“jewel of Asheville” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beaufort House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Beaufort House Inn
You added Beaufort House Inn to your Saves list
61 North Liberty Street, Asheville, NC 28801   |
Ranked #12 of 41 Asheville B&B and Inns
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
“jewel of Asheville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here while I was home on leave. Beautiful and fantastic historic home. We stayed in the home, on the top floor suite. Guests were great, food and hosts were great. It's also close enough to walk downtown if you are so inclinced

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

So if you close your eyes and picture what you think a bed and breakfast should look like, the Beaufort House should be what you picture in your mind. It is a big home built around the beginning of the 1900s or so. I can only comment on our room since I didn't see the others, but it was great...good size (we had a king bed) with a flat screen TV, great bathroom with plenty of shower pressure, and SUPER quiet!!! Another thing we noticed was that the floors didn't sqeek at all like many older homes with hardwood floors. We were there over Labor Day Weekend and they were fully booked, but we never heard from any of the other guest coming and going, closing doors, etc.

The location is also very nice. They told us that it was about a 15 minute walk down to the "cool area" of downtown Asheville, but my wife and I walked it at a brisk walk and we made it in 9 minutes. So I would say that it is a 15 minute "easy" walk or a ten minute brisk walk. It's close enough that it is accessible without having to drive yet far enough away you don't get any of the noise from the downtown area.

The owners, Jim & Christina Muth, are super nice and they also have someone at the desk during the main hours if there is anything. While they don't maintain the desk 24 hours (I'm not sure many B&Bs do) but Erica, a staff member, lives on the property, so if something comes up (i.e. you lock yourself out or there is something wrong with your room) she can be reached. Also, Jim and Christina provide their phone number if you need them.

The one thing that may be good to know is about their breakfast. Unlike some B&Bs that serve breakfast during a window of something like 7:00-10:00, the Beaufort has a single seating at 9:00. The upside to this is that you get to meet all the other guest and chat during breakfast, but the downside is that you do not have an option of when you might have breakfast. It really wasn't an issue for us other than that we had a 7+ hour drive home and we probably would have like to eat a little earlier to hit the road. I understand the logic of Jim and Christina to only have to serve breakfast at one time and not have to spend have the day waiting for people to eat, but it is something to consider if that does not work for your schedule.

The breakfasts were great. Jim and Christina personally make everything fresh and many of the ingredients are out of their garden. The quality was outstanding!!! Just one thing from a personal preference. First, I like some sort of meat for breakfast...ham, bacon sausage...you get the idea. The three breakfasts we had were: a) yogart parfeit and waffles, b) vegetable frittata with potatoes, and c) yogart parfeit with banana French toast made with a crossaint. They did have a couple of small pieces of crispy backon with the French toast, but just a bite or two. So, again, this is just my personal preference, but I would have liked to have an option of "would you like some sausage with your waffle" or "would you like the ham and vegetable frittata or the vegetarian?"

Again, the breakfasts were great, but I like to always try to think of something to say other than just rave how great they were. So that's the best I can do to try and find something to comment on than the glowing praise that they deserve. When we return to Asheville, we will definitely stay at the Beaufort House Inn.

Oh, and Ashville is a fun place...especially if you like micro-beers and the Biltmore is amazing!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I visited Asheville for the first time this year and decided to choose the Beaufort House Inn as the place to stay, while enjoying everything the city has to offer. Asheville itself is very beautiful and the Beaufort House Inn was nothing short of spectacular. It is located about 5 minutes away from the city which made things very easy for traveling to different places or even walking. When first driving up to the house you can tell how nice and well kept everything is on the outside. When you first walk in you begin to realize how special this historic house really is. The staff is absolutely wonderful and the Inn Keepers Kim and Christina are just two of the nicest people you will ever meet. They really do go above and beyond to make sure your stay is a pleasant and wonderful one. The rooms themselves are in fantastic shape and extremely clean and well kept. When waking up in the morning for breakfast the smell of the kitchen hits you as you walk downstairs. The staff and Inn Keepers greet you with some coffee or tea followed by a wonderful breakfast that not only tasted great but was presented well. I cannot say enough about how well prepared the breakfast was during my staff for a few days. The food was absolutely incredible and fresh with healthy ingredients. The breakfast really was the highlight of the stay for me. Besides the food one of the more enjoyable experiences is to just relax on the porch in one of their many rocking chairs or swings. Overall I would choose the Beaufort House Inn each time I visit Asheville. The house and rooms are beautiful and the staff was extremely nice and welcoming. The innkeepers Jim and Christina really take the time to make you feel at home while staying at the house. It was a great experience I will soon not forget.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We like to stay in B&B's whenever possible and this one is at the top of the list. Stayed in the Dogwood Cottage and was thrilled. Rocked on the patio out front with wine in the evening and coffee in the morning and the coffee is delicious. Great breakfast and extremely helpful in dinner suggestions and reservations and a short walk to downtown. Why stay anywhere else.

Sarasota, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Chris, Jim, Erica and Stephanie made us feel like pampered family. Large and varied staff for busiest hours. Attention to detail is extraordinary and everything is top of the line from the Black Mountain Sumatra, to the manicured gardens, to the incredible bed linens. Did I mention the non-stop, huge gourmet breakfasts?! The house has a great history and a great location. Drive to town in 3 minutes. We stayed in a small cottage. The room was beautifully and inventively appointed. The sunken Jacuzzi tub area can be separated by pulling high-end curtains to retain warmth. Never a speck of dust anywhere in the cottage or the huge Victorian main house. Concierge service was always available, well-prepared and ready to go online to find any needed details or destinations. The first morning I asked for honey and lemon for my tea, and everyday after it magically appeared on our table before we arrived. Everything at Beaufort house works like that. When my daughter and I left, she said she felt a little like she had left home !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Hosts were delightful as was their staff member Ericka. The hostess and host, Cristina and Jim made people feel welcomed. Breakfast was very good. Coffee, available at 7 along with the Times and the WSJ, was a treat. Comfortable sleeping room. Bathroom worked well. Easy walk to downtown Ashville. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room in the house. We were on the third floor. Extra quiet if you do not m...