“My boyfriend and I went...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mela Indian Restaurant

Mela Indian Restaurant
70 N Lexington Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-2823 (Downtown Asheville)
+1 828-225-8880
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 644 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Located on Lexington Avenue in the heart of downtown Asheville, Mela Indian Restaurant specializes in North and South Indian food made from scratch with local and organic ingredients. We are certified by the Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project for using ingredients produced by local farmers. Come sample our lunch buffet which has a range of delicious options including chicken and naan cooked in our authentic tandoor oven, raita prepared with house-made yogurt, and seasonal vegetarian specialties. The atmosphere at dinner is warm and intimate; specials include such favorites such as pistachio lamb and spinach and goat cheese naan which are baked in our genuine tandoor oven. Mela welcomes children and offers a kids menu. In addition to dine-in, we also offer catering services. We have many options available - please contact us for more details. At Mela, our goal is to provide our community with a taste of traditional Indian cuisine. We hope you'll come and join us soon!
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My boyfriend and I went...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

My boyfriend and I went here for Valentine's. Very classy and delicious!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The lunch buffet is terrific! One of the best in the area.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

The lunch buffet is terrific! One of the best in the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazing Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

My sister and I were staying at the Albemarle Inn and asked where we could get some good Indian food in Asheville. The staff highly recommended Mela, and we are so gratelful that they did! This is by far the best Indian food that I have ever had. (I have had excellent Indian food in London, but I believe Mela has them beat!)

Every dish we tried was absolute perfection! I only regret that I was visiting from out of town and had no way to take my left-overs with me!

I am already planning another trip to Asheville just so I can dine at Mela again! The only downside is that now I will forever be comparing my local Indian restaraunts to the exceptional meal that I enjoyed at Mela!

Charlotte, nc
“Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

Went to Mela indian restaurant on my recent trip to asheville.
A must try is the bread with spinich and goat chese. WOW.

Everything we had was and the price as not too bad.
I would go back to this one.

Atlanta, GA
“Who knew great Indian food was available in Asheville?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

My family absolutely loves Indian food, and we try it whenever we travel. Who knew this gem of an Indian restaurant exsisted in Asheville?!?!? Well, obviously, many people know, judging by the huge crowds and long wait times for a table at Mela! I just wish we found it sooner!

Everything was incredibly fresh and flavorful. The specials were unique and not to be missed! We ended up ordering so many dishes, because we just had to try so many different things. The naan was especially delicious...super crispy on the outside, and served piping hot! The chicken tikka masala was outstanding, and my daughter and husband said their mango lassis were one of the best they have ever tasted! Not one item was a disappointment.

The restaurant was lovely, and the service was good...not excellent, but good. Do not go there if you are in a rush. I also recommend having a reservation for dining on a Friday or Saturday night (or go before 6pm).