“Great property, big rooms, extremely overcrowded.” 2 of 5 stars

The Omni Grove Park Inn
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   290 Macon Avenue, Asheville, NC 28804   |
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
New Bern, North Carolina
“Great property, big rooms, extremely overcrowded.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The hotel is a beautiful and historic property. However, the photos don't display the massive crowds constantly moving around inside the hotel. Were my wife and I looking for a hotel located within a shipping mall, we very well could have selected one. The Omni Grove Park Inn's lobby level was overly crowded the entire weekend during our stay, forcing us to maneuver through a crowd full people reeking of alcohol from the bar and families desperately searching for a spot to fit all of their children.

Our room was located in the recently renovated Vanderbilt wing; it was large and comfortable. The staff were all courteous, polite, and eager to help. Were it not for the extreme overcrowding, our stay would have been great. There are simply too many guests for the property to function comfortably. We will not be returning to this hotel but instead will choose one of the smaller luxury hotels that will not be so overcrowded.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Florham Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Beautiful, romantic historic hotel. Great spa experience. I got a conference rate, otherwise a bit pricey but worth it (have paid full rate for other visits). Asheville has a number of great restaurants and don't miss a visit to the Vanderbilt estate, Biltmore House.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Charlotte
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was the actual letter I sent to the Loyalty Ambassador and a Hotel Manager:
The resort is beautiful, the views and food are amazing, and your staff is extremely friendly.

Unfortunately, I had so many issues with my stay, that I know I won’t return for pleasure.

Day 1 – Check-in: The refrigerator had someone else’s food in it. The chair at the desk had very little support in the seat area. The mattress was too soft, and I didn’t sleep at all that night. I’m 5’10” and didn’t fit comfortably at the desk to get my work done, and I had to bend down to look into the bathroom mirror to get myself ready – I’m not abnormally tall.

Day 2: I requested a room change only to be notified that all beds are standard, and I was offered a bed board. “GREAT!”, I thought. After returning to my room after a long day of work, there was an extra ironing board – I don’t want to believe they expected me to sleep on that. David, at the front desk, listed compassionately to every complaint I had and offered me a glass of wine – very thoughtful, but I declined. As I told him, it’s not my nature to complain, things happen, and we ALL make mistakes, but I was exhausted, and there were too many things that went wrong, and I just want to sleep. A better night’s rest was achieved, but ended at 3:30A when the heater fan started making a loud noise. I couldn’t complain anymore; so I just dealt with it until I departed this morning.

Room Tip: After I sent my letter, I was told I was in the Inn.. the older part to the hotel. It was suggested...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
hmseminole
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel was very disappointing. You get a small room for $300 a night that needs to be updated desperately. There were stains on our pillow shams and duct tape holding the tile down in the bathroom. The rooms are extremely small with double beds. We tried to get a different room, but the staff did not even try to accommodate us. The grounds are beautiful, but go for a day trip and stay somewhere else in Asheville. We have stayed at many Omni properties and this property is not up to Omni standards.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Lunch was terrific at the Edison Cafe. We both had the irresistible seafood special, a lobster bisque type sauce, with a hint of fresh tarragon over pasta. An excellent Sauvignon blanc completed the meal. Be sure to order the cornbread, cooked to order in a small iron skillet. Did I mention the view? It is beautiful. Ask for a window seat.

Stayed December 2014
Belmont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I choose a spa resort in the NC/SC area each year around Christmas as our present to each other versus gifts. We've been to the Grove Park several times over the past 10 years and this last time was our best experience. The service and restaurants have improved over what was really good already. The Vue restaurant was outstanding, our top meal of 2014.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The location is magnificent, with views of the valley around Asheville and the mountains around the valley. We paid a little extra for a mountain view room, and we thought it was worth it. The room itself was just OK, though, with a tiny bathroom - not the room we were expecting from a luxury hotel. We were also not expecting to pay $25 per day, plus 11% tax, for a "Resort Services Charge" which did not entitle us to any services other than staying in the hotel. For my money (and it was my money), I'd rather just have this included up front in the room charge.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Omni Grove Park Inn? Share your experiences!