I admit that I am a so-called "clean freak", so I was somewhat disappointed in the cleanliness of the apartment. It did not appear that the carpet had been vacuumed prior to my stay and the bedding was not the most clean either. I also noted the walls and baseboards could have used a good scrubbing. That said, I would still recommend this property given the location, reasonable price, and fair cleanliness. The bed was not very comfortable, and in my opinion cannot compare to a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
cajhouse, Owner at Caj Guest House Tremont Street, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
From reading your review, sounds like you enjoyed our building location but were not impressed with our cleaning and mattress hardness.

I am really disappointed we did not deliver the cleanliness we want to be known for. I will make sure this does not happen again. We changed our cleaning person this summer and I am now aware I did not direct her work with sufficient clarity. I will be inspecting more apartments and I will discuss clearer goals with her.

As far as the mattress softness goes, I would like you to know that thanks to your input and that of other guests, I am adding a new line item in our reservation request menu to ask if future guests prefer soft or stiffer sleeping surface.
We have both mattress surfaces already available, we just never thought about how to effectively market these choices and now we will.

Hope you will try us again and see our improvements.

Families
Castilla
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Because of my job I needed to spend four months in Boston and Caj house sounded as a good option. So, I rented one of the Tremont Street apartments and the experience was really good. The place is quiet, close to mayor shopping centers and well connected by bus and subway to the rest of the city. The apartment (mine was number six) was more than appropriate for a temporal stay, well-furnished and well maintained. In short, I really recommend Caj house, it is worth the price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My son stayed at the CAJ Worcester location for 10 days before moving to his permanent apartment in Boston, it was the best choice ever!
He send pictures and video, the apartments have the feel of a chic boutique hotel with the comforts of home, it was clean, comfortable and centrally located.
It was a wonderful way to start his new life in Boston.
We highly recommend it for your next Boston Vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed in one of the Tremont Street studio apartments during the summer of 2012. It was a great location and not far from the subway, so the rest of the Boston was also easily accessible. Room was clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. Pricing was great compared to area hotels. I've already recommended it to others and would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at the 677 Tremont Street branch (apartment 5) of Caj House for April 2012. It was excellent value for money. The location is reasonably central (within reasonable walking distance of the city centre, and within a convenient walking distance of the Prudential Center and its shops/restaurants/subway - though the spoke-like arrangement of the Boston subway means that it's sometimes quicker to walk when travelling in other directions near the centre). It's a traditional brownstone apartment block. There are several decent restaurants and cafes on and near Tremont St, a good grocery store one block north, and a slightly dubious convenience store right across the street (caveat: check the sell-by dates carefully!). The local neighbourhood feels safe. The flat itself was a fairly comfortable one-bedroom apartment. Kitchen for basics (not for complex food preparation). Easy chair, two standard chairs, one small table, bedside cabinet, TV with DVD player. Good heating system; plentiful hot water in the en-suite bathroom; good wireless internet connection. Washing machine and tumble dryer in the basement (and a bank down the road to obtain the many necessary $0.25 coins). Recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I could not recommend more highly CAJ House. Fantastic rooms, unbeatable location, great, kind and helpful staff. I will definitely go back to them when my travels bring be to Boston. If you are visiting Boston, before you check out any other hotel, check CAJ House first!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
traveler01262
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I stayed at CAJ House 2 times over the past 6 years - the first time at the Worcester Street location, and most recently for the month of Dec 2011 at the Tremont Street location. I have lived on and off in Boston proper for 15 years, and know the neighborhoods, price of rentals, and hotel costs very well. I can attest that CAJ House offers an incredible value for a furnished studio in a prime Boston neighborhood (South End).

Of the 3 rooms I stayed in, all have either hardwood floors or laminate floors that look like hardwood - my preference over carpeting for cleanliness. The mattresses were very comfortable, and sheets were of good quality.

The Tremont St location is great; just 2/5 of a mile to the Prudential in Back Bay where I was working (and location of a Green line train stop), and ½ mile to the Back Bay Orange Line/Amtrak station (on the route to NYC). It is also very close to all the restaurants in the South End (home of many of Boston’s top and trendiest restaurants). Tremont is a busy street, so I requested a room in the back and it was very quiet. Parking can be tricky in the South End (even with a resident sticker) but there are some non-resident spots between the Tremont Street location (at the corner of West Newton) and Mass Ave where you can keep your car for a few days (easiest to find such spots in the evening). The Worcester Street location is also convenient (7/10 of a mile from the Prudential), and is on a side street that is more residential.

The owner and caretaker are very helpful and responsive.

Note the kitchenettes are perfectly sufficient for heating up take-out or preparing simple stove top meals. They are not equipped for much more than that.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Caj Guest House Tremont Street? Share your experiences!