“Just ok- hotel walls are thin- heard neighbors interlude.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville

You added Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806 (Formerly Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #44 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Just ok- hotel walls are thin- heard neighbors interlude.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

The walls are really thin. Location was ok- not too far from downtown once you get your bearings. The decor is very dated, but the place has potential. I would not consider this a 3 1/2 star hotel though. One perk: the $5 shuttle to/from downtown. We didn't try any of the eateries on property with the amazing selection of really good restaurants. Next time we come visit, I will try a B&B with more character or a boutique property.

• Stayed March 2012
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Our close proximity to downtown and our $5/person roundtrip shuttle are two of our strongest selling points and I am very glad that you took advantage of both in order to appreciate the multitude of great restaurants in downtown Asheville. I extremely sorry that you were disturbed by your noisy neighbors, and we are currently looking into noise buffering options including door sweepers that should eliminate the hallway noise from people passing by. I appreciate all of your feedback and hope you can return to Asheville again soon. Thanks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Flagstaff, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with a conference. I guess they booked it because it was cheap. In order to locate the property, you have to drive through the parking lot of a depressing strip mall. I drove around for 20 minutes just trying to find it, after driving in from the airport 15 miles to the south. Parking is ample and free once you do get here.

The rooms are basic, with those low wall HVAC units that make a ton of noise while they blow hot or cold air. The bathroom is small and dated (they do have make-up mirrors, though!) and the door just about hits the toilet so there's no room to maneuver. The carpet is stained but appears clean.

The flat screen TV was fuzzy so I didn't watch anything after trying it out on a few channels. My ground floor room had a sliding glass door to the small patio outside (no view other than a wall 25 feet away) and it did not secure very well - no bar to keep it closed either. I'd ask for an upper floor (I couldn't move since they were sold out for the conference) if you stay here. The conference rooms are small and typical. There is some construction going on in main hallways.

The staff have been very pleasant and competent, however, and are the big reason I'm giving this property an average rating. Otherwise, it would be lower. With regard to location to area attractions, the hotel is about 15-20 minutes away from the Biltmore, and the Blue Ridge Parkway is also nearby. Asheville seems like a great town. But would I stay here again? Not unless I had to.

Room Tip: Second floor, away from double doors between hotel sections (to avoid noise)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
I really appreciate your feedback both positive and negative and always enjoy hearing good things about our amazing staff. Many issues such as the sliding glass doors, and HVAC noise are problems that we are working to resolve, and we could have fixed your TV or door lock problem with a simple call to the Front Desk. Also, in the future if you are having trouble finding our resort the front desk is more than happy to direct you to the hotel. There is more than one entrance and sometimes the use of a GPS system can be more trouble than its worth. I encourgage you to give us another try in the future and explore some of our other offerings such as the 8,000 square foot fitness complex or our on-property zipline tour. Thank you again for your comments.
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Good location. Very nice hotel with golf and tennis resort.. Great check in person. Had breakfast buffet was better than a lot of hotels I have visited.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your brief but positive feedback. I am so glad that you were impressed with our front desk agents as well as our breakfast buffet! Hope to see you again.
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was a little worried after reading some of the previous reviews, so I called the hotel and spoke with Lori Hollifield, the Guest Services Manager. I voiced my concerns and asked if she could place me and my family in a quiet room during our stay. She was very helpful and happy to help us out. We were put in a room at the end of the hall facing out towards the pool. All of the rooms have balconies, and I would suggest requesting a room facing towards the pool rather than towards the parking lot if you like a quiet room. Our room was spacious and had two queen beds, a desk and chair, tv, dresser and a counter with a refrigerator under it. They do have a limited amount of microwaves available upon request, so if you want one I would request it when you book. The bathroom is a nice size, and there is a mirror and outlets outside of the bathroom so more than one person can get ready in the morning at the same time (nice for a family with teenagers). I thought the bedding looked nice and was very comfy, but was told that they're going to be putting brand new high quality linens and bed sets in every room - something to look forward to next visit. They provide a breakfast buffet on the weekends with an omelet/waffle station, hot sides, cereal, fruit, breads/pastries, juice, coffee, etc for $10.95/per person. They also have a bar & grill on site and serve dinner in the evenings in the dining area. A shuttle service is available to take you downtown for a small fee. If you prefer to drive yourself, it's a 5 minute commute into town to amazing restaurants and shops. Guests have access to the racquet/tennis club on the resort property. The gym is amazing and not your average hotel gym - it's a full-sized facility with really nice equipment. The pool is available until 8 pm to swim laps or let the kids have some fun. All in all I was very pleased with our stay. I didn't give it 5 star because of one thing: there was space around our door into the hallway, which may have led to some hallway noise had the hotel been at full capacity. I overlooked this because 1) it wasn't an issue during our stay and 2) I know it's on their list of improvements and will be addressed soon. Bottom liine: It's clean, convenient, a great value and I was very pleased with the customer service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing toward the pool are quietest. Call Lori Hollifield if you have any concerns or special...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments and providing such a great overview of many of the things we have to offer here at the Crowne Plaza. You have highlighted many of our strong points and also clarified a few things that we are in the process of working on as we continue our enhancements. We look forward to a return visit from you in future, and let us know in advance if we can do anything to make your stay more enjoyable.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I'm currently staying here as I write this. I didn't sleep at all due to the noises of moths and other various bugs flitting around. Finally fell asleep a little while ago and was rudely awakened by housekeeping! They barged in my door without knocking! When she saw me , of course she apologized but by then it was a little late. I'm frustrated and disgusted.

• Stayed March 2012
LoriHol, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Despite all the constructive criticism, I am very glad you had such a great breakfast experience with our omelet attendant, and hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Thank you for your comments. Lori Hollifield Manager On Duty
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Course is pathetic,still. Played here two years ago and couldn't believe the condition of the fairways. Spotty,dead patches everywhere. And the greens were just as bad. Nothing has changed.I asked a maintenance man who was mowing at the time when was the last time the course was over-seeded. He told me they don't over-seed because the owner of the hotel is to cheap to pay for it. There seems to be a lot at this hotel that is done on the cheap.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
I am very sorry that you were so displeased with the condition of our golf course during you previous visits. I'm not sure what time of the year you played the course two years ago, but playing golf during the late winter is a bit of a gamble anywhere in the Asheville area due to the thawing and freezing of the course. Within the last week or so since your review was posted, temperatures in the 70's and a nice round of spring rain has really brought the course to life and it is actually in good shape compared to other local courses I have played. For $18 (9 holes and cart) on the weekdays or $20 on the weekends, I doubt you can find a better bargain course anywhere in the area. Our owner has made so many amazing enhancements to the property since transitioning from a Holiday Inn Sunspree to a Crowne Plaza Resort, and we are actively investigating who made such an outrageous comment to one of our guests. Thank you for your feedback.
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My husband and I was very happy with our stay here. Pricing was very comparable for allowing our dog to stay. Room was very clean and up-to-date. We were literally only five minutes from downtown Asheville. They seem to be doing some renoviations in the hallways (which is needed).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville? Share your experiences!