“Awesome "mom getaway"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crooked Oak Mountain Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Crooked Oak Mountain Inn
Ranked #4 of 41 Asheville B&B and Inns
Monroe, North Carolina
“Awesome "mom getaway"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Recently I had a number of family issues come up that I wound up exhausted after they were over. My husband insisted I get away for a "mom vacation" for a couple of days and recharge my batteries. I was searching for a place that would be relaxing, calming and not around the normal hustle and bustle. I knew I wanted a bed and breakfast and not a traditional hotel. I'm a Biltmore season passholder and had yet to see the estate done up for the holidays in all my years in NC so I thought it would be a great place to go.

I had researched a number of bed of breakfasts in the Asheville area and consulted Trip Advisor on the ones I was interested in. Normally I'm drawn to the victorian style B&B's but I was mostly looking for something that would be relaxing more than anything. This B&B's reviews were consistently awesome and when I saw the room photos and the vistas out the large windows in the rooms I knew this would achieve my relaxation requirement.

Patti and Bear could not be more accommodating. It was like visiting relatives as the house was open to the guests with the living areas, fireplaces and mini library feeling like a home away from home. Bear's yeast waffles were to die for!!! I can still taste them (ask for the recipe to take home with you). If there were restaurants you needed to get to they were happy to provide directions. If you needed to get directions to your next destination elsewhere they were happy to print driving directions for you. Being by myself, an unusual thing in itself, Patti and Bear made sure I had everything I needed to get the full enjoyment and relaxation I sought.

I stayed in the Dogwood room which is on the main floor. It's decor of blues and whites was very soothing and the huge window at the foot of the bed was an added bonus. The bed and pillows was like sleeping on a cloud and not having to share it with anyone was the cherry on top. :) Unfortunately I didn't have the best weather while I was there until the last day when it was clear and sunny. Watching the sun come up while being in a cozy bed was just what I was looking for. I read books and watched some chick-flicks near a fire. At the end of my stay I truly felt relaxed and recharged. Lovely hosts, interesting guests, a great place and view and awesome food. I couldn't have asked for more.

Whether staying by yourself, as a couple or even with some kids don't miss this gem of a B&B. Close to downtown Asheville and just minutes from Biltmore you can't go wrong. It is a little way up a steep road but it's well worth the journey. Thanks Patti and Bear for a great time. I'll be sure to be back......soon!!

Stayed December 16-17, 2012

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I found all the positive comments of other reviewers to be true: attention to detail, delicious gourmet food, warm and genuine kindness expressed through skilled hospitality - all this wrapped in a place I found more comfortable than my own home. I'm looking forward to finding an excuse to visit again, but for a longer time!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
South Hill, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I often stay at B&Bs for weekend getaways and we've been fortunate to visit some very nice ones. Without question, the Crooked Oak Mountain Inn is the best of the best. Patti and Bear are very gracious and accomodating hosts. When our travel plans changed unexpectedly they were very flexible in working with us to ensure our stay was enjoyable. Their recommendations for things to do and places to dine were excellent. Their beautiful inn is conveniently located to everything yet far enough away from the city bustle to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the mountains. The rooms are very comfortable and spotless. And Bear's breakfasts are delicious - be sure to indulge in the pecan Belgian waffle. We look forward to a return trip soon!

Dayton, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Bear and Patti are fantastic hosts. Their breakfasts are outstanding and their advice on local attractions is right on target. They even made reservations a the restaurant for us. You can't go wrong with this beautiful location and these wonderful people.

Sun City Center, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Crooked Oak Mountain Inn for two nights this past December (2012). Without question, it was the best B & B we have ever visited. The B & B itself was very clean and tidey and our room and bathroom were immaculate. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well as there was absolutely no noise at all. Both Patti and Bear were very cordial hosts and the breakfast was outstanding (lots of food and they actually gave you a choice of your main dish cooked to order - we did not need to eat lunch because their breakfast kept us going until dinner time). We will definitely stay there again if we ever visit the Ashville area in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I travel often and we typically stay at B&B's. This was our second trip to Asheville but our first time staying at Crooked Oak Mountain Inn.
Crooked Oak Mountain Inn definitely exceeded our expectations. The location was perfect. It's close to downtown but far enough away to fulfill that desire to disconnect.
Bear and Patti were so knowledgeable about places to see, things to do and where to eat. We are foodies and Bear recommended some fabulous restaurants which were right on target. His recommendations were far better than using OpenTable or Yelp! The only critique we have is that their website doesn't do them justice - the actual location and experience was far better than we expected. This could be a good thing, however, as it could remain a hidden gem. :)
We hated leaving and we definitely will stay there on our next trip to Asheville!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We immediately felt at home and found Patti and Bear to be the perfect innkeepers; always ready for dinner suggestions (listen to Bear's recommendations!) and to share what you don't want to miss seeing in the area. We finished up a conference at Grove Park Inn and were warmly welcomed and found it a refreshing way to end our trip to Asheville. Convenient location to access the Parkway and downtown. We had an early flight out but that didn't stop Patti and Bear from having a fabulous breakfast for us that we talked about on the flight home - if you have a chance to have Patti's lunch basket ... take it! Breathtaking views and fabulous food - nothing better than Crooked Oak Mountain Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crooked Oak Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!