“For the money it was Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 Tunnel Road, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC 28805   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #19 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
“For the money it was Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

For a hotel that is priced as high as it is I would expect much more. Basically just your run of the mill Motel 6 type hotel that is old and in need of renovation. Room smelled musty and of smoke even though it was Non-Smoking. For about $50 more you could stay at a very nice B&B and make more memories and experience a much more unique stay. Unfortunately we were with another couple and there was not anything available for 2 couples. If your coming to Asheville and want a memorable stay go ahead and skip this place.

• Stayed October 2011
cx_aatr, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
We appreciate your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I was in Asheville earlier this week with my mom to see the Biltmore house and this hotel was the perfect place to stay for us. The location is kind of between downtown and the Biltmore which was great. The front desk staff are wonderful! Susan checked us in and was so helpful with ideas for dinner and what else to see in the city. The lobby was very clean and always had fresh cookies, apples bananas as well as coffee and hot water for tea. They also had a great tea selection. The pool and hot tub area was very clean and nice. The pool is small but still nice and clean and there wasn't that heavy chlorine smell that a lot of indoor pools have. We stayed in one of the king suites because we needed to separate sleeping areas and it was nice and comfy. The beds are great even the pull out sofa bed was comfortable. It is an older hotel but they keep it very clean although the elevator is a little slow. The breakfast room has a lot of tables and nice. We had a really good breakfast. The waffles are very yummy and they had a selection of fresh fruit toppings you could put on them which is something I have not seen at other hotels. It was a nice touch.

One other thing that made this a really nice stay was the staff, especially Susan. We had an early dinner and I went downstairs to ask her were the closest place was to go and get some munchies for later and she gave me directions to the closest grocery store and then said that I could use the plates and silverware in the breakfast room if I needed to. It is open 24/7. The staff was just so friendly, helpful and really wanting to make sure you were taken care of. You just don't get service like that to much anymore. It just made the trip that much better.

If you are going to Asheville and need a nice, quite and affordable place to stay, this should be your first choice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for the fantastic review!!!So glad you had a wonderful stay with us.Hope to see you in the near future.
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We went to Asheville for Labor Day weekend and stayed here. It was a very nice cozy entry, very friendly check-in staff, and a nice room. It's not fancy, but it's clean, comfortable and very nice for the price. It had a breakfast complete with belgian waffles you make yourself. Enjoyed it!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
cx_aatr, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during Labor Day Weekend.!!Hope to see you soon in the near future!!!
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a mother-daughter trip to the Biltmore Estate. I love Country Inn & Suites, and this hotel did not disappoint. The hotel is clean -- clean lobby, clean room, clean bathroom, clean pool. The indoor pool is salt water, and although small, was perfect for my daughter and me to swim both nights we were there. The pool water was very clean, the pool area was clean, and the pool bathroom was clean.

Our room and the room's bathroom were clean. Beds were comfy, and we were provided with plenty of soft, comfy pillows. Two extra blankets and pillows were in the closet, and an extra blanket was in the dresser drawer. Flat screen TV. Housekeeping was exceptional, not a speck of dust anywhere, and the towel swans delighted my daughter!

The breakfast at this Country Inn & Suites was the best I've ever seen at any Country Inn & Suites at which I've stayed. The first morning the offerings included BOTH bacon and sausage, egg burrito with salsa, hot biscuits and country gravy, make-your-own hot waffles, and the standard bagels, fresh fruit, cereal, etc. The second morning's offerings included country ham, scrambled eggs, chicken and biscuits, hot biscuits and country gravy, and the other standard breakfast foods. Very good! The breakfast attendant did an outstanding job keeping everything hot and plentiful, which was a feat considering the large crowds at breakfast. Plenty of tables to accommodate everyone. The hotel even had a to-go table in the lobby of hot coffee, water, fruit and breakfast granola bars for on-the-run guests.

Just a few small cons:
When I turned on the heater in the room (it was an early Fall chilly evening when we arrived!), the heater smelled, so I turned it off. No biggie because we just used the A/C on low or not at all the rest of the trip and it was fine.

Also, the front desk clerk accidentally tagged us as a No Show on our first night even though we showed up at 8:00 pm and he checked us in with a key. Thank goodness no one was checked into our room while we were sleeping that night! The problem was resolved the next morning, and in fact was brought to my attention by the morning clerk (I wouldn't have known otherwise!). But this was an honest mistake, could happen to anyone, so I only mention it to encourage others to ensure that they are actually checked in on the computer system if they arrive late! :) Staff was very apologetic and friendly to me.

This Country Inn & Suites also does not have a grand staircase. I requested a room on the 2nd floor, which we received, but I was disappointed that we couldn't walk up a grand staircase to the second floor like other Country Inn & Suites. The single elevator was a tad slow, as other reviewers have mentioned, but since we were only on the 2nd floor, we just used the back stairs by the elevator, good for the ol' heart anyway! In any case, the hotel lobby was beautiful, and the fresh cookies and fruit were appetizing.

In conclusion, other reviews said this hotel was old and seemed old, but I think this hotel looked almost new and was wonderful! My family and I will DEFINITELY stay here again the next time we visit Asheville!!!

Room Tip: Request a room on the first or second floors, since the single elevator tends to be slow. On the se...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
cx_aatr, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
I am sorry that you have concerns about your experience at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, I-240 Tunnel Rd. hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear when a guest is not satisfied with his or her experience, we do need to be aware of these situations.

Our goal is to make the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, the hotel of choice for our guests while away from home. I will be sharing your comments with hotel staff during our upcoming meetings as a learning tool to help us improve our performance and provide exceptional service to our guests. We want to be able to provide our guests with the best service possible, and feedback from our guests helps us to achieve that goal.

I want to thank you for taking the time to contact us because your input is valuable to us. We hope we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Please contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns.828-254-4311
Siler City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Had to cut my trip short because my lttle girl got sick but I can recommend this hotel. Good price for the location, wonderful breakfast, friendly and helpful staff (A biggie for me) clean and quiet. Had all I needed! If I had to give a recommendation to the owners/management it would be to actually heat the pool if you are going to advertise "heated". It was too cool to enjoy, which was really disappointing and continue to praise your staff for being friendly and warm. Too many hotels these days have staff with poor attitudes or are just unfriendly. This is a big turn off and is the first thing I think of when considering to return at a later day.

Good Job Country Inn & Suites Asheville!

South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed here while visiting the Biltmore Estate. Chose this CI&S over the other two becasue i was able to get the cheapest price using my AAA discount. Nice hotel but not new. Bathroom tub had some chips and noticed the bathroom door hinges were rusty however the bathroom itself was clean and served the purpose..had a powerful exhaust fan which is a plus and modern lighting. Room had a quiet AC unit and flat screened TV. Only real complaint was that the bedspread was much to heavy for summer and when you pulled that out of your way, all you had was a sheet. We ended up removing it and using the blanket made for the sleeper sofa. Breakfast was very good and menu was different each day. Service was friendly. Would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We chose this hotel as we like to be near downtown Asheville for dinner and walking around. We also chose this hotel for easier access to the BlueRidge Parkway as we were planning to hike at Mt. Mitchell State Park. The location did not disappoint for either. It took about 5 minutes to get to downtown with easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway and for getting to the Biltmore too.

Rooms were clean, generous in size and overall fairly quiet. Breakfast room was busy on the weekend, but could always find a place to sit. There were plenty of breakfast offereings and they were replenished regularly. It was also nice to have cookies in the lobby for a quick snack after returning from a hike.

We would definitely stay here again for the right price.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
cx_aatr, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thanks for the great review, hope to see you back in the near future.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road

Address: 199 Tunnel Road, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC 28805
#5 Green Hotel in Asheville
#13 Family Hotel in Asheville
#13 Business Hotel in Asheville
#17 Romantic Hotel in Asheville
Hotel Class:3 star — Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Country Inn & Suites Asheville i-240-Tunnel Rd Hotel Asheville
Country Inn And Suites Asheville i-240-Tunnel Rd
Country Inn Asheville
Asheville Country Inn

If you own or manage Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.