“set aside several hours” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel's Restaurant & Bar at The Grove Arcade

Carmel's Restaurant & Bar at The Grove Arcade
Corner of Page Ave. & Battery Park, Asheville, NC (Downtown Asheville)
828 252-8730
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #124 of 644 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“set aside several hours”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

the food was good but service was extremely slow! we were seated right away but a meal of one app n 2 salads took over 2.5 hours

Asheville, North Carolina
“There are other choices in Asheville”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Was seated quickly as dining room was empty. Took 15 minutes before we were served. Had to get up and look for a waiter. I had a pork chop with green beans and Mac and cheese. Pork chop was small but good. Mac and cheese was refrigerator cold. Had soup that was awful. The wife had meat loaf which was the worst ever tasted. Better restaurants to go to in town for sure. This is a tourist place so they are not worried about repeat business. One other thing. The bottle beer was not that cold and a small bottle at that. You won't get drunk here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Carole B, Owner at Carmel's Restaurant & Bar at The Grove Arcade, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
I apologize for your less than stellar experience at our restaurant. We put a high value on each and every guest that chooses to dine with us if they are a visitor to Asheville or a local resident. We take criticism very seriously and thank you for taking the time to point out any shortcomings. I would like to investigate your experience with my staff so that we can improve upon and correct the issues you experienced. Would you please take the time to email me with the details of your meal - what in particular you didn't like about the items you reviewed so I may take corrective action and make sure we are not making the same mistake twice? Your food should have been corrected and/or replaced with another option right there and then at the time you dined with us. I would like make this up to you - please email me at carolebowers@rocketmail.com
Asheville, North Carolina
“Would not go back!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hostess sat us inside and forgot about us! My husband finally found a server, we placed our order, he ordered the pork chop and I ordered meatloaf. The mac 'cheese was cold. The only good part of the meal was the salad...and this was a week night at five thirty right when they open! What a waste of fifty dollars.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gates Mills, OH
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I dined at Carmel's while visiting Asheville. We loved it!

The hostess seated us immediately and our server was attentive and efficient. The calamari starter was generous and tasty. Our beers, including the porter our server recommended, were properly served and so good on a warm evening! My salad with salmon was one of the best I've ever had. The berries were huge, the proportions were nicely balanced and I ate every bit. My husband's steak was prepared perfectly. The meal wasn't inexpensive, but it was excellent value.

The ambiance was urban-hip. We sat outside and enjoyed a couple of hours of people watching in this fascinating city.

We can't wait for our next visit to Asheville!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“If you're a vet, pay attention to this”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at B&B for a girls weekend and the proprietor suggested Carmel's for dinner. We ate there and it was mediocre. We sat outside on the patio and heard all the local Friday night screaming (thought we were about to be attacked) and local booze tours.

Then the next day, we learned from the co-proprietor that the B&B are hosting an extraordinary event on Veterans day. They open up their B&B at no cost to Vets to honor and thank them for their service. In discussing this with the co-proprietor, we learned that she requests discount / gift cards from the local restaurants to provide as gifts to the Vets (incredibly thoughtful). While she estimated that they refer about $20K/year to Carmel's, the owner of Carmel's won't return her calls/emails to provide a $50 gift card. That blew me away! How short sighted and just unAmerican. I was disappointed that we had given Carmel's any of our hard earned cash.

I would suggest that you boycott the restaurant and let them know that this type of lack of support is really unacceptable.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Carole B, Owner at Carmel's Restaurant & Bar at The Grove Arcade, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Wow - we missed an opportunity to show our support for our veterans! I assure you if I had been contacted directly, we would have certainly donated a gift card to the B&B that you stayed with. It's unfortunate that I did not learn of this event prior to your posting. I have a link on our website that I can be directly contacted for future requests. I will have our staff make sure that future phone attempts to contact us are handled correctly. Unfortunately dropping off a letter or calling by phone sometimes get lost in transit to our desk. If you give me the name of your B&B, I would like to call and apologize and make sure we don't miss this again next year! Carolebowers@rocketmail.com - thanks!