“Mixed Customer Service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
CHAPEL HILL
“Mixed Customer Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Yes, this is a beautiful historic property, but
Omni Hotels needs to rethink their business strategy. I mostly experienced this as a low class way of running a high class place. I went to go to the Grove Park Inn specifically for a spa water treat to celebrate the end of two years of terrible stress. I went to the website for rates and room info and was unable to book a mid week package (I am kinda local), so I called hotel reservations and informed the woman that the website had errors and needed to be updated. Well, after explaining that she could not match the rates, I opted for a less expensive room without a view. She was awesome, because when we checked in she gave us a fabulous room upgrade with a view. Bonus points for her. However, the clerk who checked us in was completely rude, checking my ID for the senior citizen discount while my senior citizen man was standing right in front of him. I have traveled with my senior citizen man all over this country for 8 years. Plane tickets, hotels, all of it. I always pay and say senior citizen discount, and never a problem until Omni. TACKY. Omni, what do you want? Do you want to encourage visitors or discourage them? Because most of the time I felt gouged. It was very clear to me that the priority was getting my money as much and as often as possible. Not subtle at all. Half of the staff knew I had a package that included breakfast, parking and the resort fee. Half of the staff kept trying to gouge me for parking, resort fee and breakfast. So Omni….. do you want to offer a package or not? Train your staff properly. It was embarrassing and a complete hassle to have to continually fight for my “package.” If you are going to offer a discount, do it happily and consistently or don’t do it at all. I have spent the entire week speaking with my clients who stayed at The Grove Park Inn BEFORE Omni bought it and they all were shocked. I’ve had much better stays across the country at Holiday Inn Express!!!! I’m a Hilton awards member and so I shall stay. Last year we spent an ENTIRE WEEK at a wonderful spa in Washington state (Bonneville Hotsprings YES!!!) for about the same price as two nights at The Grove Park Inn and the customer experience was far better in every way.

The food. We had dinner on the sunset terrace. The view and sunset were splendid. I knew I had to have the overpriced filet. It was fabulous, but sparingly presented. My senior citizen man opted for the cheapest meal and was unhappy. He should have had the filet. Ha ha ha.

Breakfast buffet was fabulous. Lots of protein choices, and the made to order omelette chefs were friendly and accommodating. I got the extra spinach I so wanted. We especially enjoyed the local made blueberry sausage. It was plenty of food to hold us beyond lunch. The wait staff was excellent.

The SPA: the reason we came….. ahh spa-hhh. The absolute best thing about The Grove Park Inn Spa are the waterfall hot tubs. I hear they are only available at this spa (United States) YOU MUST DO THIS!
I am a spa junkie: trained early in life out west. Not massages, (I’m very picky) the WATER. I am a hot/ cold plunge fanatic. It is my favorite thing in the world to do for relaxation and detoxing. The hot tub in the women’s area was almost hot enough by my standards, and the cold plunge was wonderful, however I prefer a full cold plunge pool. I realize most people fear the cold plunge….. sigh, so the deep tub works quite well here. The steam room was fabulous, and not too overwhelming. The sauna was not hot enough in my snobby opinion. So I was disappointed there….The spa is absolutely beautiful, and well designed. I really liked the private hang out spots here and there amidst the spa for sitting and relaxing. The lighting was magical. However I wish the sauna, steam and hot tub cold plunge areas were co ed. They are usually separated in the United States because US men are spa ignoramouses. Anyhow…. I really liked that there was no obnoxious New Age music pumped in everywhere. I realize many love that stuff, however I shudder to call it music. It was available underwater at a very low volume, so I was not annoyed. We were waterfall pigs: we immersed ourselves in the pounding waters giving a vicchy shower (water massage) to our tired old backs, necks, hips, legs, arms and feets. (giggle) I was pain free for two days. That never happens. We both have chronic pain. We were completely blissed out. However, I awoke at three a. m with a very bad rash. I will not dock the spa points because I am chemically sensitive. But I would like to go back if I knew the pool chemicals were better balanced….. this probably is not an issue for most….. I loved this spa! Just have to figure out how to get this spa in my back yard.
Oh the outdoor area was fabulous as well. Ahhh spa-hhhh how I miss you…..sigh….

Room Tip: A mountain view room is best
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We had a drink on the patio on a sunny afternoon and the mountain view was gorgeous. Service very cordial. Hotel so interesting to stroll through--display cases in hallway tell history of Inn. Wish I'd had to browse gift shop--seemed to have good stuff!! Can't wait to return when we can stay longer!!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I grew up going to the Grove Park. Every year, the day after Christmas my grandmother would take all the women in the family to Asheville to have brunch. The hotel is beautiful and steeped in such history that even if you aren't planning on staying it is worth it to go and simply visit. But dining is always a great option as well as they have dining rooms with beautiful views and the option to eat out on a large back patio. The view is stunning! As and adult I have had the pleasure of staying overnight at the hotel and the room was comfortable and my stay was lovely. I personally think the hotel is best experienced around the holidays as the grounds are covered in ice sculptures and the hotel is decorated gorgeously. If you are lucky you will even get to see some snow. Stay there or simply dine there ... it's wonderful.

Room Tip: If you stay, be aware there are several wings. If you like the history, request to stay in the orig...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

You will do yourself a disservice if you stay anywhere else when visiting Asheville. The location and ambience of The Grove Park Inn are unbeatable. It truly is a world unto itself, yet it is also close to all the restaurants and activities of downtown, The Biltmore Village, River Arts District, etc.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Pflugerville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband has to have continuing education classes each year to keep his CPA license and since our kids are grown now, I accompany him on many of these trips. This location also allowed us to visit our kids who are attending college near by. The hotel was by far one of the most unique hotels I have ever stayed in. My husband and I love historic places and the history of this hotel is offered all throughout it's rooms/floors by means of pictures and informational plaques. The views from every angle are nothing short of spectacular and breath taking. The staff is very friendly and courteous and they are very appreciative of your business. I would love to return with my kids to this place one day--so yes...I would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We were so excited to stay in this hotel but we were disappointed on so many levels!! When we arrived the valet guys herded us into a area where they unloaded our car and I assumed the same people would then take the luggage to the room. Wrong, Another group, the bell people brought it to the room about fifteen minutes later. This process required two separate tips. The same process happens when you leave.

I went to check in and they didn't have the room I reserved, so they put us in a similar room. They then told us about the $25 resort fee and the $15 parking fee!! We spent $50 before we even got to the room!! I didn't realize the room they gave us had a connecting door to another room until we were unpacked. Don't ever get a room at this hotel with a connecting door unless you want to feel like you are in the same room with strangers!!! The neighbors snoring kept me awake most of the night.

After charging us the $15 to park, neither key worked to get in or out of the garage, which was very far from the main hotel. We had dinner reservations for 7:45pm, so we went to check in with the hostess at 7:42 and were told to come back at the correct time!! That was after sitting in the great hall lobby for thirty minutes and never being waited on for cocktails. We were looking forward to sitting by the big fireplaces, which are the main attraction in the lobby, but were rudely told it was to early for a fire!! It was the end of September and cool.

We are not big eaters but wanted a steak. We decided to split a $50, 22oz steak which didn't settle to well with the waitress. We also brought our own wine, which cost $25 to uncork, and she never bothered to refill our glasses. The food was mediocre as well as the service.

We had a King room with a mountain view in the historic section, which was really nice and very big. The bathroom was not very big but nice. The bed sagged in the middle, but the sheets and pillows were great. Beautiful period furniture with big leather chairs and a big TV. The room would have been perfect without the connecting door!!!

Just so you know we are in our mid sixties, travel extensively and have stayed at some of the best hotels in the US. Sometimes it's the people and service that make the hotel a great experience. I do think this hotel is worth seeing but I would not recommend staying there. I would like to add that the bell people and the valet people were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view room. Make sure your room doesn't have a connecting door unless you need on...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you very much for being our guest and taking the time to forward comments about your stay. We appreciate the candid feedback you've provided that we will use as a tool to continue improving our overall experience. We apologize for some of the confusion you endured upon arrival. Our goal is to provide our guests with a hands-free experience that embodies southern hospitality and lends to a worry-free, relaxing stay with us.

We work hard to ensure that our guests are aware of all costs associated with our resort prior to booking their room and will continue to review our platforms to ensure all of this information is available. After years of research, in our attempt to balance all of our guests comfort, we do not light fires in the fireplaces until it the temps drop below 50, which has not been the case quite yet this year. We are sorry however for coming across as rude in explaining this to you. We appreciate that you are seasoned travelers and do thank you again for staying with us and letting us know about your experience.
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I absolutely love this property! I admit, I am a big fan of Omni anyway, but this hotel has a view that makes it very hard to leave and go see the city. All I wanted to do is sit in one of the restaurants or lounges and look at the view. We did take the trolley tour to the city and drive along the Blue Ridge parkway for a while, but mostly just enjoyed the beautiful hotel. Next time...I will book a spa visit for sure!

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Been to The Omni Grove Park Inn? Share your experiences!