“Restaurant situated in the old prison” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Scampo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 2,670 Restaurants in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cambridge
Transit: Located directly across the street from Charles/MGH stop on the red line
Description: The stunning first floor restaurant in Boston’s Liberty Hotel, Scampo, is a culinary destination created by legendary chef Lydia Shire and The Lyons Group in April of 2008. In Scampo, Shire’s reputation for defying tradition translates into Italian-inspired cuisine unrestrained by borders, drawing on flavors from the Mediterranean and Middle East. Scampo is a reflection of Chef Shire: bold, red and full of energy. The contemporary space features shiny copper lanterns, a glowing orange bar and seating overlooking the mozzarella bar.
Stockholm
“Restaurant situated in the old prison”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This restaurant is situated in Liberty Hotel an former prison that closed as late as in the 1990-ties.
Today it is a very good restaurant with very good service and good seafood but not really excelling like the very best restaurants are able to do. We had a very nice evening and were very satisfied when we left. I can also recommend this restaurants for couples.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Jacksonville, Florida
“Leave the Food, Take the Server”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My partner and I enjoyed an amazing dinner here with friends. The hotel is quite impressive and although we did not stay here, we left our 5-star just to see what all of the "hype" was about. First impressions truly are everything and I must say (regretfully) that the staff gives off a certain air that makes the experience a bit less enjoyable. This started with the young and less than helpful hostesses and ended with the unattentive wait staff. While I must admit that our party was clad in jeans and snow coats, coming from a pretty laid back ski weekend, we were not one to drink water and share one entree. Nevertheless, the food was absolutely amazing! The artichoke and prosciutto pizza was flavorful and the steak tartare was the best that I have ever had. I am sad to state that although our table ordered the breaded green beans I was not quick enough to try one myself :) Great restaurant and awesome drinks, but the staff needs a lesson in service and possibly a crash course in general social tact.

Dublin, Ireland
“Unbelievable, I didn't even come close to finishing my plate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We chose to eat here based on many recommendations, so either we had a bad night or our tastes are very different.

We were very excited by the menu, it looked exciting with an emphasis on classic Italian with a twist and great ingredients. Unfortunately all the lovely ingredients, truffle oil, veal escalopes, artichoke hearts, clams, prosciutto, rocket salad were violated: drowned in cheese/oil, wilted or added to some other ingredients not on the menu which made the dish collapse.

I was shocked that something that sounded so good on the menu could fall so short of expectation. It is a real gripe that major ingredients suddenly appeared, for the worst, on the plate which were not mentioned on the menu. My fiancée joked that when reading the menu I should have tried imagining the worst version of what was written and that was what was served.

Coming from Europe, with a love for actual French and Italian cuisine, this was a total shock. To be honest, I'm not sure if our taste buds were just completely rocked by the difference, but for me, and I'd say anyone who regularly eats in Europe, this was not good. Not good at all, except for the cod ball starters which were excellent (but not with their crazy sauce). That said the menu is an objective annoyance.

Setting the food aside, the setting was great, young and fun, it is noisy but that adds atmosphere, you could ask to sit at the back which is quieter if that's a problem. The service was good too.

I should also mention that all our fellow, I presume American, dinners seemed to enjoy their plates but as I mentioned, very unusually for me, I could not bring myself to eat more than half my food (and I was hungry from ganderflanking in the polar vortex).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Birthday dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Food was Amazing and service was incredible!!! Milik was a great server and hooked me up with the best pasta dish ever

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Excellent Italian food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Excellent food and service. The atmosphere of the place is amazing. The wines and cocktails are out of this world. One of the best restaurants in Boston.

Visited December 2013