“A perfect hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville

You added Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806 (Formerly Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #44 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Holland
“A perfect hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Ater our tour through the South we ended here. After this we had to go to Atlanta, georgia.
This is a wonderful hotel. It has everything. Besides that, Ashville is a nice town with a lot of things to do and to see. Like the Bitmore house and Mount Mitchell.
The parking is free. The lunch and dinner they serve are excelent. The rooms and the beds are fine. The staff is friendly.
This hotel is situated a little to far from the center so you have to go by car.

Room Tip: When you like smoking ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your great feedback and I'm so glad that you made Asheville and the Crowne Plaza Resort a part of your trip through the southern states. It seems as if you got to experience a lot of what our Resort as well as the local community has to offer, and I appreciate you highlighting our staff and ammenities as areas that truly made your visit stand out. I do want to clarify that we are 100% non-smoking in accordance with the most recent NC laws and even smoking on your balcony is a finable offense in the eyes of the fire marshall. The best option for future travelers who wish to smoke is to request a first floor room with a patio so you can step outside and smoke. You need to be 15 feet away from the building for safety reasons which is why we reccommend the rooms with patios as opposed to balconies for smoking. Again, I really appreciate you leaving such a great review and hope you can come back for another visit in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

First of all, we had the hardest time locating this place. It's so hard to find unless you have some very specific directions. I was using Google Maps on my iPhone and I do not suggest doing the same! Very frustrating experience initially. Once you get there, it is on a hill, somewhat secluded on a big property. It really is only a 5 minute drive from downtown Asheville and once we knew our way, it was no issue. The room was nice, with a pleasant view of the green grounds. Room was quiet, beds were comfortable, breakfast was good. No major complaints.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your most recent stay at our Resort, and I am so glad that you found your accomodations quiet, comfortable, and to your liking. I can totally sympathize with your frustrations with finding our hotel as a first time guest as often times utilizing a GPS or online mapping tool makes things even more confusing due to the everchanging nature of I-26 just south of the hotel entrance. For future travelers (especially guests coming from directions in the South or West) I would reccommend utilizing the directions page on our website www.ashevillecp.com. It has detailed turn by turn instructions for both our main and back entrance and should make things much easier for first time guests especially. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I hope you can come back for a return visit in the near future.
Metro Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a quick trip to Ashville to visit Biltmore and get away. The extended king room was big and roomy with a nice view in the woods. The location was good (once you found the hotel) for a getaway. However the bathroom was way too small.
We put out a door hanger for express breakfast, but they did not pick it up. To their credit, they did give us free breakfast in the dining room.
Great trails for walking the dog.

• Stayed March 2013
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for review and I appreciate your great feedback regarding our rooms, location, and ammenities. I want to apologize again that your room service hanger was not retrieved as it should have been. As you mentoined, we were able to make things right with complimentary breakfast for you and your party but I'm sure that is not how you planned your morning when you requested room service. I hope you and your 4-legged friend can come back for a visit at a later date and enjoy more of what our Resort and Asheville as a whole has to offer!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The word "resort" must apply to the sprawling, beautiful grounds of the property only. The Spa was cramped, outdated, fully booked for a week solid (too bad, this was the reason we booked) and full of rude employees. The hotel must have the same carpet throughout that it had in 1970. The only thing updated since 1970 were obviously the beds and linens which are very nice and luxurious. Our "kitchenette" had no fridge, or anything resembling a kitchen at all. The "5 minute walk to town" boasted by the hotel website- to walk to Asheville you would need to cross two highways (with no sidewalks?) and hike about a mile uphill. Blatantly not possible. There is however, a great shuttle service. The power went out in west Asheville during our stay. Now, that is not the hotels fault. However. The backup generator took 45 minutes to kick on, so the sold out 'resort' was pitch black for almost an hour. The generator left all guest rooms with no electricity whatsoever, and little to no light in hallways. When panicked guests needing outlets and say, a light in there room, approached the desk, they were belittled and given no information. The sliding door to our balcony was scratched and old, the tracks were broken, there was no screen. And our room was a 6 minute walk from the front desk, with seemingly no working elevators in the building. The best part about our stay was the wonderful gentleman making omelets at the breakfast buffet, and the free bottled water. Save your money and stay somewhere that has been given a fresh coat of paint in the past 30 years

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us and I'm so glad that you enjoyed our wonderful breakfat buffet and in particular our omelette chef. Truthfully I was a bit taken back at first with some of your comments thinking that the review must have been from a different property, so I want to clarify a few statements, so future guests will understand what to expect. First, I'd like to let folks know that our 8,000 square foot fitness complex which houses our Adelaide Spa as well as all the carpeting in the common areas/meeting rooms of the property are less than 2 years old with the Spa in particular having a very modern decor with excellent services and staff. I apologize that they weren't able squeeze a booking in for you that particular weekend and I'm encouraging my reservationists to suggest that people book their treatments at the time of the room reservation, as they tend to get extremely busy at the Spa each weekend. All of the carpeting in the guest rooms and hallways are set to be replaced either late this year or early 2014 in accordance with the Crowne Plaza brand standards which will look great beside our existing new carpet. I'm still searching online for any site representing our property that boasts "kitchenettes" in the rooms or the fact that we are a "5 minute walk to downtown" without any luck, but if you'd be willing to call me directly at 828-285-2607 I'd be happy to look into your claim and find out how I can prevent any confusion going forward. We do provide mini fridges in each of our guest rooms, coffee pots, and microwaves on request but only have one suite which has a legitimate kitchen. FInally, I just want to truly thank you for your patience during the power outage that knocked out electricity in the Western portion of Asheville due to a car accident. It was quite a challlenging experience for our guests and staff alike but I thank you for offering suggestions for improvement. Even though the back up generator took 20 minutes to get limited power to the building it is designed to kick start immediatly after the power goes out and we have an open investigation concerning this issue so it will not happen again. I was actually called in from home to assist with the incident and was at the front desk assisting guests with checking in and answering questions for the duration of the outage. We didnt' get any information from Progress Energy until about an hour into the ordeal concerning the cause of the issue, and I apologize that we weren't able to provide any details concerning the problem when you came to the desk. Even though we have flashlights at the front desk for staff to escort guests to and from their guest rooms, we just don't have the ability to provide lanterns or flashlights to the hundreds of guests we had in house at the time. I'm truly sorry that we could not do more to cater to your needs and questions during the 2 hour ordeal but I thank you for sharing your experience. I honestly hope you can return to our property in the future and give us another opportunity to wow you with your amazing staff and ammenities.
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I visited Asheville this past weekend with my brother and his wife to celebrate his birthday. I have to admit we were a little nervous about staying at the Crowne Plaza after reading some of the reviews. I don't know the place they were describing as our rooms were up to date, clean, and comfortable. I am very picky about beds and pillows and these were superb - I slept like a baby both nights. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that the walls are kind of thin. We could hear the baby in the next room early in the morning.

The staff was very welcoming and pleasant. When they found out we were traveling with another couple, they switched our rooms so we could be close to each other. I would also recommend taking their shuttle to downtown as it only costs $5 roundtrip. You don't have to worry about parking downtown or how much you had to drink. And they were very prompt to pick us up when we called.

The grounds are beautiful. My husband and I took a pleasant walk around the grounds and then relaxed in the rocking chairs on the front porch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your outsanding review and I'm so glad that we were able to create a memorable birthday weekend for you and your friends! I'm happy you were able to take advantage of some of our great ammenities such as the downtown shuttle, and hope you can return for a visit in the very near future. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza last week for a couple nights on a business trip. The rooms were clean and quiet. Service at the front desk was cordial. The facilities were nice. They had an excellent exercise facility which is very important to me. I can't speak to value but it's probably a little overpriced. I wouldn't hesitate going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your feedback and I am so glad that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. Our service and amenities are two of our strongest selling points and I appreciate you highlighting these areas as important parts of your experience here. Cant wait to have you back on your next visit to our area!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked our two day stay 60 days in advance on Hotels.com. We specifically booked a non smoking king room. At check in the hotel was less than 40% occupied yet they had no king rooms for us. After review with the front office manager they found one at a $15/ night up charge. Needless to say I found this unacceptable and after additional consideration the hotel agreed. However we were charged by the hotel and Hotels.com both so we had to spend time with management getting this resolved. I then found a $50 charge to my credit card as if it were a debit card...which it wasn't I haven't yet seen the credit for the $50 but expect to.
The room was clean and comfortable and the staff helpful for the most part. I would give the accommodation a four star rating had it not been for the mix up upon check in.
Morris and Marilyn

Room Tip: Make sure you know how to find it. We spent 30minutes with our GPS taking us around in circles prio...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am really glad you enjoyed your stay once we got the details of your reservation sorted out. Most third party booking outlets such as Priceline or Hotels.com offer steep discounts on occassions but never guarantee any room type. This can be very misleading for our mutual customers and I apologize if you felt you were mislead by the website you booked through. Even though you had not reserved a King size bed I'm glad my evening manager was able to accomodate your request for an upgrade due to your Priority Club status. A tip for all future travlelers...Do not trust your GPS or online directions for getting to our property! Please refer to www.ashevillecp.com for accurate turn by turn directions and it will make your lives much easier. Old software and ever changing traffic patterns can make it a bit tricky if you rely on a GPS!

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville? Share your experiences!