“Best History Museum in Boston for the whole family!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 196 Attractions in Boston
Type: History Museums, Ships, Museums
Activities: Arts and crafts, Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: At the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum, you can be a part of the famous event that forever changed the course of American History! It’s more than a stroll through historic artifacts – it’s an adventure! Located on the Congress Street Bridge in Boston, Massachusetts, this floating museum is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before. Live actors, high-tech, interactive exhibits, authentically restored tea ships and the stirring, multi-sensory documentary “Let it Begin Here,” are just a taste of what you’ll see, hear and feel. Meet the colonists, explore the ships and dump tea overboard just as the Sons of Liberty did on that fateful night of December 16, 1773. Stop in at Abigail’s Tea Room for teatime and visit the Gift Shop for special souvenirs. It’s educational, entertaining and enlightening — an experience not to be missed by adults and children of all ages. Your tour of the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum will last approximately one hour and will take you through a variety of displays that are interconnected. The tour is designed to give you the opportunity to participate, explore and learn about the people, events and consequences that led up to the American Revolution in the order in which they actually occurred more than 230 years ago.
Watertown, Massachusetts
“Best History Museum in Boston for the whole family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I live near Boston and when my elderly parents come to visit, I am always looking for something to do with them that will entertain both them and my young children. We have done much of the touristy things in Boston and many of the museums and we were all pleasantly surprised with the Boston Tea Party Museum. It really makes the history come alive via the use of very fun and personable actors and technology. It was very interactive and my kids could not get enough out of being able to repeatedly throw "boxes of tea" into the harbor. I will go again when other friends and relatives come to town.

Visited February 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
106 attraction reviews
“Terrible...not worth $25 bucks! Save your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I really really wanted to like this but for $25 bucks come on...a bit stretching the over the top reenactments and the so called museum. This was rebuilt from a past fire and now they added on a "museum" which amounts to revolving around an original tea chest.

The tour starts with this really bad play regarding the tea party attack and taxation without representation history, with some crazy chanting and repeating some boring history passages. Then you are shuffled off to a new replica of one of the two boats allowing you to move through the tight spaces of the boat and throw a few tea chests off the side with a rope attached.

You aren't allowed on the other ship. Then holding your character cards and fake feathers you are shuffled into the museum itself which amounts to movie like images and moving pictures making boring speeches about the impact of the tea being destroyed (yawn) and then a history of how this original crate made its way back to this museum?? (double yawn). You then watch a brief movie about Lexington and Concord and Paul Revere which is the highlight of this whole tour. Of course you are exited to a tea and snack shop (free to purchase) and then this gigantic chotchkie gift shop with floor to ceiling Boston related gifts and bad replicas of everything Revolutionary War related.

There is no possible justification for this place costing as much as it does since it was not worth it. I can see maybe $8 bucks but $25?? Skip this place and go visit the Old North Church...at least that is worth it. This was as bad as Paul Reveres House!

Visited February 2013
CEOHistoricTours, Owner at Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear lip89:

To state the obvious, I was particularly disappointed with your overwhelming dissatisfaction with the Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum. Let me start by saying that we are so confident that this attraction is worth every bit of the admission price that we offer a full 100% money back guarantee. If you will kindly send me the information for your tickets, I will be more than happy to refund your purchase price.

It is hard to know where to start and difficult not to be defensive. We have spent the past ten years and over $25 million making the new Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum project a state-of-the-art experience. It is, indeed, more of an experience than a museum, although we are addressing the museum aspect of the site with an extensive program of interpretive signs, however, in fact we are more of a visceral and experiential opportunity for people who want to hear a compelling story based on facts and take home the memory of participating in the event at the Boston Tea Party.

Everything you said in your review is challengable on an objective basis. Quite frankly, I don't think it would do much good to do so because I know, at the very end, you put us in the same category as the Paul Revere House when you say, "This was as bad as Paul Revere House!" I am pleased and proud to be in the same company as the historic and authentic Paul Revere House. Suffice it to say that everything in the museum was based on factual research to excruciating detail. The ships have been made from original plans from the 1770s and much of the dialogue you found boring was based on actual letters of correspondence and diaries of the day.

Again, I am more than happy to refund your purchase price. The majority of our Trip Advisor reviews show this to be very well accepted by the vast majority of our audience.

Chris Belland
CEO
Beacon, New York
25 attraction reviews
“A very good living history experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I visited on a snowy Sunday in February which added a degree of authenticity since the actual event was in December. As a teacher of US history and as a reenactor, I really enjoyed the museum. While I did not learn anything new that was earth shattering, I did learn some things about the Eleanor and the Beaver that were interesting and that I can use in class. I will concede that this is an attraction for the casual observer of the Revolution but that being said I think it was very well done and will return with my daughter in a few years when she can understand what she's seeing.
As for the reviewers who claimed it was "inaccurate" or "dumbed down", all I can say is either they are nitpickers or ill-informed themselves. This was well done and based on primary sources. I would certainly recommend this museum and will return myself.

NEW JERSEY
9 attraction reviews
“Kids had fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The kids loved being in character at the beginning of the tour and throwing tea overboard during the tour! The movies were interesting, but a little long for the younger crowd.

Visited November 2012
6 attraction reviews
“worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

me and my dad went to the tea party museum. we were the only ones there during the tour (it was a cold day) but it was awesome! the actors were phenomenal and since we were the only ones there, i liked that we got to participate with them and ask questions freely. im a big time history buff so seeing one of two remaining tea party boxes was awesome. you get to taste tea at the end too. i would say its best for history buffs and children/teens and families alike, not so much for couples. The only thing i did not like was the price, a little bit too expensive but we enjoyed ourselves!

Visited January 2013