“It was convenient but not the cleanest.” 2 of 5 stars

Lake Inn
45 Enterprise Lane, Hardy, VA 24101   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hardy
Dallas, Texas
“It was convenient but not the cleanest.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

After reading the two 2008 reviews I was extremely hesitant to make reservations at this motel, especially after reading about the cockroach,  but I rationalized that by now all the problems would have been addressed. So we made reservations for two days to attend a wedding. We were particularly encouraged by the two reviews in August 2012 and felt a lot more at ease about our decision not withstanding the fact that the Inn charged our AMEX card two weeks before we checked inn.

When checked in we found the motel was somewhat aged but the room seemed clean enough. We had a coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, and a vintage colored TV.  We had to visit our relatives so we left our unpacking until later. When  we returned that evening we unpacked and turned down the covers on the beds and discovers what happened to that cockroach that ran across the room in 2008 .  It was dead between our bed's cover and the blanket.  Because  the roach was dead and we really didn't want to change rooms late at night we stayed the following night and reported our findings to the checkout clerk.

Since there are no other hotels in the area and it is centrally located, I would stay there again if I had too but would rather stay somewhere else.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were a bit leery to stay here because of the lack of recent reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. We wanted an inexpensive place to stay on the lake and this was just the ticket. We had two non smoking queen rooms. They gave us rooms beside each other which were great. The rooms smelled of cleaner, but at least we knew they were clean! The beds were a bit hard but nothing unbearable. I would suggest bringing your own pillows though if you have room. The towels were the typical small motel towels so I would also suggest brining a bath towel if you are picky but the ones provided were clean and did the trick.

The breakfast was doughnuts, yogurt and toast, all of which were fresh. Coffee, juice and hot water also available.

The staff were great. Both the reservation process and check in were very smooth. The hotel confirmation was emailed to me so that was nice, it was not needed, but good to have. It is also within walking distance to a gas station and close to mini golf and also other off-lake activities.

We will definitely stay here again. Many times we travel to the lake just for the day but after finding the Lake Inn, we may take more weekend trips now having a reliable and inexpensive option to stay at the lake.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I decided on a whim to take our boat up to Smith Mountain Lake for 2 days, and just needed an inexpensive place to stay for 1 night. After calling several places in the area, we decided to stay at the Lake Inn. Like I said in the title, it suited our purpose. I thought the service both on the telephone and in person were very good. We had a room with a queen bed (VERY firm), TV, mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Our bathroom had a stand-up shower only, but I presume they have rooms available with a tub if you need one. We didn't try to get on the internet, so I don't know about the wi-fi service. The facilities were very clean, but definitely dated. The room key was literally a key on a keyring with the room number. I haven't seen one of those in years! The air conditioning worked very well, but was also very noisy. Also, there were 2 lights in the bathroom - one being a heat lamp and the other being the light & fan. If you like to keep a "night light" on in the bathroom, there was no way to do that without the fan noise. But since the air conditioner was so noisy, the fan noise didn't matter. While I didn't personally look over the complimentary breakfast items, my husband said that there were some donuts (very fresh), great coffee (but only powdered cream), bagels (and perhaps bread) available for toasting and juice. They also offer smoking and non-smoking rooms. The location was convenient for us. My husband commented that it would be a great place for fishermen(women) to stay. I guess because the parking is suited for boats/trailers and because of the proximity to public boat launch areas. I would probably stay there again if I could be sure that the bed wasn't as hard as the one we had during this visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel for the past four years and spent well over a thousand dollars with them. - namely because until this summer they were the only motel in town. My stay this past weekend was horrible. We rented four rooms for one night (three for our family and one for a friend). After coming back from a late dinner at 11:30pm the key for one of the rooms would not work. We contacted management which took 1 1/2 hours before putting two members of our party into another room. When making the reservations I put the rooms on my credit card. When we checked in I made sure they front desk staff knew to charge my husband's credit card - and I gave them his credit card. After returning home and checking my bank account I realized they had charged my husband's card for the roooms as well as my credit card. This put my account into the red. I have spent the past 48 hours trying to have this corrected. I even found the name and phone number of the owner and called him. I was told by the owner there was nothing he could do until he talked with the manager because she was the only one authorized to credit my card. The owner also told me the manager was out of town and there was nothing he could do until she returned.
The rooms are moderately clean and have small televisions.
I happy there are now other accomdations in the area where we can stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

On the surface a really great room. Problem appeared on the 3rd day of our stay when a cockroach ran across the room! Unfortunately it was late friday night and the motel was full so another room was not available. The next day we were told it was a "water bug", but NOT in my opinion, having seen roaches all over the world! No offer of a refund for part of time....nothing!

• Liked — Took pets
  • Disliked — The cockroach in our room.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lake Inn? Share your experiences!