“the best little B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 41 Asheville B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“the best little B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

We triple loved the place. Centrally located, beautifully attended to and comfortably stayed in. Our host cooked a beautiful candlelit breakfast every morning and also tended to vegetarian needs. We highly recommend.

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Asheville, NC-Cumberland Falls Bed & Breakfast is THE PLACE!! My husband and I stayed there this weekend and we would never think of staying anywhere else if we were in Asheville. Not only did we receive wonderful service and assistance with Patti & Gary, the innkeepers, to us when registering; but Vinnie-the chef made exquisite 3 course gourmet breakfasts' that left you full when you were done but not too much over the top that you couldn't get out and walk into downtown--oh yeah, I forgot to mention--the house is just a few minutes away from downtown. Then, there was Heather, who assisted us in finding every local hotspot that appealed to our wants and needs not just the local tourists stops and general "to do's"; along with directions, reservations, etc. Lastly, this was all encompassed in the most beautiful location in Asheville, NC with gardens and waterfalls in the backyard for those who want to just linger around the property! I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did--Jason & Laura

• Liked — The staff-cordial and accommodating themselves in a beautiful location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MT Airy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

This place was great! The breakfasts were excellent, our room was cozy. This bed and breakfast was a great homebase to do lots of exploring in the Asheville area. The hosts were friendly and hospitable. Gary made awesome dinner reservations for us while we were on the run one day. I highly recommend this B&B.

manchester ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

We knew as we drove up that the inn would be wonderful, with the attention to details surrounding the property and the wonderful landscaping. The inn's concierge was so willing to talk with us and let us know all the fun details of Asheville. She was wonderful. It was my birthday and they had wonderful desserts waiting for us when we arrived. The fresh flower arrangements were also beautiful and the room we stayed in was amazing, antiques and a fireplace with a jacuzzi, magnificent! The wonderful breakfast in the morning was served with humor and warmth and was perfect. We enjoyed talking with all of the other guests and would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to any travellers. The inn keepers were great and hearing their story on how they got started adds to the personal touches that surround the whole experience. Thank you!

calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at the Cumberland Falls Bed & Breakfast. This home is situated in a lovely, historic neighborhood convenient to downtown.
We were very lucky to get the "Procrastinator's Special" having only booked the room the evening prior.
The house is a beautiful and immaculate with lovely landscaping and a gorgeous garden in the backyard with a waterfall and Koi fish. Plenty of parking is available at the back of the house.
We were warmly welcomed by Heather, the concierge, who toured us through the home and offered us any help we required with restaurant suggestions, reservations, etc. We were also offered fresh, delicious chocolate pecan cookies and refreshments.
Complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate are always available for guests. There is also a very convenient honor fridge stocked with soft drinks and beer available for a nominal charge. Bowls of chocolates are located throughout the home which we enjoyed too much.
We stayed in the Garden Vista Room. It is a large room with a gas fireplace and huge windows overlooking the garden on the second floor. The bathroom has a two person jacuzzi tub and robes were provided. The queen size bed was very comfortable and we woke to the sound of birds singing and the waterfall. This is a very relaxing room decorated in greens and yellows with lovely hardwood floors. A book of restaurant menus and other valuable information is located in each room. There is also a writing desk with a phone.
Breakfast in the dining room was fantastic. Gary and Patti served a gourmet breakfast. The pumpkin muffins were the best muffins we've ever had and the pancakes and sausages were excellent. Coffee and juice were constantly refilled.
Unfortunately, we were only able to enjoy this great bed & breakfast for one night as we had to move on. Would have loved to have had an extended stay here. Would highly recommend this wonderful place and would certainly suggest choosing the Garden Vista room if it's available. Thanks to Gary and Patti for providing us "procrastinators" with a memorable bed & breakfast experience.
Derek & Dixie

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

This was our first time at a B&B for my wife and I. We were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary. We really didn't know what to expect, but, from reading the prior reviews on here, we decided on this place. Unfortunately, some of what swayed me toward Cumberland falls didn't occur for our particular trip.

Here's my story:
I wanted a nice quiet weekend for my wife and I. I researched tripadvisor and saw that this place had rave reveiws. What I particularly liked was the fact that most reviews talked about how the owners were very accomodating. I've travelled a good bit and I find that when the owner takes the time with the guest, the experience is that much better. Anyway, I booked our weekend using the online reservation system. I was contacted by the owners within 25hours asking about our reason for staying. I indicated that this was our belated wedding anniversary and that we were very much looking forward to the nice mountain air. I got a reply saying that they were looking forward to meeting my wife and I and that our stay would be fantastic. this was definitely getting off on the right foot for me!

Fast forward to check in. Upon checking in, we met Heather. Heather is the concierge. She is very very nice and very helpful if you are looking for stuff today. The "owners" were never mentioned. Heather showed us to our room (more on this in a second) and told us that breakfast would be served at 8:30. We went up to our room and chilled out. That was pretty much it for any interaction with anybody related to the house for that day.

The next morning, we walked downstairs to find a single large table fully occupied with people (roughly 8). There were spots for us to sit down. This was a little awkward (I'm introverted, what can I say). There was a smaller 4 person table located in a small room nearer the front of the house but it was fully occupied. We sat down and Heather served breakfast that was cooked by someone else (not seen and not introduced) hiding in the kitchen. Breakfast was very very nice. It consisted of three courses: a muffin, a german egg omelette, dill potatoes, an apple with oatmeal in it. The next day was: canteloupe soaked in red wine, a large waffle, bacon, poppy muffin. The presentation was exquisite. Multiple plates were used and nice crystal ware held the orange juice. We were very pleased with the food. Just the table was a bit awkward for the "quiet types".... again, no sign of the owners...

now, for the room. We had the "sunshine room"... this is an attic space that has been converted to a bedroom. Upon entering the room, we noticed the queen sized bed, and the large two-person garden tub complete with powered jets. The room had sloped walls which proved annoying for me (I'm tall, 6'-3") I hit my head more than a few times. The toilet was also located inside this room with nothing more than a half-height wall partitioning it from view from the bed. This afforded ZERO privacy. My wife and I would leave the room during times of usage. We found that the water was not hot either night of our stay. Some people may find the temperature pleasing, but we like our baths to be steamey. We would turn on only the hot water and it was not hot to the touch. Perhaps this is for safety? maybe for energy savings? no idea really. But, we were cold each time we exited the tub. The next point of contention came from the climate controls. The house appeared to have only one central HVAC system (maybe there was two, only saw controls for one though). The thermostat was protected in a plastic lock box and set to 72F. We found that throughout the evening, our room was a good bit warmer than the areas downstairs. this lead to the feeling of stale air late at night hindering a good night's sleep. Its a small complaint, but one worth noting. all in all, i wouldn't request this room a second time.

As for the owners, we chose Cumberland Falls based on the reviews on this site referencing the owners being great. We were quite dissappointed not to see them. I will say that Heather was fantastic. She provided us with strawberries that had been dipped in chocolate and with a card on our second night. This went well with my wife as she loves strawberries.

I give this place a rating of 3 circles not because it was bad, but because it was my first. I do not know if it was great or if it was really bad as I have no comparison to go by. I did find myself wanting a little more out of a B&B, but this may be due to my lack of experience with these types of places.

last thing. If you go this year (2007) do not count on seeing the Festival of Flowers at the Biltmore house. We went there only to find a sign that said "Due to a record frost in early April, all of the flowers have been damaged".... the grounds were pretty much all brown. The greenhouse was still nice though. Just a word of warning.

Stayed May 2007
fallsinn, Owner, Proprietor at At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2007
In my response to "First time B&B Stay "
I would like to sincerely apologize for their disappointment in their first foray into a Bed and Breakfast stay. An anniversary trip is a special time in a couple's married life and it should be a positive one.

I noted in the first paragraph of the review our guest indicated his desire for a "nice quiet weekend" with his wife. We are acutely aware that an anniversary typically is an intimate time where a couple celebrates their commitment to each other. We always afford them privacy.

This guest mentions that after check in and orientation to our home that there was little other interaction with staff that day.
When a guest has come to our inn for a special intimate anniversary celebration, we do all in our power to provide just that. At no time would we go to the guests room and disturb their time together especially in view of this occasion.

It would seem that the guest was well served by our staff as Heather is mentioned throughout the review. Our guest were provided with ideas of how to spend their time in Asheville and Gary and I asked Heather to provide a platter of complimentary chocolate strawberries in an effort to help the couple make their anniversary a special time.
Further, an anniversary card to commemorate their celebration was placed in their room as well.

Gary and I are nearly always on the property at some time during the day. Most days, we are on the property in excess of 12 hours a day. In the nearly 8 years we have owned this property there have been few days that we were not physically present.
We regret that we did not encounter this couple but quite honestly, everyone (including Innkeepers) need some down time.) While, as our previous guest comments reflect, we meet and get to know most of our guests, we are only human and need some time off too.
Otherwise, our humor would be gone and our guests would not want to see us coming!!

The hours innkeepers are working either in preparation for a guest arrival, provisioning for their stay or hosting them is far and above a normal work week. Fortunately, it is labor of love.

Regarding our Sunshine Room, despite the fact that it was obviously not a good choice for this guest --It is a well loved room in our house. It is angular in nature and this is illustrated in the online photos located on our site. It is not a square box and this is a greatly appreciated fact of most of its occupants. It is a light ,sunny and fun space with angles and a jacuzzi as well as being the least expensive room in our home.

A bed and breakfast experience is social by nature. It is a place where one meets new friends and comes to realize that people have more in common than that which separates them and conversation is both stimulating as well as enriching.
Breakfast is a "together" thing and for introverts can be a bit daunting.
I commend our guests for stepping out of their comfort zone and am delighted that they thought our breakfast "exquisite." That is always so appreciated.

Our Chef, who was not hiding that day--- but working very hard to see that all food presented was up to our standards would so appreciate that it was enjoyed.

Lastly, I am sorry for the freeze that caused this guest a less than stellar view of the glory of the flowers at Festival of Flowers. Fortunately, summer brings a new set of flowers both in my garden and that of Biltmore Estate.

We are always regretful that a guest was not pleased with their stay but continue to strive for excellence and guest satifaction here At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast. Fortunately, the vast majority of our reviews indicate success.

Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

Cumberland Falls was a great bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Sun Shine room on the 3rd floor. Heather, their concierge was extremely friendly (but not overwhelming) and gave us excellent recommendations on restaurants and downtown Asheville. She was able to provide us with a number of options and they all seemed on point. The house was very clean, comfortable, and charming. Breakfast both mornings was fantastic (3 courses - muffins, fruit, and an entree) and the innkeepers were so gracious. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed April 2007

Been to At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!