“Very Relaxing Enjoyable Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville

You added Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806 (Formerly Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #41 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
South TX
“Very Relaxing Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights. I agree with other reviewers that it's more than a little tricky to find, but the winding road certainly had no potholes when we were there. Loved the spacious and attractive room with the small refrigerator. Bed was fantastic. Grounds were beautiful. Golf with cart was only $20. Pool was beautiful. Restaurant was a little pricey, but excellent. Don't understand the the reviews complaining about smoke, as it was non smoking when we were there. Balcony was nice, and had a great view of the entire resort. Wi fi was non working in our room, so don't bring your computer, but who needs it at this place? Can't give high marks to service because my complaints about wi fi were practically ignored, even so I would highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

As I was planning my trip I could tell that finding the place would be a challenge. Even after staying there I still don't know where the main entrance road is, the only access I could find was a one way winding pot-hole filled lane. I had to back up once to let other traffic through. The overall appearance is quite shabby. I have never experienced such a gap between the pictures on the internet versus the appearance in person. I suppose the hotel served its purpose. We had no major cleanliness issues. But the whole complex was sprawlng and the parking rather inconvenient in relation to the entrances. No free breakfast. If I'm ever in Asheville again I will definitely look for another place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Plus side..room was clean and we found very acceptable
Staff was very social & helpful
A good location for our travel plans
Shuttle service to downtown
Very good fitness equipment and area
Very good clay tennis courts
Negative Side..pets are allowed..couple nights listen to barking a dog apparently left alone in a room
Room walls could transmit less sound
An afternoon at the pool, listen to a barking dog in a kennel left on a balconey for several hours
Fees associated with outside tennis courts

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

This was our 4th stay here over the past 10+ years. The pros are that the rooms and public areas have been maintained. If you are on the breakfast program the buffet is very good. Wifi is excellent. Rooms clean.
The down is the service.
At check in they could not find my room. A second Rep came out and fixed it quickly. Sat night - No Vermouth!!!? Duh...we ran out! Have red wine? yes sir, Cab or Pinot. OK Pinot. Wife wanted out of the smoke! Later found out I was charged $15.50 for a glass of rat gut Red Pinot!! TWO inquires IGNORED as that can't be right! $46pp+ dinners at the Bilmore charged $8.50 for FAR better wine. If $15.50 is the price RESPOND to my inquiries! Could not find ANYONE at checkout!
Next night - rain+ - went to the dining room. We have been there before and it is pretty good. Waited over 10 mins as a sever and a Hostess ran aound and watched us from a far. Gals behind us thought they could eat in the bar. The smoke in the bar ran us all out.
This bar has gone from great to beer and smoke We left, ate downtown. Upon return the gals behind us are just exiting (!) saying never again. How long did they wait?
Fireplaces cut. Service cut. Bar cut.
As much as we have liked this place in the past I doubt we will ever stay again. This is NOT Crown Plaza class. I suspect their business is going to be nothing but groups to try and pay the bills.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

My mom and I decided to add an additional night to our weekend trip to Asheville, so we booked one night at this hotel on hotwire.com. It was a great deal for the price, which was around $65.

The resort was difficult to find, so don't be surprised if you get a bit lost. I was expecting this after reading previous reviews, so we were prepared for some difficulty finding the place. The entrance is very weird and looks like a service entrance to a Sams Club, as it's a small driveway immediately in front of Sams that is not well marked. However, once you figure out where the hotel is located, it is in a convenient area less than two miles from downtown.

The room was nothing fancy, but was clean and adequate. The outdoor pool looked nice, but it wasn't warm enough to swim. The beds were extremely comfortable - some of the nicest I've slept on in a hotel. I would stay here again for a rate under $75.

If you are just looking for a clean place with a comfortable bed and get a good rate, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
St Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights in April 2009. Never had been to Asheville, this hotel is right off of 240, about 5 minutes from Downtown Asheville. Hotel was clean, good shower pressure, comfortable beds. Walls a bit thin, so know that going in. We had the breakfast buffet, which was adequate, if not a bit pricey(like $11pp.) We booked online at a very good rate, so definitely felt the value was spot on. A good hotel, would stay again if in the area if the price is right.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
RICHMOND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed here for one night through Priceline for $45.00. The hotel was nothing special. The lobby was very nice and check in was fast/friendly once we were waited on, as there were at least 8 people waiting to be checked in and only one person working the desk. The rooms were very clean, although they were a bit small and dated. The location is close to downtown, but not close enough to be withing walking distance. At $45 it was a good value, if I was paying full rate I would have been a bit disappointed.

My only complaints were that the room's have very, very thin walls. When guests in the next room talked, it was as if they were in our room. When they wake up, you WILL be waking up with them.

We stayed on the first floor which is also occupied by a medical supplies company. (We later found out the owner, a doctor, converted some rooms for his business.) We were stunned to find racks of medical goods in the hallway in between the guest rooms! Our concern was that there were children in the hallway digging through the items! This was very bizarre. We reported this to the front desk who told us they would look into it. When we checked out the racks were still in the hallway?

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville? Share your experiences!