“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of French Broad River Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
French Broad River Campground
You added French Broad River Campground to your Saves list
1030 Old Marshall Hwy, Asheville, NC 28804   |
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

The reviews that I have read here are a little blown out of proportion. This is a great little campground. The spaces are pretty good compared to some we have stayed. The other sites aren't up your sewer pipe like some of the other campgrounds in the area. The sites are right on the river, which is beautiful. Early mornings when the sun is coming up, you can sit there and watch the fog rise from the river. You can watch the duck and their ducklings, the geese and their goslings. It's very interesting to to watch them take care and protect their babies. Then there is a train track on the other side. If you are a train lover as I am, you'll enjoy the trains going by. Overall, this is a great place to stay. If you are looking for a 5 star campground, then you need to go to Florida and stay at a RV resort and pay $150-200 a night. If you want a nice relaxing weekend in the mountains, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Rossville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The river side location is great. Not too far from Asheville. We went during the week and in off season, so there were not many other campers. It would have been a little crowded if it were full. Spots are tight for larger rigs. Can't get any closer to the water. We did not use the bath houses.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Seriously, these negative reviews are blown WAY out of proportion. My son and I have been camping here for several years around this time of the year and we have never experienced any problems with the owners and the camp sites are spacious enough and right on the French Broad River. Ok, so it's not the cleanest bath house but if you demand perfection, maybe you should stay in a hotel instead of a tent or camper (sorry, but even in a hotel you will find TONS of nasty germs floating around). One of the main reasons I like this place is because the sites are just a few feet from the river, it's a convenient location, very safe and quiet. There are worse places to stay out there...trust me.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

My family and another went to this campsite for a whole week ( which is not recommended whats so ever ) and it ruined camping for everyone. I love the outdoors, but I also love my showers. The 'bathhouse' was a complete JOKE as to there was no one to clean it but a 'For everyone's safety please mop after yourself ' sign with a bucket of dirty water and a smelly mop next to the door, the stalls didn't even have proper doors there was a curtain ( you could see through it ) and a wooden thing that had no latch and did not close all the way. The shower had mold everywhere ! my sisters and I had to get clever and buy biodegradable shampoo and conditioner to shower in the river. The trash was over flowing all the time, GROSS! and a lovely train with a really loud whistle comes buy every 3 hours, even during the night. I don't think the 'rent a john!' were ever cleaned out so pray that your campsite is not down wind from them. I wish I had pictures to show but I'm afraid the health department would become involved. On the plus side the river is absolutely gorgeous! just choose an alternative camp site

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Nasty nasty nasty. Do yourself a favor and don't go here. Yes, the river is nice, but that doesn't outweigh the negatives. Where to start? OK, it is filthy. It is rarely if ever cleaned. There was litter everywhere and the dumpster was overflowing with trash. It is located conviently near a dump (which I guess is ok), but the dump trucks speeding by with their engine brakes blasting is obnoxious. The ruddy-faced residents (employee? alcoholics?) sit around the 'bath house' with their dogs and make you feel like you are preciptously descending the social ladder. My favorite is the 'bathouse' though. There is a sign that declares 'Do not remove the shower head. Direct questions to management.' The bathroom is 'cleaned' daily, but don't let that fool you. It's a sorry state. The campground is crowded. It's dirty. With a little hard work, this could be a great campground, but right now it definitely is not.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
bellbrook, ohio, usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband and I were doing a trip from Asheville to the Outer Banks on a budget, so decided to camp the whole time. I chose this campground because it was right on the river. I enjoyed it. We brought our own rafts and floated the length of the campground a few times each day. It was quiet and peaceful--with some of the nicest campers I've ever met. We were tent camping, so had plenty of space (but I could see how larger campers would be cramped). The bath house was kind of small and gross, but honestly, with a river right there, porta-potties by the tents and running water at the sites, I really didn't need the showers. One day we swam in a beautiful waterfall pool (Skinny Dip Falls) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mosquitos were bad (it was July by a river). We found the owner to be very friendly and helpful. We arrived early and he gave us our choice of spots--even pointed out a bigger site to us.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed a week here unfortunately. Restrooms are filthy and and have a bucket and mop with a sign encouraging the guests to mop the floor as it seems no one else did as it always stunk terribly. Men's shower head was duct tape only and dirty as well. As a seasoned camper I can endure campgrounds that are "rustic" however the French Broad River Campground was the worst I've been to. Other campers water at their site did not work and would have to come to my site. Dumpster was overflowing for 4 days and was not pleasant for the first five campsites near it. Tent sites farther away have the luxury of port-o-potties. Hosts not very friendly either. Bad vibes overall here. Recommend going somewhere else!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to French Broad River Campground? Share your experiences!