“Great Customer Service...and we saw a bear!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Columbia, SC
“Great Customer Service...and we saw a bear!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Ok - the hotel is not downtown. It's a quick car ride and parking garages close to the fun charge $5 (all day). The staff there is extremely nice and helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean. Flat screen TVs and pretty much any cable channel you can think of. Hotel bar has local beers in tap. No complaints.

Lots of chain restaurants within walking distance. A really fun Mexican place across the street. If you are into craft beer, Ingles has a great selection (get their advantage card to get the sale price).

So the bear - We parked in back by the wooded area. Went to my car around 10 AM, and a pretty big black bear was walking by in front of it. Thankfully, he was on the other side of a chain link fence...cool to see though.

Stayed July 2014
HotelManager2008, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Thank you for the great review. We truly appreciate your choosing to stay with us during your visit to Asheville. Our Holiday Inn & Suites Team takes great pride in exceeding the high expectations that IHG and guest expect. We look forward to you returning someday soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We came to town on a whim with plans to see Biltmore the next day. No reservations and no knowledge of the city left me calling around for rates. We stopped and asked at front desk here and an employee named Jon gave me the best service I've ever had after traveling for 40 years.
It was late, he quickly gave us a premium room at a great rate and shared info. about not just Biltmore but restaurants, etc.. Excellent employee. There was a lady named Addie on duty who was extra kind and helpful also. I would stay here again based on customer service alone. All the extras in the world can't take the place of good people. Way to go Jon.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our hotel offers several room types to accommodate traveler’s needs, our two bedroom suites can sleep up to six people. All of our suites include a pull out sofa bed also which is ideal for families. We look forward to you returning someday soon!
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

For my first trip to Asheville in many years we were hoping to book at the Biltmore Inn since we were going to spend most of our time at Biltmore during the trip, but the cost was ridiculous (nearly $300 a night). I found this hotel only a couple of miles from Biltmore and less than 1/2 the price!

First off, let me say, while the hotel is easy to spot, it is HARD to get to. We circled the perimeter a few times before finally figuring out you have to go down small road, turn right past a closed BBQ restaurant, past an Outback Steakhouse, then to the hotel. On our way there we passed a really seedy "rent by the hour/new mattresses" motel. More on that later...

Parking was FREE! YAY! Not only was there free spots in the lot but you could park UNDER the hotel for free to, right next to the elevator. Very convenient. I got checked-in in no time from the friendly staff and had no problem getting to the room as there are multiple elevators.

The room was clean and somewhat contemporary. The king size bed was nice and comfy. The cable TV had HD channels on it! The carpet looked new.

Now for the downside. While the location is beautiful, like all of Asheville seemingly is, it is located directly behind a run-down weekly rental motel. The decks of the motel are littered with broken bottles, beer cans, stained sheets, and who knows what else. I imagine the other three corners of the hotel have beautiful mountain views so just be sure to tell the staff you want a room on the opposite end of the crack house.

We left our

Room Tip: Avoid the crackhouse side of the hotel. It is facing the main road you came in on. Sorry, I can...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank djstatik
Thank you for staying! We truly appreciate you reviewing our hotel… Our Holiday Inn & Suites Associates enjoy assisting guests whenever possible. We look forward to you returning…
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Pros:
Exceptional front desk team. We were a late evening walk-in (though a rewards member) and did not have a reservation. Jon and Kaylee (sp?) at front desk worked quickly to find a solution to their sold out status on standard rooms - and they accomodated us with an upgraded room at standard rates after they asked if I was a reward member. It felt like a membership advantage. They clearly indicated the price, that breakfast was included as well as high-speed internet at no other charges. They told me where to park, offered me two bottles of water and wished me a great stay. To be honest, I felt it was handled as well as any great hotel.

The lobby is clean and crisp - very new looking - and the rooms excellent. New TV's, sheets, decent high-speed, good lighting, above average bathrooms with great amenities, in room coffee, bar sink and other services. They have a nice pool (which we did not use) and a lobby bar/restaurant which seemed well run and organized. Property had great lighting, good security and a very professional aesthetic. I give it high marks.

Cons:
Difficult to find the entrance - it is very confusing and good benefit from some additional signage from the road and right at the entrance to the property itself. Also, the A/C system is quite loud - something I have noticed in some other Holiday Inn & Suities properties. In this case, we were in a suite so the impact is modest to the bedroom area - but if it were in the room beside the bed, I think it would be bothersome if you were a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Facing the road has a little more road noise - but only if you have a door/window open. With the do...
    • 5 of 5 stars
HotelManager2008, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Your review of our hotel is very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to express your experience during your recent stay with us. Whether a studio, one or two bedroom suite; guest enjoy the spacious feeling and amenities that the Holiday Inn & Suites by IHG has to offer. Travelers staying in our one or two bedrooms have multiple TVs, no arguments on agreeing on a program. Our Holiday Inn & Suites Associates LOVE to assist our guests and truly enjoy helping everyone. We look forward to you returning to the Holiday Inn & Suites. Happy Travels...
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

very clean lobby and pleasant front desk staff. Rooms are clean and well insulated. The property is next to I 240 and never heard a noise. Towels were not as nice as you would have expected from a three star. Sort of thin and scratchy. Other than that, the rooms were clean and in good condition. Very different experience than a previous review of this property. Did not eat at the restaurant so I can't comment but there is plenty of restaurants close by with an Outback and Cracker Barrel within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our Holiday Inn & Suites is conveniently located to many GREAT attractions. Our associates enjoy assisting our guest whenever possible and take pride in making guests feel right at home. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

After check-in we went up right away to our room to drop off our luggage. The moment we opened the door to our hotel room we noticed it smelled a little funny. At first I thought it might be the AC unit below the window, but it seemed to be a little too putrid to be a damp air conditioner. I sat down on one of the two queen beds and noticed the stench was even worse and even fouler smelling. I then looked over the side of the bed and noticed there was a crusty stain on the floor and also down the side of the bed skirt. I called my boyfriend over to look at it because I couldn’t believe what was I was seeing and smelling. We were both shocked. How the maid had not noticed this or cleaned it before we were checked into this room is beyond me. It was right in front of nightstand and between the two queen beds- a very VISIBLE location and a very noticeable smell.

We immediately went down to the front desk to let them know about the vomit we found in our room. They seemed to be as in just as much shock as we were. My significant other and I were disappointed in the way the situation was handled. We were told that since they only had a few unbooked rooms left for that night and that we had booked on Priceline that we could NOT be placed in a different, vomit-free room.

The hotel’s solution to remedy the situation for us I found to be very unprofessional. A hotel staff member came back up to the room with us with a vacuum cleaner and a can of powdered carpet cleaner. My boyfriend and I actually helped her lift the mattress and remove the soiled bed skirt. This situation was very uncomfortable so when she started to work on the stain on the floor we left the room. No one ever came to replace the bed skirt or remake the bed. We were stuck looking at the wooden base and unmade bed as a reminder of what had been there. We were given a voucher for $20 to use for breakfast in the restaurant the next morning and also a voucher for the two of us to get a free domestic beer or glass of wine that night. (We definitely needed a drink before bed to prepare us for having to sleep in the vomit den.)

In such a situation that we experienced as guests I would have expected for the hotel staff at the very least to have had us wait in the lobby while they cleaned the room and remade the bed. I hope if they have an incident like this again that the management will handle it differently and not have the guests help with the clean up of the vomit if they are truly unable to move the guest into another room due to being completely booked. In a way we felt like we were being punished for having used Priceline and still paying $$$ since that is the reason they gave us for not being switched into one of the rooms they said they still had available, even if it was an upgrade or a downgrade- anything would have been better than a room with vomit in it. The unclean, foul room was the fault of the hotel, which they should have taken better responsibility for.

The proximity to downtown and the Biltmore was okay for the price, although be warned that the location would cause hesitation for some. We felt very safe in the hotel and in the parking lot, but this location was in an area I would not want to stay in again. A lot of old run down hotels and questionable characters walking around late at night. For their regular nightly rate listed on the IHG website I have booked rooms for the same price at four-star boutique hotels in the heart of downtown Asheville. I’m not sure why this one down on Tunnel Road costs so much.

The hotel décor and the room looked like it could use an update. Our room furnishings looked very tired and we were also missing our desk chair. Not that big of a deal since we only needed the room as a place to sleep for one night after the concert we came to see. The upholstered chair was stained and the walls had damage. The casegoods also were pretty beaten up along with the lampshades. The beds and linens looked new and fresh; we felt comfortable enough sleeping in the bed that had not be vomited on but the smell still slightly lingered in the room later that night after returning from downtown. We were pleasantly surprised with how quiet our room and the hotel was. The pool also looked very nice and clean; if we had more time we would have loved to gone for a swim. I was happy with our bathroom. They shower was hot and had strong water pressure. I also enjoyed the Bath and Body Works toiletries. The room also had a small built in dry bar complete with a mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and safe.

The only other negative about this stay was the breakfast. The breakfast and service we had the next morning was less than desirable- not at all what we were expecting for a Holiday Inn. The waitress we had seemed miserable and the omelets we order looked like the kind that are premade and you just need to microwave. I’ve had much tastier omelets and potatoes in coach class on trans-Atlantic flights (anyone who has had airplane eggs can probably guess what the breakfast here was like). We weren’t too upset with it though since we only had to leave a tip for the meal and we had a nice table on their private terrace. We thanked the waitress for her service and was given just an expressionless nod of acknowledgement, not even a “you’re welcome” or “thank you for dining with us”.

I’m not sure if I would consider this particular Holiday Inn and Suites a three star hotel compared to other hotels in the area. If they revamped the breakfast and updated the rooms it definitely would be though. Otherwise the hotel was average. We definitely won’t be staying here again on any of our trips to Asheville due to the way the vomit situation was handled.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the breakfast here. If you have a voucher to eat for free then yes, but otherwise...
4 Thank Amanda B
HotelManager2008, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel… Our Holiday Inn & Suites Associates take great pride in making every stay a pleasant experience and as past reviews suggest, exceed most expectations. IHG holds very high standards and we are pleased to say that we meet or exceed our goals in every category. We have reviewed our room attendant procedures and housekeeping department to assure the utmost quality and cleanliness is provided to our guests. Our records indicate that you were given complimentary breakfast and drink coupons for your inconvenience which you had accepted. If that is not true, please contact us so we can make things right and make you happy. We look forward to you returning to our hotel again…
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had booked a room through Hotwire so we didn't know we were getting this hotel until the transaction was finalized. When calling before our arrival to confirm our room, we were told we had gotten a king bed even though our family is three. When we arrived, a very pleasant man at the front desk (Kenneth) said he was able to switch us to a suite with a queen bed, rollout twin and a jacuzzi tub. Apparently the hotel was full, so this was not an easy switch to make. I don't know if they do this for everyone or because I recently applied for an IHG Club card, but we were also offered bottled water and vouchers for beer or wine at the bar. We read the Tripadvisor reviews, so we knew ahead of time that the hotel entrance is a little hard to find and that it really is not in downtown but a few minutes away by car. Knowing that ahead of time helped with our expectations. Would definitely recommend this as a decent, affordable option in Asheville with a very accommodating staff.

Room Tip: If you don't want to overlook the sketchy old motel out front, ask for a room facing the back of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate you staying with us while visiting the area. Kenneth is truly an asset to our hotel in addition to all of our Holiday Inn & Suites Associates. Each and every one Holiday Inn & Suites Associate enjoys assisting our guest. Not only do corporate travelers enjoy staying with us but so do families. We look forward to seeing you again soon…