“A gem of a budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road
Ranked #19 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scituate, Massachusetts
“A gem of a budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

At the last minute we tried to book a B&B but they were all full so we chose this budget hotel. We were pleasantly surpassed. It is very clean and they have amenities not many budget hotels have. We had been camping for over a week so we found their guest laundry worked well for us. they offer free WiFi, free hot breakfast with several choices, as well as a pool and spa. I was particularly impressed with the cleanliness and the helpfulness of the staff. We will seek out these Carlson Inns in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hello and thank you for such nice feedback about our property. I am glad you had to "settle" for us and got to see how great we really are. I am sure you were more than ready for a little comfort after a week of camping.We do really love offering all the perks like free hot breakfast and free wifi. I am especially pleased that you found the cleanliness of the property above your expectations. And of course we definitely aim to have a friendly and helpful staff, so glad we impressed you!

Come back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
lakeland, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We really appreciated the kindness of the staff and the comfort of our beds after an emergency room visit to Mission Hospital at 3:00 in the morning for 19yr old daughter. We had to leave the mountain area home we were at with medical issues in middle of night so we had been up all night and she was released before 11:00am that same morning. We had used Priceline for the next night's visit to this Country Inn with plans we should've been visiting the Biltmore. Called ahead and explained ER visit and the female answering phone was very kind and said no problem to immediately come over so we could get her to bed rest. Arrived and they kindly upgraded us to 1 2 bed suite with pull out couch instead of the king bed we had first been assigned. We were able to close the blinds and door to blacken the room and fell into much needed sleep and rest the entire day. Later had our own tv in bedroom and dad had his in couch area. Daughter said after leaving the beds there were the most comfortable she had ever felt and she felt very comforted in a bad situation. Needless to say we missed the Biltmore and saw a little bit of Asheville near the Woolworth Walk area as she was able to walk just for a bit. Loved what we did see of Asheville and want to come back for an entire week there next visit. Thanks for making an emergency situation very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Hello dear guest,

I am so thankful that we were able to provide some peace and comfort to you while you were dealing with a scary and stressful time. I certainly hope your daughter has fully recovered or is in progress. We do get reports from guests all the time about how comfy the beds are so I am very pleased your daughter felt the same! Especially after dealing with illness/injury. We do sincerely care about our guests, and I am glad our overnight staff demonstrated this at the time of yiour need. Please do return for a more relaxing and extended stay ! All the best to you and your family!
Durham, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed here thinking it would be a great place based on the good reviews found on here... Boy are they off!

The hotel just feels icky. The smell of mildew fills your nose the second you walk into the "lobby" (for lack of a better word.) The room had a terrible smell to it, too. The bathroom was gross - not very clean and visible mold. The shower head wasn't even completely attached to the wall. After all of this, there was no part of me that wanted to try the free breakfast the next morning - I got the heck out of there!

It was one of those places where after you got home, you washed EVERY SINGLE THING that you brought with you because you felt dirty.

The ONLY two redeeming things - the lady who checked us in at the front desk moved us to a room away from the elevator (after finding out we were put right next to it) without any trouble, and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hello valued guest, Let me start by saying that I am glad for the positive service you received from staff ; and that you slept well on our comfortable beds. Next let me apologize for not meeting your expectations in regards to apparent cleanliness and odors. I realize that the inital appearance of the property may have been offputting during your stay since we were redoing the lobby wallpaper. When we removed the wallpaper it did show some old water damage on the walls, but currently we do not have any mold issues. Also upon entering the lobby, most folks do smell our indoor pool area which is adjacent to lobby. As to the room smelling bad, I am disappointed that you did not let the front desk staff know so that they could change your room or address the problem. It sounds like there was an issue in your bathroom so we probably needed to do some work in there. I am so sorry the experience left you feeling less than fresh, but I do want to emphasize how unusual your response is for a stay at our location.Our housekeepers are superstars to us, and we do a detailed inspection of each room before guests arrival. Perhaps if you had rounded out your trip with a visit to our hearty free breakfast you might have seen us in a better light. Take care.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel is in a good location to downtown, the Vanderbilt estate, antique stores, etc.
Friendly. Staff, clean and spacious rooms with fridge and microwave. We had a reservation and found a discount coupon in a booklet we picked up at a rest stop. They honored it for one of our two nights. Breakfast plentiful and good. We would probably return should we be passing through again.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor (5) on back side facing woods away from elevators
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello dear guest and thank you for your nice review! You said it well, "not the Ritz, but a good value!" We tend to agree. With a convenient location, clean large rooms, and good big breakfast, combined with friendly staff and possible discounts from the coupons, you can't really ask for more at this price point. We hope you will not just "probably return" but "definitely" return!!! Thanks again, Take care.
Lenoir, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Had an internet deal which was ok, dissappointed when I read a review of someone who found a coupon in some travel book for $30 less a nite than I paid for the same visit days.

Some visible filth on walls of shower, but otherwise clean enough but not impeccable.

A lot of reviews stated comfortable beds. I strongly disagree. Found them overly soft as if they had been overly broken in even though they appear to be somewhat new. Could hear and feel the springs, somewhat lumpy. Maybe I'm just one who prefers a more firm and supportive mattress.

Never went to breakfast, but the occasions I walked by it appeared to be very busy. But keep in mind this was usually just at the end of breakfast so it was the last minute rush.

Parking in back is not clearly marked, would've been nice if staff informed of additional parking as my first night I arrived late and parked quite a distance from front door. Elevator is quite a walk from front desk, but if I had known about rear parking could've used back entrance.

Ice machine broke down during visit, after the hike to the front desk staff told me they knew and additional machines on 3 & 4 floors (I wasn't on these floors so didn't know about the others). Since they knew, wouldn't it make sense to put an out of order sign and note the other machines? Inconvenient as I had since learned of the rear lot and was using it to avoid walking to the front.

Thought overall the hotel was somewhat hot. AC in room worked fine, but had to turn up all the way to be comfortable. Wonder how hot it would be in the middle of summer.

First trip to Asheville and thought location was convenient and room was relatively quiet. Was quiet enough that I wondered if rooms next door where even occupied. Found it rude that some guests went to the pool in bare feet and without drying off tracking water everywhere (no fault of the hotel). Someone left pizza takeout boxes in the hall late at night smelling up the hallway. How inconsiderate.

If you are someone who can sleep on anything, I think this hotel is fine for the price but for me I won't be staying again due to the uncomfortable beds.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello and thank you for reviewing our property . I will start by saying that I am glad you thought it was a good hotel for the price and the rooms were quiet. I am sorry that you missed the coupon deal, but those are honored based on availability, and may not have been able to be applied to your stay. Internet bookings do sometimes work out as a better discount, but sometimes they are higher, due to their "finder's fees". I am sorry and disappointed you found the bathroom to be less than spotless. This is quite unusual, we would have sent housekeeping up if you had let us know, or we could have changed your room.I would say this in regards to your uncomfortable bed as well. Always let the front desk know as soon as you find a problem so we can try to remedy it. Perhaps that mattress really was worn and needed replacing. As you said, most folks reviewing us absolutely love the beds.As to some of your other comments, breakfast is usually quite busy, but I wish you would have popped in for a minute to enjoy our many offerings. I am also sorry that we did not assist you better with directions to parking areas that were possibly more convenient. Generally speaking we direct guests to initially enter through the front to utilize the luggage carts. We will look into possibly putting up some more signage in regards to parking.I apologize for the inconvenience of finding the ice machine out of order. I believe we had literally just found out about that a few minutes before you did, thus we had not put a sign on it yet. Finally in reference to the hotel being hot, I truly believe that is due to the erratic temperatures our area has been dealing with lately. We have had drastic dips to cold temps at night and then it heated up in the day, so we may not have switched all the thermostats in the common areas accurately. Once again, we appreciate your comments and we encourage you to try us again in the future. Take care
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Slighty outside town, but it has a great price/quality ratio. We did have a problem with the room (a plumbing issue - no one is perfect!) but they were able to fix everything in a very short time (which makes, in my opinion, for a good valuation in efficiency).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us. I believe you got it perfect by saying you get great quality for a great price at Country inn and Suites, Tunnel Rd, Asheville. It is our goal to provide you quick and friendly service on all fronts. I am glad we addressed your bathroom issue rapidly and effectively. Thanks again for taking time to comment, and please visit us again!
East Greenville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I've seen Country Inns for years, but never stayed until this past weekend. Aside from the generous Breakfast, everything seemed cheap. Cheap linens, cheap fixtures, non-working Lobby computer, questionable location, messy outside due to construction.... It was just the lesser version of what I thought would be charming and homey. Won't try again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hello and thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our generous breakfast, but sorry we did not meet your expectations overall. First in regards to furnishings, linens and fixtures I would like to point out that we have to abide by and be approved through our brand standards on all such things, which literally ties our hands on these matters. As to the lobby computer, it is in need of an update for certain, but may have not been fully plugged in due to getting moved around from our renovations. The front desk would have been happy to assist you if you were experiencing difficulty with that. In regards to your feeling that we are in a "questionable location", I would beg to differ. We are on one of the main business/retail highways. We are next to and across from at least 7 other hotels , 10 to 12 chain restaurants and our extremely popular Asheville mall. That being said, we sit down and back in a sheltered spot from the road, surrounded by trees. I feel the location is very safe and comfortable for our guests and staff alike. We are trying to finish our improvements inside and out as quickly as possible, by getting some fresh landscaping and redoing our exterior. I understand that is less than pleasant to look upon while in progress. Once again thanks for the feedback, and please consider giving us another try when you are in the area.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road

Address: 199 Tunnel Road, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC 28805
#5 Green Hotel in Asheville
#13 Business Hotel in Asheville
#13 Family Hotel in Asheville
#16 Romantic Hotel in Asheville
Hotel Class:3 star — Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Country Inn & Suites Asheville i-240-Tunnel Rd Hotel Asheville
Country Inn And Suites Asheville i-240-Tunnel Rd
Country Inn Asheville
Asheville Country Inn

If you own or manage Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.