“C'est Magnifique” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Voile

La Voile
261 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116 (Back Bay)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Voile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 2,814 restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield / Gloucester
Transit: Copley square or Hynes Convention Center on Green Line
Description: La Voile is an authentic French brasserie, opened in Cannes in 1947. After a few years under a new ownership, it relocated to Boston in 2007.
Acton, Massachusetts
“C'est Magnifique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was perhaps the best meal I've had in Boston. It was a truly French experience. The waiters, the menu, the food, the wine, the architecture on Newbury Street and since we sat outside on a beautiful spring day, the ambiance was perfect. The entire experience was C'est Magnifique.

I dined with my mother, wife and my youngest daughter home from college. We ordered a bottle of Gosset Brut Champagne to celebrate my wife's birthday, mother's day and my daughters grade point average. They were out and offered us a bottle of pink Champagne. We were skeptical, but taking our waiters advice became a regular thing during this meal. The pink Champagne was delicious. The menu available online doesn't represent the menu we saw in the restaurant. So don't go there if you see something on the online menu and are expecting to order it. The salads were all very fresh and the dressings light and flavorful. The entrees were outstanding. My wife ordered the dover sole, brought to the table bone-in and they deboned it on a side tray. My wife reports it was outstanding. I ordered the pan seared beef tenderloins that they were prepared perfectly. My mother ordered the grilled rib eye with hand-cut pommes frites with beurre maitre d'hôtel - "To die for". And my daughter had the classic french veal stew which was delicious. Wines were selected with help from the waiter and both were very good. Desert was also excellent. My mother and daughter had the cream puffs with warm chocolate sauce, my wife had the warm pear tart and I had the cheese plate. After dinner coffee was perfect. The complementary after dinner drinks were a pleasant surprise. It was expensive. Party of four, with Champagne, two bottles of wine, three courses each and coffee came to $600. It was typical leisurely French dinning - the meal lasted 3 hours - and we had a great time. In my opinion, this was a reasonable price for a magnificent experience. I highly recommend La Voile on Newbury Street in Boston.

90% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Good but you Don't Pay such a High Price in Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We enjoyed a nice meal prepared to a decent standard served by a (faux) French waiter. We're visitors from Europe but, even in Paris, bistro meals are northing like these prices !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Save the airfare!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We live here and walk to La Voile. We have always had a great time and a great meal. My wife likes having Jerome kiss her on both cheeks, seat us, and then it feels like we are in France. Service is wonderful, wine is perfect and the ambiance can not be beat. We claim that it saves us airfare to France. In the winter, sit at the bar. In the summer, come early and sit outside and let the world go by on Newbury Street. They do not take reservations, however, for the 'terrace' the outside patio, so it is hit or miss (thus come early) if you really want to enjoy the summer evening. The sole is special, and the 'show' when they de-bone it at table side deserves a round of applause.

Collingswood, New Jersey
“Felt like Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Staying at the Newbury and after a very busy day we just did not feel like walking too far. This was perfect - just steps away! We sat outside on the most gorgeous Spring evening in Boston. The tables are VERY small but we did not mind. Our server (?French) was very nice and accommodating. We had the escargot which was very good and garlicky along with the Risotto which was cooked perfectly - al dente just the way I like it. We had the filet for dinner and it was cooked perfectly. We did not have dessert as we went next door for that (Creperie). I am sure when we return to the Newbury we will make this a definite stop for dinner!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“In agreement with all other reviewers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic food and service. Wine list is superb. Parking is tricky- no valet- look for parking around Clarendon or Dartmouth. Al Fresco eating is great with perfect people watching.
Highly recommended.