“Grove Park Inn for the Win!!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Omni Grove Park Inn to your Saves list
The Omni Grove Park Inn
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   290 Macon Avenue, Asheville, NC 28804   |
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
NC
“Grove Park Inn for the Win!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

After popping the question to my girlfriend at the top of Mt. Mitchell, we proceeded to spend three luxurious nights here at the GPI. If you have ever imagined a place for romance and relaxation, this is it. The grounds are beautiful and all three wings of GPI are great. This is not my first stay here, but it was the first time we stayed in the Club Level. We were so pampered by the staff and I felt like a Millionaire every day I was there. The rooms was magnificent and the restaurants do not disappoint. The best part of the GPI is the Spa. If you stay here you must book a day at the spa. This is truly a place to relax and there is no pressure to buy massages or any extra treatments. Thank you GPI for making our proposal weekend so very special!!!

Room Tip: Club Level is outta of this world. Been here five times and in all wings and have never had a bad ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This trip was for the annual conference of the American College of Cardiology. I attended as an Exhibitor. The service from the moment I arrived in the driveway to the moment I drove away three days later was an outstanding experience. I only remember giving my name to the Bellman that took charge of my car for valet parking. From then on every one of the staff I had contact with seemed to know my name and called me Mr... Great Southern respect. While checking in I was informed that the Inn had just receiver electric scooters for folks with disabilities and would I like to have one, complementary? It was such a great service. Had I not been able to have that service I'm not sure how I could have navigated from my room to the meeting ball room, due to the knee trauma I endure daily. With all I relate above, I really felt pampered fro three days. Was the first time in my 80 years that working a conference did NOT wear me out. Every one of the staff I had contact with only wanted to serve me and make sure I had an exceptional experience at he Omni Grove Park. They totally succeeded.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Outstanding experience. Highly recommended. A great place to stay. Accommodations & staff are top notch. Could not have asked for anything better. Will definitely come back and visit Asheville again and Grove Park Inn is our destination of choice!

Augusta, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel is amazing! If you only get one opportunity to stay here, take it! The building is beautiful and filled with history! The spa is also a once in a lifetime experience. The staff is very accommodating and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

Big Canoe, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

WOW! You'll certainly feel the thrill of what it was like in the Golden Era for the wealthy of this world when they arrived at the Grove Park Inn. The original building is rustic magnificence and the staff greets you as though you might be more important than you are! It is a wonderful place to experience and enjoy. If you can afford it, visit the Inn and don't hesitate to request a room in the original structure. It'll take you back in time with simple elegance and comfort. We loved it!

Room Tip: Want a motel like room, go to new section, but if you want something you just don't find much an...
Kokomo, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Beautiful historic hotel but do not stay here to be pampered unless you are willing to pay an extra $90 for SPA services for each guest. Food was average at the buffet (re-used from the night before) and the employees do not make problems right. No one took responsibility for our problems (they just said oh well, that's the way it is) and we will not stay here again. Hotel was average quality and costs way too much. We spent an average of $500 per night and were very disappointed with the experience. I will not stay at another Omni Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
We are very sorry you had an unpleasant experience recently with us. We appreciate your feedback and will work hard to correct the shortcomings you experienced. We hope you will choose to give us another chance in the future.
Montclair, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was my first time in Asheville, and having heard so much about it, I have to admit, my expectations were high. That includes the hotel, which I had read so much about in advance.

Overall, while there were good parts and less positive parts, I have to say I was not overly impressed by this place given the hype in their materials and by the reviews I had read. To be fair, let me share the positives first:

The architecture, including the two ginormous fireplaces in the main lobby, were quite unique. Only about a dozen rocking chairs can fit in front of a fireplace and once the fire's going, they are usually all taken up. But the ceilings were high, and the place has quite a history. The view, as well, cannot be beat, particularly at sunset. Breathtaking.

Our package included their buffet breakfast, which was fantastic -- two rooms full of various breakfast foods, cold and hot, and an omelet station. We had large breakfasts every day, then skipped lunch in favor of a good dinner. Worked out great.

We did not take advantage of the spa -- far too overpriced -- but did use the fitness center. My partner took a tennis lesson, and thought the tennis pro was wonderful -- nice, encouraging -- time and money well-spent. I used the swimming pool -- and while I liked the pool itself, the fitness center itself is almost more of a recreation center. I went in to swim laps, and there was a family with three kids playing in the pool at the same time. This was fine -- although awkward in the locker room afterwards (one was a little boy), when I had to work around them to ensure I was appropriately dressed around children. I will also say that the showers in the locker room left quite a bit to be desired -- hair in drains, water spraying from neighboring showers -- didn't feel as clean as one would have hoped in a luxury resort. Shampoo and conditioner were pretty gross -- shampoo smelled like Lestoil and burned my nose; conditioner didn't work very well.

I have to say that the service from the hotel staff was overall great -- one concierge, named Betsy, was outstanding -- bent over backwards to help arrange transportation for us to an activity we'd booked off site for which we didn't know we needed our own transportation. Had she not been so great, we would have had to cancel without getting our refund.

Now the things we didn't like/things you should know about:

This place is HOPPING. It is far from quiet and relaxing, especially at night. They host conventions, meetings, weddings and other events -- there's always something going on. If that's what you like, then you'll love this place. As a heads up, though, if you're looking to get some rest, book a room that doesn't face west. We had an amazing view of the mountains, yet we could hear absolutely everything that went on outside morning through night -- hotel staff, music, wedding toasts, and more -- even with our windows closed. So if you choose to come here, try to get a room that doesn't overlook the terrace if you want to get restful nights' sleep.

Having written that, we did like that there were a number of restaurants right here on site that we enjoyed. The dueling piano bar was a huge disappointment -- we went down before the music started and there was an AWFUL stand up comedian on. The place smelled disgusting, and the bar menu was limited -- the only after-dinner liqueur they had was Creme de Menthe. I didn't think anyone drank that anymore...

I'll also say that the room was nothing special -- and we sure paid enough for it. Old wood furniture that looked like it came from Bob's Discount, with drawers that didn't always close the right way. The bathroom was also pretty unimpressive.

So as you can read, a real mix. If you book the right room, there is a ton to do here and the staff are more than happy to help you find it. Just be sure you ask in advance what things cost -- valet parking is something like $22/day, but even if you park your car on your own, they charge you $5/day. Go through your bill carefully and ask about any charges not in your package. And if you can -- be sure to make time for white water rafting through NOC; best part of our whole trip!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The Grove Park M, Manager at The Omni Grove Park Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We really appreciate you choosing to stay with us and for providing a detailed account of your experience. Our guests feedback is the best way for us to measure our success and improve our offerings. First, thank you for all of the kind words you gave our staff and property. We are very happy that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet, our recreation facilities and other aspects of your stay.

We are very sorry for falling short of your expectations in some other areas. We are continuously updating our rooms and while we are adamant about staying true to the historic, Arts & Crafts style furnishings, we regret not meeting your standard.

We are very fortunate to have such wonderful new and repeat guests and try to make each experience tailored to them and take measure to ensure they have a one of a kind experience but regret the fact that it took away from your experience.

We sincerely hope you can come back next time you are in the area and witness our ongoing improvements.

Been to The Omni Grove Park Inn? Share your experiences!