“Beautiful theatre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Theatre

Colonial Theatre
106 Boylston St., Theatre District, Boston, MA 02116 (Downtown)
617-426-9366
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #164 of 195 Attractions in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: This grand Victorian theater, built in 1900, today hosts touring Broadway shows and other productions.
Jerusalem, Israel
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful theatre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The theatre is a must to see, and is an old style theatre that is rarely seen today. Even though we sat right at the back of the theatre we still could see very well

Visited October 2013

new london, nh
8 attraction reviews
“Phenomenal production, grand old theatre in the heart of it all.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We saw "million Dollar Quartet" in October, with tix from a discount seller - stub hub. The
Energy of the show was breathtaking,as anyone over 55 will remember. The story is set on a December night in '56 at Sun records, and features, Elvis, Sam Perkins Johnny Cash, and a wannabe Jerry Lee Lewis. Over two hours, the audience is brought to their feet hooting for more!

I can't imagine a more fun-filled night of music anywhere. We saw the same show in both London and NYC, and this production is right up there...go if you can and see it if it comes to your area!

Caution...the theatre is not handicap accessible above the main floor, and the balcony seats are in the nosebleed section, and since it's 120 years old, they are not good for larger folks.

Visited October 2013
South Portland, Maine
5 attraction reviews
“Seat Location is Important”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I saw the same show during a run at the theatre and if I based my review on the first visit, the score would have been zero. While the theatre has been described as "cozy" by some, they were not likely in the balcony. The seats there are hard and narrow and the stairs to get to these seats are extremely steep. There was no elevator service, resulting in my 77-year old father having to climb multiple staircases to arrive at his seat. In this day and age, that is quite unacceptable! The seating was so uncomfortable that they distracted from the enjoyment of the show. Returning for a second show, our seats were in the front center orchestra and were much more comfortable. Based upon the prices charged for tickets, it would seem reasonable to expect that upgrades to access, safety and comfort could be made.

Visited February 2013
NH
“ADA does not mean Attitude (of) Disrespecting Allowed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Alert to tour companies - do not attend events at this theatre if anyone in your group has a walking disability. Do not assume a disability will be accommodated; not only will you not be accommodated, you will be rudely treated by the staff.

Our tour guide was misinformed that an elevator existed in the building, or that accommodation would be made for people with a walking disability. After showing my ticket, I requested the elevator, due to my walking disability. The ticket taker rudely informed me there was no elevator and I would have to climb the stairs. She said absolutely NOTHING about speaking to management regarding potential accommodation for a disability. It was quite painful, but I got up the four flights to the Mezzanine level. I presented my ticket upstairs, and I was sent to a door at the end of the hallway. I presented my ticket at that door, and I was rudely and loudly told I was at the wrong door – they sent me back down the hallway to a door mid-way. I was told again I was at the wrong door and to return to the first door where I had presented my ticket. I did not have to be traipsing up and down the hallway, through crowds of people. Every one of the ticket takers I encountered was rude.

When I finally entered the Mezzanine, I realized I had to climb DOWN several sets of stairs to get to my seat in front, Row A. Good thing I bought my cane, but I wished I had brought my walker, since by this time my joints were screaming. So I arrived at my Row A seat, and realized there was absolutely no leg room, and it was simply impossible to bend my disabled knees so I could sit down in the seat. It is a good thing the show was not sold out, because I had to move to an aisle seat several rows back, with limited view of the stage. Customers near me suggested I talk to a manager, because they were aware of my visible discomfort. I did not want to climb back up several flights of stairs, then climb down four flights of stairs only to be told by the rude staff that no manager was to be found, then have to repeat the process, so I stayed put.

The show, Jersey Boys, from what I could see of it, was fabulous. The theatre, not so much. The able bodied need to be aware of the limited leg room and obstructed view of the stage. Disabled people will not be accommodated here, so choose another venue.

Visited February 2013
Norwood, Massachusetts
17 attraction reviews
“My favorite theater in Boston.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I'm so glad the theater is back in operation after a brief hiatus. Easy access to parking garages and plenty of restaurants.