“You meet the nicest people at the Wright Inn.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House

Save Saved
You added The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House to your Saves list
The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   235 Pearson Drive, Asheville, NC 28801 (Historic Montford)   |
Ranked #14 of 43 Asheville B&B and Inns
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“You meet the nicest people at the Wright Inn.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Wright Inn. The Inn is beautifully nestled in a quiet and tranquel setting that allows you to get away from the hectic life and be pampered. The owners (Bob and Barb) gave some history of the Inn. And the breakfast was the perfect way to start the day.....I wish I asked for some more of the sausage....haha.....and we definitely enjoyed talking to the other tenants at breakfast and while rocking on the front porch. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

376 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I did much research about the bed and breakfasts of Asheville, and based on photos and reviews, and our need for a room that would sleep three people, I chose the 1899 Wright Inn; I am sorry I did.

The 1899 Wright Inn is a nice enough B&B, but we paid top dollar, equivalent to other highly rated B&Bs in the neighborhood. Once we arrived, and had a chance to walk around, we saw other B&Bs with much more expansive and elegant grounds.

The hostess who greeted us seemed put out, and was not gracious or welcoming. We got the basic facts, and that was that.

We stayed in the Wright room, which featured a fireplace, but it was not set up for a fire, and there was no encouragement to use it. The room was chilly when we arrived, and we asked for more heat, we were given a space heater. The space heater traveled with us into the room's frigid private breakfast area the next morning; where we huddled in our nightclothes.

The Wright room is on the main floor, on the way to the dining room, and at 7 a.m. we were awoken by breakfast preparations, and other guests' comings and goings. This is a poor choice of room for light sleepers.

The bottom of the bathtub has peeling-off anti-slip decals, and the glasses in the cramped bathroom are the disposable plastic kind. Most of the flat surfaces in the room are covered with knick-knacks, which is quaint to look at, but a pain when traveling and wanting to unpack a bit.

The common areas on the first floor are open to the entry way, so there's very little sense of coziness or privacy. The largely uncomfortable furniture is arranged around the perimeter of the two public rooms, further squelching the desire to linger and talk.

The breakfast was delicious, and unusual.

My whole time there I had to force myself not to think about the cost of the room; we paid a luxury price and got average service, and no frills.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
gizmo999, Owner at The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
I was very concerned by the review this guest wrote until I read the other 40 reviews that she posted on Trip Advisor. This traveler gave almost ALL of the lodging facilities poor scores so all I can do is reassure other potential guests to look at the validity of these issues.

As to the comments about the much more expansive grounds--- We have 1.4 acres of gardens professionally designed by the UNCA Horticulture dept and the winner of numerous Garden Club awards.

The gas fireplace was turned off for the season. It was 87, 91 and 92 degrees on the days this guest was here, and yes we had the fireplace turned off but did offer her a space heater to warm the room.

The glasses in the bathroom are the individually wrapped plastic glasses that are required by the health department. I guess the lead crystal glasses in the room were not noticed. I can not address the knick-knacks covering all of the flat surfaces in the room. This is simply not accurate. This room has hardly anything on the shelves, mantle, or any of the other flat surface. This can be easily verified by the photos on the website.

Since the economy took a down turn, we pride ourselves for keeping our prices low to help folks travel in this tough economy. Our prices are on the lower side of average when compared to the other hotels and inns in Asheville and we offer many specials to our guests.

A potential guest need only go to our website and look at the photos of the beautiful landscaping around the inn and grounds and look at the suite photos to appreciate the aesthetics of the room.
Lenoir, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Relax and enjoy. The Inn was a great facility and the owners and management were fantastic. We were appreciated and spoiled. Not only did they look after our needs, their information and suggestions on our activities made for a much needed getaway becoming a memorable, need to do again adventure.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
La Vergne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This house is just beautiful. Bob and Shirley had great directions for traveling and I did not get lost once like I normally do. The Bosse Bryan room was very quaint and the bed comfortable. The breakfasts were exceptional as well. Meeting the other guests and conversation over breakfast was fun. as well. This was the first time I ever stayed in a bed and breakfast and it was so much nicer than staying in a hotel. I hope I get to visit Asheville and stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Blountville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

It was a sweet couple of days we spent there. My friend and I wanted to just take time out from work and we really enjoyed the extreme rest. We felt we were at home and the location made you feel like you stepped back in time. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast that was top-notch and the Inn Keeper was such a sweet person that we felt we got to know on a deeper level. I miss her! We talked of our visit there many times and vow to return again. Every need was met and I certainly recommend this to anyone for a pleasurable experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

The Wright Inn and Carriage House far exceeds expectation. Our hosts, Barbara and Bob Gilmore, were friendly, upbeat and definitely know their business. The Inn is beautifully restored to its original grandeur and then some. The room was comfortable and quiet. The breakfasts were gourmet. One note: you will never find an Inn keeper who is as good at giving directions as Bob Gilmore!! A big Bravo and thank you for a wonderful stay in Asheville. I highly recommend the Wright Inn for your next trip to Asheville. Rick MIners and Jeri Sedlar

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed in the Wilkinson Room of this very quant Bed and Breakfast and it was absoutley wonderful, the rooms were cozy and romantic. The breakfast served to us each morning was equisite and the conversations with other guest were great, good to meet new folks. It is located very conviently todowntown and all surroundings. The Owners and Caretake were great. Would definetley recommend this to all couples as a get-a-way...Would not recommend children unless you stay in the Carriage House on their property.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House? Share your experiences!