“fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Princess Anne Hotel

You added Princess Anne Hotel to your Saves list
Princess Anne Hotel
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   301 East Chestnut Street, Asheville, NC 28801   |
Ranked #15 of 40 Asheville B&B and Inns
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

we cannot say enough about this place- helpful & sweet staff, lovely rooms, well maintained property. wine and cheese in the afternoon, gourmet breakfast all included; they even sent us a handwritten note to thank us for staying with them. not too far a walk in the cooler months but a 5 minute drive into downtown asheville, so really not out of the center by much. can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
PrincessAnneHotel, Manager at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
How great that we've earned the title, "fabulous!" It's good to hear that you had such a pleasant stay here at the Princess Anne Hotel. We look forward to the cooler weather too! Yet, we are still an easy walk into town in the evening. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Black Mountain, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Stayed with my sister at Princess Anne on July 12, 2010, while househunting in the area. The hotel lives up to the favorable reviews seen on tripadvisor. We checked in just in time for afternoon wine and cheese (delicious!), and enjoyed sitting on the back porch chatting with a few other guests. Our room was a suite style, with a separate living area with small kitchen, tv, table and chairs. A shower/toilet bath separated the living area from the bedroom. Bed was heavenly with lovely linens, and sink is in bedroom, so one of us could wash up while the other was in the shower. The air conditioning in the rooms was surprisingly excellent for an older hotel. The only caveat worth mentioning is that the floors are pretty creaky/squeeky, so if you wander around at night (couldn't sleep due to nerves about making an offer on a house that day), be prepared. We walked around the neighborhood for an hour the morning of our departure, checking out the charming houses in the area and working up an appetite for the delicious breakfast (included) in the dining room. I had the breakfast casserole; my sister had the spinach biscuits and eggs with bechamel sauce, leaving us both happy and full. I hope to come back someday (though I did end up buying a house in the area, so guess I'll recommend the Princess Anne to visiting friends instead). Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed July 2010
PrincessAnneHotel, Manager at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
We are so glad that you and your sister had a lovely stay with us here at the Princess Anne! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Welcome to Asheville! You'll love living here.
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night during a weekend trip to the Biltmore. The front desk staff was kind and helpful. We got very late for the wine and cheese hour, but the girl at the front desk offered to get us wine. The room was large and nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. It is in a quiet part of time, but it is only about a two minute drive to downtown. Breakfast was great! It was definitely the best meal we have gotten at a B&B. We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
PrincessAnneHotel, Manager at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
We are so pleased that you had a lovely stay here at the Princess Anne! Thank you for taking the time to let others know how much you enjoyed your visit.
Ridgefield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

This hotel shows more of a face lift then a real restoration. Patches in walls, sanded floors and a coat of paint. Located in a somewhat faded residential area away from the central district it is really not convenient to all the great restaurants and shops we found in downtown Asheville.
The web site price for our room when booked was $157 with a 20% reduction for the third night. Upon checkout I was charged $187 per night with a 20% reduction off that rate for the 3rd night. A $100 overcharge with tax. When I later asked for a refund they said to bad.
The breakfast and the afternoon wine and cheese were good
If you do go to Ashville Friday is the big night downtown.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
PrincessAnneHotel, Owner at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Your opinion of the restoration of the Princess Anne Hotel is quite surprising considering that this is an award winning restoration of a property on the National Register of Historic Places. I spent two years working with the city to bring this building, which was about to be condemned, up to code with regard to electrical, plumbing, fire safety, etc. The restoration was painstakingly undertaken to retain as much of the original integrity of the building as possible, not just gutting it and installing sheet rock. The building had 40 apartments, 20 bathrooms and 8 kitchens and I brought the building back to life with much of its original design left intact and I received a Preservation Society award for the work. You are very much alone in your opinion of it not being a "real" restoration. The restoration of the Princess Anne Hotel has been complimented by the Atlantic Journal, Miami Herald, Indianapolis Star, Our State and was voted one of Asheville's 10Best.com provided by Southern Living, December 2008, just to name a few.
As previously addressed with our multiple correspondences, it is difficult for me to understand your surprise at the room rate. We emailed a confirmation with the rates which you then confirmed when you checked into the hotel, and again when you paid the bill at check out. During all of your face to face interactions with us, you never mentioned any issue with the charges. We even went out of our way and provided you with a complimentary Romance Package, an exception to our usual specials which include the package for free only with our Grande Suite.
When we received your email expressing concern about an over charge, you were sent a copy of the email confirmation showing the cost of the room. I can only assume that you based your accusation of an overcharge on seeing the One Bedroom prices online and not on the One Bedroom Deluxe Suite which you booked and for which you received confirmation.
We regret that you were upset by the cost of your stay, but feel that we did everything in our power to provide exceptional service to you and that the pricing of your suite was fair and agreed upon in advance.
It is also interesting to note that on June 23rd, you wrote to us about your wish to pass on positive thoughts about the Princess Anne Hotel, as we were recommended to you by others. Your current remarks about the restoration are a very different tune than your previously expressed sentiments to pass on positive thoughts.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

The large, light filled windows, high ceilings, polished wood floors, curving staircase and the other historical architectural details are further enhanced by someone’s very good eye for well appointed rooms with a casual elegance and cheerful countenance. It’s all very grand and yet still so simply accessible and comfortable. Our suite had a down filled sofa. The bed was oh, so comfortable. The small elevator, with it’s automatically closing metal “cage” door provided me a delightful holiday from my elevator phobia. I felt as though I should be wearing a sequined dress and carrying a bejeweled clutch purse (think old black and white movie) each time I disembarked. The Princess Anne Hotel is poised beautifully between the character and beauty of its original era, and the ease and simplicity of contemporary aesthetics. A shady porch, with cushioned wicker seating and a small koi pond with garden sitting space, extend the peaceful space to the outdoors. A delicious breakfast, consisting of 3 options, as well as afternoon wine and snack offerings are served daily. The members of the staff are as friendly and helpful as can be. There was nothing missing but that stale hotel air, and, at the end of the week, the urge to go home.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
PrincessAnneHotel, Manager at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
What a beautiful description of our Princess Anne! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad that you enjoyed a peaceful stay here with us at the Princess Anne Hotel.
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Our first trip into Asheville was made very memorable by our stay at the Princess Anne Hotel. The hotel staff was knowledgeable and very pleasant with recommendations for hikes, where to eat and what to see while in the area. The breakfast was excellent every day as was the happy hour with wine and hors d'oeuvres. The wines picked out by the owner of the hotel were excellent.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
PrincessAnneHotel, Manager at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Thank you for your kind review of the Princess Anne Hotel. Hiking and wine are two of our favorite things! We are so pleased that we lived up to lived up to our good reputation and hope to see you again.
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

I don't typically write reviews, but felt I could not pass this opportunity up. We had not been away for some time and for my "getaway birthday weekend", I thoroughly researched where to stay. We decided on Princess Anne for two nights, knowing we were going to "splurge" on a more lavish inn the third night-Big mistake! I didn't want to say anything to my husband (as the trip was a birthday gift to me), but he read my mind when he said "You know I think I really enjoyed Princess Anne overall more than our fancy inn". I was so pleasantly surprised the moment we drove up to this inn. It was pretty and in a nice quiet residential section of Asheville. The wonderful, welcoming front porch was a perfect way to relax after four hours of driving. They had a great selection of wines/treats to snack on and I loved how everything was so tastefully decorated, but not 'stuffy" or overdone. We picked a grande suite (on the third floor after reading a review from above) and again, we so happy when we opened the door-it was spacious with a sitting room, a big comfy bed, a little alcove with a fridge/stove/microwave, and a nice claw foot tub in the bathroom. They had placed a surprise, complimentary bottle of champagne, 6 chocolate covered strawberries and a birthday card on the table! I have never been anywhere else that has done that. The bed was heaven to sleep in, the breakfasts tasty and not rushed (I liked that there were 2-3 choices as well as I can be picky at times) and I can't say enough about the staff and their seemingly effortless customer service. Whether it was recommending a restaurant, giving very specific directions on how to walk downtown (an easy, safe 15 minute walk by the way) or recs on local bands and clubs, they seemed to really enjoy guiding us. When we mentioned we had early am appts at the Grove Park Spa, our hostess immediately said " well in that case we will bring up some yogurt/fruit/homemade granola this evening to put in your fridge". When we played too long in downtown asheville, we called and asked if they would leave us out a glass of wine. They left us a bottle out and a very nice "spread" of crackers/cheeses/fruit as well. I felt very pampered and even had a hand written thank you note come in the mail a few days later. I know this is long winded, but I think it is a rarity these days to experience this kind of customer service, and I cannot wait to spend more time at the Princess Anne in the future!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for complimenting our Southern hospitality! Your approval of everything from our decor to our customer service means the world to us! All of us here at the Princess Anne really love Asheville and sharing our knowledge and enthusiasm with our guests. We appreciate your kind review and look forward to your next visit.

Been to Princess Anne Hotel? Share your experiences!