“Our first stay at a B&B and it was WONDERFUL!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chestnut Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chestnut Street Inn
You added Chestnut Street Inn to your Saves list
176 East Chestnut Street, Asheville, NC 28801   |
Ranked #18 of 41 Asheville B&B and Inns
Ringgold, Georgia
“Our first stay at a B&B and it was WONDERFUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

This was my first stay at a B&B and Chestnut Street Inn did not disappoint! It was absolutely amazing! My husband and I stayed in the Zen Retreat and the pictures on the B&B website did not do it justice (I posted one that I took during our stay below) - it was amazingly beautiful and breathtaking. Our room was the only suite on the third floor with 3 window seats, a huge beautiful and comfy bed, and a futon - all in an asian inspired atmosphere. The bathroom was to die for - a giant steam shower that could fit 4 people! The other rooms in the Inn were beautiful too - gorgeous antiques and linens throughout! Not only were the rooms wonderful the food was so delicious. Innkeeper Joe made an amazing three course breakfast each morning (you'd better hope you get the peach bread and frenchtoast = awesome!) and delicious cookies each night. Innkeeper LaDonna was so helpful - she gave us great recommendations for things to do, places to eat, etc. Joe and LaDonna made us feel like we were at home! Plus, the inn was a short 5 minute walk to downtown which was very convenient. I would stay here again in an instant and highly recommend the Chestnut Street Inn!

• Liked — the beautiful rooms and great hospitality from the innkeepers
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

My wife and I (from England) visited in late April 2008 whilst touring the beautiful Blue Ridge and Smokey mountains. Asheville was a lovely town to visit, but it was LaDonna and Joe's B&B that really made the stay special. They are fairly new to the business, but this only enhances the experience as they go to great lengths to get everything just right - I'd say they succeed on all fronts and are consumate hosts, being both welcoming and sociable without being intrusive. The house has a wonderfully peaceful ambience and combines the best of old world charm, comfort and modern convenience. The rooms are lovely, but everyone seems to note the excellent breakfast which is no surprise as it was rather special. I'd return without hesitation and wouldn't even look elsewhere if staying in the area.

• Liked — The comfort and warm welcome - oh, and the breakfast!
  • Disliked — Absolutely no dislikes
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

I was eager to write a review after staying in this wonderful Asheville B&B and enjoying the exceptional hospitality of our hosts, LaDonna and Chef Joe! BUT -- "RedCritic" has already covered almost every single good thing that we had to say about the Chestnut Inn, so I'll just say "DITTO to that Red Critic!"

We almost stayed at a different B&B but they didn't have 2 rooms available, so they referred us to the Chestnut Inn and I am SO GLAD that they did! I just can't say enough about how kind and helpful Joe and LaDonna were. Not only were they great hosts, but they have led very interesting lives, with travels all over the world, so it was really fun to meet them. We were the 1st guests to arrive for the weekend, so LaDonna was kind enough to give us the tour of the house and allowed us to take a look at all the rooms. The house has a broad range of room types and price levels, so guests with different travel needs/budgets can enjoy this beautiful home. We loved the place so much that we were the last ones to leave on Sunday and LaDonna spent quite a bit of time visiting with us before we left. She shared more of the history of the house, as well as showing us the kitchen and describing some of their plans for a future kitchen renovation. I have to say that I cannot believe the incredibly creative and delicious breakfasts that Chef Joe turns out of their tiny kitchen!

Two more things...1) Don't forget to buy your Biltmore tickets at the Inn. It's MUCH more convenient and sometimes they have special promo discounts. 2) DEFINITELY follow LaDonna's dining recommendations. She and Joe eat out quite often and they know the best places to go. Tell her what you like and she'll be sure to steer you in the right direction.

Sailor Girl and I can't wait to return to the Chestnut Inn!!!

Stayed February 2008
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

This was both my first time in Asheville and my first time at a bed and breakfast and I thoroughly enjoyed both. The inn is conveniently located in the city's Chestnut Hill National Historic District and is super close to downtown. The house is beautiful from the street and is quite a pleasant sight.

When we arrived at the inn, we were greeted by owners Joe and Ladonna; we were given a brief history of the house and a tour of the inn's common areas. There is a refrigerator in the dining area that is stocked with plenty of refreshments and a coffee bar where guests can make a variety of coffees teas and other hot drinks. The inn has a beautiful front porch complete with rocking chairs and coffee tables to enjoy the view of downtown Asheville. Blankets are stacked in the entryway to the porch if its cold and you want to bundle up. There is also a large movie collection available to all people staying at the inn. Ladonna showed us some of the local attractions, sites and restaurant selections on a map and gave us directions in the event we wanted to go downtown (which is a MUST).

We were then escorted up to our room (the Blue Ridge room) which is very delightfully decorated. The room was very large with a fireplace, a sitting area with a bay window that lets good natural sunlight into the room, king bed and its own bathroom. The bed was a four post cherry bed with comfortable linens (once I got in it, it was hard to get me out).

At night, the inn offers a wine and cheese hour in the living/sitting room, where guests come to congregate and socialize. Joe made some awesome wine selections that were well paired with a large assortment of cheese and fruit. The group of guests that was staying there were all really nice and fun to talk with. After the wine hour, we went to downtown Asheville which is really just a short walk from the inn. With it being cold (and rainy) we decided to drive and had a wonderful selection of shops and restaurants to choose from.

In the morning, Joe cooked up quite a feast for breakfast. The first course was fresh baked apple cinnamon bread which was a great aroma to wake up to. The second course was a baked grapefruit. I know that sounds weird but it was really appetizing! The final course was a 3 cheese pastry that and an English muffin with ham. The third course did it for me; I was stuffed! Overall the breakfast was 5 stars and my compliments go to Chef Joe.

This inn has certainly ‘set the bar’ for B&B’s in Asheville and I look forward to staying there next time I’m in town.

• Liked — You name it!
  • Disliked — Nothing, 5 stars!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

My husband and I were given the gift of 2 nights at this B&B. The location was very convenient to downtown Asheville and the new owners were very helpful with information and (we heard from others) reservations. Our room was comfortable and nicely appointed. The 3-course breakfasts were fantastic, including wonderful baked goods and items like poached pears. The breakfast room had one long table and then a few smaller tables. Coffee was available earlier, and there was a wi-fi connection--a nice touch. The inn itself is lovely and welcoming. Sometimes I visit a B&B and worry about how it is doing or wonder how anyone thought this building could be an inn. Not this place. The owners were relaxed, the inn was perfect (and decorated nicely for Christmas) and it was all and all a most enjoyable stay.

• Liked — The location and the breakfasts
  • Disliked — the small shower in our room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Chestnut Street Inn? Share your experiences!