“Nice Central Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
McDonough
“Nice Central Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

From the outside the hotel looks older, but inside is nice and therooms are comfortable. The hotel is cntrally located so that walking anywhere downtown is easy. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant is a little overpirced, but it was good and the service was great. After a mix up with the bill all was settled and overall a nice stay. Will return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business and look forward to you visiting us again soon. Shannon Mason Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for an event in downtown Asheville. The hotel is in a convenient location right off of the I-240 spur and in very easy walking distance to anywhere downtown. The room on the 2nd floor was very comfortable and clean, and it was one of the quietest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in - I could barely hear the heat/cooling system when it was on. There is a Chop House restaurant attached to the hotel - I did not eat there, but I sat with my daughter at the very nice bar and enjoyed a well-made Gin and Tonic. The check-in was quick and efficient, and parking was very handy as well. I will definitely put this hotel at the top of my list when I'm looking to stay in Asheville again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a downtown view...should be much quieter...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I'd read many of the reviews here which said that if you are a Starwood member, you should ask for the 5th floor (which, as it turns out is set aside for SPG members as per a sign just off the lift), and get a room on the town side, not the highway side. If you can manage those two things, your stay should be fine.
It's not the newest hotel, and the room windows are desperately in need of being washed, but it's clean and tidy. It's also generally going to be cheaper than the Renaissance (right across the street) or the Indigo and if you just want to sleep, it's fine. There's free wi-fi (at least on the 5th floor), free bottled water and descent toiletries. Front desk staff is nice, and they try hard to make sure you're happy.
We were checking in on New Year's Day, so no rooms were clean when we arrived. Understandable, certainly, and we were offered the first king room that came up on the town side. It was on the 3rd floor, and unfortunately smelled of smoke, probably from a drunken NYE party the night before. They apologised and immediately sent a cleaner up to the hallowed 5th floor to clean a king room. 30 minutes later, and we're in, settled and the room is great. Better bed linens, better carpet, the window opens.
One tip: If you do eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant, get your coffee from next to the front desk before you go in. The restaurant charges $2 for coffee, but it's free from the lobby. Go figure. Even the waitress thinks it's silly.
This isn't 5* luxury, but if you're visiting Asheville's downtown, it's a good stop. I'd stay again. Oh, and the pet thing worried me, too, and I normally avoid 'pet-friendly' but we shared our floor with a giant German Shepherd and her owners and didn't hear a peep from either!

Room Tip: Ask for a town side room if you want quiet, because there's no noise. 5th floor seemed better, l...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Our property is 42 years old but we were renovated 5 years ago and are due this year for another renovation per Starwood standard. My Front Desk staff try their best to make sure everyone has an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Sugar Hill, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights while visiting the Biltmore. The location is great, good walking distance to downtown (two blocks) and a short drive to tunnel rd (lots of reasturants). After reading the prior reviews I was weary of this hotel but did not smell any odors in the hotel, however the hallways are very dark.
The doors do "slam" but after a while I think we got used to hearing it.
The lack of ice/vending machines was a little annoying. They are only located on every other floor and after I finally found ice, the room card is required to get any ice to dispense, (which I did not have on me)
The rooms are a decent size, however the bathrooms lacked size- I would suggest moving the towel bar away from directly infront of the toilet.

For the price I would say this hotel was worth it, but I would not pay over $100.00 a night.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, January 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We have a vending area located on the lobby floor only and the ice machines are located on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th floors. The reason for the key insert is to deter people from filling large coolers. We want to make sure everyone has ice at their convenience. We are changing all of the lighting in the hallways and are actually renovating this year. We renovate every 5 years per Starwood standard. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We appreciate your business and would love to have you give us a second chance for an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay.
McDonough, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

This hotel seemed to be old and needs some upgrades. The outside door on the ground floor does not work and we were not told that when we checked in. The hotel knew about it b/c when I told them they told me we could go out the door but could not use our key to get in. This coul dbe a serious safety issue. You can go out of the door but you can not come in the door usless you prop the door open. The room was ok but nothing to write home about. We had a room facing I-240 and could hear traffic but it was not bad to where you could not sleep. The best thing about the hotel is that you can walk to all of the restaurants downtown. The service in the hotel restaurant was ok. If you like to drink and go to the bar and show them your room key you can get a sample of a local beer. The hallway in the ground floor had an awful smell so try and stay away from the ground floor rooms. This is not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in but I the ONLY reason I would ever stay here again is b/c of the location to downtown Asheville and all of the restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to know who you spoke with at the Front Desk that informed you about not getting back in to the door. This is a problem I was unaware of and if they knew about a problem someone from maintenance should have been called to correct the issue. Starwood standard is to have optional entry points to the hotel that function. I apologize for any inconvenience. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We appreciate your business and would love to have you give us a second chance for an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay.
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel for 3 nights as we were in town to visit family for the holidays. I'll begin my review with stating the positives before I get into the negatives. Upon arrival, I was greeted very warmly by friendly and helpful staff at the front desk. Our hotel room appeared quite clean with the exception of the numerous dust bunnies underneath the beds (which can wreak havoc on asthmatics and allergists like myself). The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and had much more space than many other hotels I have stayed in at the 3-star range. One major perk of this hotel, if you're a fitness fanatic like me and my husband is that you are allowed to use the YMCA free of charge while staying at the hotel. Both my husband and I took advantage of this...well...until we were unable to get enough sleep on nights 2 and 3 to have the energy to workout. The first night was great. Comfortable beds, extra hot water in the showers, along with great water pressure, I was really starting to enjoy the hotel. Well, that was of course, until the people with two LOUDLY barking dogs moved into room 324, the room directly above ours. Around 9:00 PM on night two of my stay, the barking began. What the dog owners in 324 would do before they left the hotel for their nightly excursions was lock the dogs in the bathroom, which caused the dogs to bark non-stop. Believe it or not, but because they were in the bathroom right above ours, and there is a vent connecting the two, it sounded as if their dogs were in our very own bathroom. No exaggerations. We complained (politely) to the front desk and they were friendly saying they would get the maintenance guy to ask the owners to control the animals. Well, an hour passed and the dogs were still barking and my husband and I were starting to become quite annoyed as we couldn't hear our own TV over the barking without turning the TV up so loud it would disturb other guests as well. Around 10:30 PM, it was my husband's turn to head down to the front desk to handle the issue since we were ready to go to sleep. My husband said the front desk folks were nice and they told him that they had tried calling the owners cell phones and left messages since the maintenance guy had told them no one was in the room. The hotel had not heard back from the folks from room 324. Around 11:30 PM, the hotel staff offered to move us to another room, which is a plus and minus in my review. Here I was on the 2nd night of my stay with all of my belongings already hung up in the closets, clothes unpacked and put in the dresser, and already in my pjs and I was going to have to relocate to another room in the middle of the night. On the plus side, at least they offered to move us. On the down side, why was I being inconvenienced when I think the hotel should have somehow inconvenienced the owners of those dogs. Not long after the offer was made that we could change rooms, the owners in room 324 returned and the barking stopped. My husband and I opted to stay in our room since it was the close to midnight and we were hoping the people in 324 would either check-out the next morning or at least have common courtesy to not leave the dogs locked in the bathrooms barking. Well, we probably should have just moved all of our junk to another room when we had the chance. The people in room 324 were staying another night, just like us. On night 3 of our stay, we were awoken at 1:00 AM with the loud barking of dogs. The owners had, yet again, locked their dogs up in the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning. I quickly called down to the front desk where Gavin (I believe) took my call. He told me he would call up to the room promptly. A few minutes later, Gavin called me and said that they had to call the owners cell phone since they were not in the room. Gavin said that the owners mentioned they were going out to find food and would be back soon to quiet the dogs. WTF??? Here it was 1:00 AM, the owners knew the dogs would bark and be obnoxious and yet they did it again. And you know what, they did it because the hotel management sucks at punishing people that choose to allow their pets to be obnoxious and ruin other people's stay. What seemed like a great hotel and a 3 night stay that I was looking forward to, was quickly ended because this hotel is "pet friendly" with ZERO rules/consequences (that are enforced) to ensure that the pets do not ruin the atmosphere. As an added note, the owners did not return quickly so my husband and I lay awake listening to the LOUD barking until almost 2:30 AM. RIDICULOUS. This hotel has so much to offer and yet it was quite the let down all because it is "pet friendly." I loved the location of this hotel as it was within walking distance to downtown Asheville, but there's no convenience that would make me want to choose this hotel ever again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, December 24, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I have informed my Front Desk staff that we do not tolerate obnoxious dog barking. If the owners cannot come back in a reasonable amount of time we will charge them and compensate the guests that are being disturbed. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We appreciate your business and would love to have you give us a second chance for an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Got to be honest, when you book this hotel, nowhere on the website does it tell you how much the pet fee is...we booked it through SPG/Starwood Preferred Guest and on that particular website it does not show any fees to be charged. After disputing the charge they responded that they do mention that pets can stay for a fee on their personal website but nowhere does it show the actual fee. We did not even see their website because we book directly through SPG and why would a customer go to the particular hotel site to book it. Once we checked in we were advised that the pet fee is a non refundable $50 and it was too late for us to cancel without loosing our points and cash. They have plenty of room to be upfront and more open with their fees, everyone else seems to post their fees and if they are to high, we don't book it. By the way, the hotel is old and it shows. We wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. After our conversation I have spoken with SPG and asked them to disclose the pet fee amount. We do not mention the $50.00 on our website but will gladly disclose the amount when people call and ask. I assure you there is nothing to hide. Our building was fully renovated 5 years ago and is 42 years old. In 2013 we are due for another renovation. We appreciate your business and would love to have you give us a second chance for an honest, uncomplicated, comfortable stay.
Shannon Mason -- Guest Services Manager

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown? Share your experiences!