“Previous reviews are spot-on” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806 (Formerly Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #43 of 59 hotels in Asheville
Bahamas
“Previous reviews are spot-on”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Although I cannot comment on value-for-price (we were part of a wedding party, so our room was discounted), I can say that the stay is comfortable, staff very helpful, and overall facilities offer more than your regular hotel.

Everything I'm about to say has been previously mentioned by other reviewers, but I'll go through it again:
PROS: Beds are comfortable, room spacious, coffee maker in room with ceramic mugs (not paper), walking trails and other amenities for active guests (nice gym, tennis courts, etc), pretty decor in the lobby.Breakfast was pretty good as well with a number of choices. Though we did not get to use it, the bar area looked very nice and inviting as well.
CONS: The bathroom, though clean is extremely small. Our bathroom at home is small, so when I travel I like to experience a larger bathroom. This is the first time I've been in a hotel where the bathroom was actually smaller than ours. It's a one-person-at- a-time bathroom - a second person could not even squeeze in if they tried. You have enough room just to open the door and step in. Also, if given the choice, I would prefer a hotel closer to the downtown area. However, the hotel does run shuttles to downtown quite often, so if you prefer to stay somewhere to enjoy the outdoor amenities, then this may not bother you.

My last comment is that this hotel is much larger than what we usually prefer as we tend to stay in bed and breakfasts. However, I can see its appeal to some who may be looking for a hotel near, but not in the city.

Room Tip: The first floor tends to be noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
I appreciate your comments and like the fact that you provided some very positive aspects of your stay as well as some ways we can improve. Our bathrooms, though rennovated are a bit on the small side compared to newer hotels, but still retain a clean modern feel to them. There are several very nice hotels in downtown Asheville, however we enjoy just a little bit of seperation from the hustle and bustle. Our strength is that we can price ourselves lower per night than any of our downtown competitors while offering amenities that you cannot find anywhere in Asheville. Our shuttle as you mentioned is a great way to get back and forth to downtown and departs every half hour from the hotel lobby. Thank you your time in providing this review.

551 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Hagerstown, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

the price of the room was not worth it. I have stayed in hotels that cost 1/2 as much and were twice as nice. No microwave, crown modeling even looked bad and you have to pay for breakfast not worth it at all!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I am sorry that you did not find the value in the multitude of amenities we have to offer or the courtesy of our fantastic staff. Though we are an older property that has undergone major rennovations throughout the years, we pride ourselves on the vast array of activities to keep you busy during your stay with us. 90% of our amenities are absolutly free with the only things requiring a fee are our spa, golf course, indoor tennis courts (outdoor are free), zip line course, and tree top adventure park. Everything else, including parking and Wifi are free of charge and I feel that this really adds to the value of our Resort. We offer some great off season rates January-March and would love to have you give us another try in the future. Thank you for your time.
East Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This property sounds wonderful--resort amenities, location near downtown etc, but falls short through no fault of the current staff. The main problem is the way the rooms were sited when originally built--they all have balconies that, mostly, look out on parking lots. Which is ridiculous given its scenic location. And where you need to park is miles (MILES!) from almost every room. Even the front unload area is quite far from a number of rooms. That said, the interior is attractive, though older, and the room decor is updated, with comfortable mattresses and above-average bedding. The elevator to my wing was comically tiny, especially for guests with luggage, but did run reasonably fast. The swimming pools, racquet ball center etc are quite a distance from most of the rooms, fyi--not great with small children. During my stay there were not enough parking spaces for all. The "business center" was a tiny room with three computers and one printer (definitely not adequate for a property of this size). Staff were wonderful, friendly and accommodating, the room was clean, and room service meal was good, though the menu was a bit limited as compared with other similar hotels. The hotel offers a shuttle to downtown, which is a great convenience ($5 charge per person). Overall, this property is definitely not worth rack rate, and is only great to just get a night's sleep. Or pay to use the amenities (golf, racqet club etc) and stay someplace cheaper or with a better view.

Room Tip: Only rooms not overlooking a parking lot or playground are those on the east side of Building D, whi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am very sorry that you were so underwhelmed with our Resort, but I thank you for providing your feedback so we can improve. Though we have 550 parking spaces for just 272 rooms, I can understand your frustration with not being able to park as close to your room as you would like. We have 6 entrances for our 3 wings of sleeping rooms (less than half face the parking areas and even some of these get you a downtown skyline view) and we encourage our guests to park as close as possible to their particular entrance to make things more convienient for unloading bags. Sometimes during peak weekends parking right outside of your entrance can be a challange, but we always have bellmen on duty to assist with luggage if neccessary. I appreciate all of your positive comments, especially regarding our staff and I hope you can come back again in the future to take advantage of many of our free amenities that you might not have encountered on your recent trip. We are always happy to shuttle you anywhere on our 125 acre property free of charge. Just ask!
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Pros: Comfortable beds, good location, nice property. We had minimal staff interaction, but what we did have, they were friendly. Very clean.

Cons: Old hotel (popcorn ceilings old). You can hear EVERY SINGLE THING happening in the hallway and neighboring rooms, including them unlocking their doors. Our tv had mostly fuzzy channels. They could be watched, just had fuzzy lines. And the remote didn't work well. This may not be the case in other rooms, though.

Summary: We had a perfectly decent stay. I was a bit disappointed in how old the room was, but the comfy bed made up for it. And, it's apparent they have tried to make updates without doing major renovations. There is a flat screen TV, the bathroom counters are a granite looking surface (though small). We had no major issues. Did hate hearing every sound in other rooms and the hallway, though. Still, it served its purpose perfectly and was close to what we were doing. So, this review being less than "very good" is mostly due to the hotel being rather old for the money ($163) and little things that were kind of "oh, that sucks," but not any major problems we had.

• Stayed October 2012
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I really like your "Pros", "Cons" and "Summary" format for providing feedback. I feel like it really makes it easy for the hotel as well as future travelers to understand. Of course I wish there was a few less of the "Cons" but I appreciate you bringing those things to our attention here at the hotel level. As I mentoined on a previous review from another guest who stayed with us the same weekend you were here, we did discover that the TV issue stemmed from a Charter Cable problem, and has been fixed since your departure. I can totally understand your issue with the noise between rooms, and I apologize that this put a damper on your stay. If you are ever in Asheville in the future, I encourage you to give us another shot so we can try to provide a great stay as opposed to just a good stay.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The room was really large and the bed was really comfy. There is FREE wireless (which is rare oddly enough). People were also nice.

Other than those few things, nothing was really exceptional. The TV was just plugged into the cable outlet in the wall... so you have to flip through static channel to get to actual channels and it was picking up over the air HD channels. Typically there is a cable box with the hotel's own programming too.

The room itself and the guest wings could use to be updated. They were really nice at one point, but they could use to be refreshed. Room 102 faces the wall of another building and it must be near the laundry facilities because there is lint all over the grass outside the patio (which makes me not want to go out on the patio).

I did the breakfast buffet the first day. It is attempted to be a little classy (hostess to seat you and the omlete/waffle bar is where you have to get your eggs even if you just want them scrambled) but it would be better suited to do away with the hostess and have a tin of eggs as there always seems to be a line at either place. Also, the food was just eh. I think the sausage made my stomach upset all day.

The location is great though. Very close to downtown Asheville and sits up above the surroundings. It was just not typically what I would expect from a Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Try to get the highest level, odd numbered room that is lower in numbers: Lower numbers (1-50) are...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback concerning your most recent stay with us, and I appreciate your positive as well as constructive comments. First of all, thank you for your positive feedback in regards to our amazing staff, free Wifi, location, and our extra comfy Simmons Beauty Rest beds. The TV reception issues you faced was brought to our attention by other guests the same weekend you were with us, and we had Charter Cable come out and replace our system the following day to ensure that this will not cause problems for our future guests. Though I haven't had anyone complain about lint near room 102, it is close to our underground laundry facility and I will have our engineering department look into alternatives to make this area cleaner. I can understand how two different lines at the breakfast buffet can be frustrating, and we are always looking to improve our services, especially at very busy peak times of the morning. I know that they have scrambled eggs on the buffet, and are able to cook eggs in the kitchen if ordered off the a la carte menu. Overall, I am sorry that we could not provide a more memorable visit to our property, and I hope you can give us another shot in the future.
Decatur, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Asheville for one night a couple weeks back. The main reason we stayed here is we're thinking of having our wedding in Asheville, and the Crowne Plaza is the closest hotel to the wedding venue we were looking at - so I wanted to scope things out and see if it would be a good place to reserve rooms for our guests.

The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. The gentleman who checked us in was Bill; he especially was great and probably the nicest front desk employee at any hotel I've stayed at. I had reserved a "King Deluxe" room, mostly because the description said we would have a view of the mountains and downtown - he let us know that that this was the last King Deluxe room available and was on the 1st floor, therefore there was not much of a view (just the covered up outdoor pool). I appreciate that he was proactive in letting us know that!

The room itself was OK, nothing less nothing more. I liked that we had a small patio though, so if we wanted to step outside we didn't have to go all the way back out through the main entrance. The bathroom was very small. The TV was pretty small for being a King Deluxe room and the remote control didn't work well. The bed though was very comfy! My biggest complaint on the room, and I saw at least one other reviewer posted this - on 4 or 5 occasions the phone would ring, just once or twice, then stop. Not a big deal, but when it woke me up at 5:20 in the morning, I was NOT pleased to say the least. I meant to say something to the front desk clerk the next day as we were leaving but forgot. I really hope they fix this.

The other staff we encountered were OK. We stopped in the lounge early in the evening for a drink, the bartender was nice but not very engaging when we asked him questions about Asheville, good places to check out, etc. We stopped back in later in the evening (around 10pm or so) and the bartender at that time was a nice guy, good conversationalist.

Unfortunately since we only stayed one night and the weather was lousy, we didn't get a chance to check out much of the property, though we did (accidentally) drive past the indoor pool and gym, both looked very nice and well maintained. Other than getting a couple drinks at the lounge, we didn't eat at either restaurant, though both looked OK.

All in all, it was a nice hotel, not on par with other Crowne Plazas I've been to, however. They really need to fix the issue with their phones ringing randomly! Not 100% sure at this point if I would recommend my friends and family to stay here for our wedding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for your upfront and very honest review of our Resort. I appreciate your comments regarding our staff and service, especailly since Bill is one of our newest front desk agents. I will be sure to share your kind words with him! As you mentioned, the random phone calls have been addressed with mangement and we are working with the local phone company to correct this strange but frustrating issue. Its going to involve replacing all of our underground phone lines on the entire property, and though it is not completed, is actively being worked on. I'm sorry that you didn't have time to explore all of the features/amenities that we have to offer here, as they are very popular with the wedding parties that we have stay with us. The golf course, spa, zip line course, and 20 tennis courts are very popular with our guests. I truly hope that your frustration with the phone system will not deter you from considering our location for your wedding party, and that we will see you as well as your friends/family in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Crowne Plaza this is not. Maybe back in the day, but this hotel is nothing better than the Holiday Inn's I passed along the highway. Let me first say that the front desk staff, especially Bryan and the Property Manager, sorry I don't remember your name :( both were very attentive and nice.

That said, the Hotel is not what I expected for a Crowne Plaza "Resort". We had reserved a Villa on the outer edge of the property. Upon arrival we were told that the keys to the room require a deposit of $150/ key, SERIOUSLY?? Change the locks yourself and save $125.00. We were greeted by one of the party hosts and told that another couple had already been in a different Villa and experienced an infestation of assorted bugs, and are now in the main hotel in a standard room. With trepidation we went on to our Villa. As soon as we opened the door we found 2 bugs on the floor in the foyer. Honestly, no problem, the Villa's are sort of in the woods and in North Carolina I can't say that I would not expect this. What I did not and would never expect is when I checked the beds, I found hair on the pillows of all 3 beds, I removed the blanket and found hair on the sheets of 2 beds, AND what appeared to be a fresh stain on the sheets of one of those beds and a bug on another. That was it for my family and I. Bugs - OK, dirty beds - No Way! Good new is that we were quickly switched to a room in the main building that was fine.

Then there was breakfast on the first morning. The food was average at best and not even as good as most mid-range hotels that provide free breakfast with every room. The waiter was so inattentive, that our plates started to pile up on the table (it is a buffet), and our coffee got cold. The waitress in the area was not even alert enough to step in and assist. So much for Southern Hospitality. I saw our waiter 3 times during our meal - once to pour the one and only cup of coffee, 5 minutes later to announce how much everybody's meal was and leave the check, and the third time to pick up the signed check.

My only other gripe is that the elevator is very small, slow, and barely fits the luggage rack. So why does the housekeeping staff need to use it to transport their tools of the trade. Not only does it slow the elevator down, but they have 1 -2 carts with them and there is no room left inside for Guests to use it and therefore we have to wait for the next one. Only once, of at least 3 encounters, was the staff courteous enough to relinquish the elevator to the guests waiting when the doors opened.

I realize that this review is a bit long winded, but after driving 14 hrs to this destination and being so disappointed, anything less than a detailed review would be wrong.

Room Tip: Villa's are not worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
First, let me thank you for taking time out of your day for such a thorough review as it only helps is improve areas that are in need. I'm glad that myself, as well as Lori, my co-manager were of service to you as we assisted in making your stay better following the issues that you described. One thing that should be clarified right away is that the Asheville Vacation Villas on our property are in no way affiliated with the Crowne Plaza brand. They are operated seperatly from the main hotel, and though some of the amenities are shared, Crowne Plaza standards do not apply to the Villas. Regardless, the problems that you encountered in the Villas are completly inexcusable, and we are currently revisiting our policies on how these units are inspected by the housekeeping staff. Concerning the service at breakfast, I sincerely apologize for this blatent lack of hospitality and the restaurant manager is reviewing the weekend you were here to find out if we were understaffed, or if it was just an extremely busy morning. Hopefully your other experiences at the restaurant were more plesant than you initial one. Thank you so much for your feedback both positive and constructive.

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville? Share your experiences!