“Top spot for concerts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Orange Peel

The Orange Peel
101 Biltmore Ave, Asheville, NC 28801 (Downtown Asheville)
828 225 5851
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 33 Nightlife in Asheville
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Clubs
Apex, North Carolina
35 attraction reviews
“Top spot for concerts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The club is a premier live club venue. It has been written up in such publications such as USA Today, Southern Living Magazine, Travel and Leisure, Self Magazine, and Cosmo. It has been featured on Turner South Network. In 2009, Rolling Stone magazine named it one of the top 5 places to see a concert. And in the May 2011 issue of GQ it was written up as well.

The venue has a variety of artists that perform here. Nick and I were here to see Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel.

They do have a full service bar. Since this is the mountains of NC, they do have coat check. But keep in mind it is several racks and you hang your coat there and hope it is still there when you get back! They do have a nice covered area for smokers. Cameras are allowed without flash photography. Some shows are all ages and this show was. The all ages shows do end earlier than the 18 or 21 and older shows. The club does not have dining, but there are number of restaurants within walking distance and they are located in downtown Asheville. There is limited on site parking. We had to park at a paid lot around the corner for $5. There is also parking uptown but there are parking meters.

This was my first time at the Orange Peel and for the most part I really enjoyed the venue. The stage is huge giving the bands plenty of room to roam around. The stage is fairly low and there is no barrier between you and your favorite rocker. I also liked the fact they have a huge water cooler and cups for patrons to encourage designated drivers. As the designated driver I like that. Also the ladies room, unlike some clubs, has plenty of bathrooms so there was never a long line! And even from the back of the club, you can still get a pretty good view of the stage. And exit and reentry is allowed.

I only had two complaints. Cameras are allowed but no flash photography. Well my camera does not do well indoors at a concert with a flash on, so I wasn’t using mine. Twice a very rude came employee over and told me to turn my flash off. The third time, I screamed at him I wasn’t using my flash and this time he backed off. The lighting here from a fans prospective was horrible. Red lights wreak havoc with my camera and they used lots of red lights and there was a VERY bright light right in my eye sight. So when I was watching Testament, Eric was in front of me and I could only guess it was Eric when he was directly in front of me and all I could see was Eric’s body and a big ball of light!

If you are coming for a well known act, I highly suggest getting tickets in advanced and picking them up early or getting them day of BEFORE concert time. As we came around the corner there was a huge line snaked around and my heart sank as I thought I would not be close to my beloved Chuck Billy. As we got to the steps we noticed the sign said ticket pick up and purchase. Since we had our tickets in hand we got to go on in and I went right to the stage, allowing one person between me and yummy Chuck. By the end of the evening the show was sold out and was quite crowded.

Visited January 2012

Bristol, Tennessee, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Always a pleasure seeing shows here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

As i just said, i always love seeing shows at the Orange Peel. nice open floor with lots of space and plenty of bar space to grab a drink!

Visited October 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Beards of Comedy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Great show and wonderfully catered snacks. We were looking for something to do with our 19year old on fall break from college and this was a wonderful experience.

Visited October 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Perfect sized venue, large variety of music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have seen concerts here that I never thought I would be able to see. Beer is served in the venue, but if you find yourself craving some liquor, take a stroll downstairs to The Pulp (club under the peel). Security is great, bathrooms are always clean. Check out the website for upcoming concerts.

Simpsonville
“Mmmm Beer, and awesome entertainment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have been here on numerous occasions. Ticket prices are always reasonable and we like the atmosphere. They have plenty of beer on tap as well as in bottles. Local, domestic, etc. It's a little warm inside, so make sure you wear appropriate clothing. Also be very careful when using your cell phone. I tried to be a ninja and snap a picture of Zooey Deschanel and I thought I was going to be thrown down and beaten. I recommend keeping your cell phone in your pocket. Other than that, I've always had a grand time. I've even made friends in the crowd that we've kept in touch with and gone to other concerts with.

Visited May 2012