“Fair, but I wouldn't stay in here again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of A Bed of Roses B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
A Bed of Roses B & B
You added A Bed of Roses B & B to your Saves list
135 Cumberland Ave., Asheville, NC 28801 (Historic Montford)   |
Ranked #17 of 40 Asheville B&B and Inns
Durham, North Carolina
“Fair, but I wouldn't stay in here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed in A Bed of Roses B&B around Christmas time with $150+ payment. It has great outlook and inside display but, overall, my stay for one night was not quite as I expected. Here I note a number of caveats.

First, I found several stink bugs in the room. B&Bs are usually old Victorian houses, so I am not sure if this is a common situation that visitors face. But, seriously, the time was in the middle of winter! I think it is reasonable to anticipate there will be more bugs in other seasons.

Second, hot water in the Whirlpool tub was not consistent. The Whirlpool bathtub inside the room was one of the attractions that made me choose this B&B. Yet it didn't really work properly.

Third, the heating system was not good enough. This B&B uses a kind of radiator that displays a beautiful fireplace when working, but I spent a cold night because that radiator didn't warm the room much as it looked.

Forth, the breakfast was so-so. This evaluation might reflect my personal preferences too much. However, after having the breakfast, I had a strong feeling that it was definitely not worthy of 150+ dollars.

Good stuff: The staffs are extremely kind. The house has a long history & wonderful atmosphere. That's why I rate it as "poor" not "terrible." But the caveats I describe above were crucial, by all of which I wouldn't strongly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: Avoid the room on the first floor. Bugs are likely to appear.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses B & B, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
We regret that you were disappointed in your stay at A Bed of Roses. I'm sorry you chose not to share your problems with the room with us so we could have tried to help while you were here. Asheville has indeed been inundated with Stink Bugs this year, and I'm afraid that the cold weather drives them indoors, but we make every effort to eradicate them as soon as they appear. This is the first we've heard of them being spotted in the Carolyn Gray Room. This is also the first report we've had of poor water temperature in the whirlpool. We have two very large water heaters that can usually handle the extreme load of a B&B with 4 jacuzzis, 5 showers and a sanitizing dish washer. The Carolyn Gray room is heated by the central heating in the house. The cast iron electric heater is there for additional heat as well as ambiance. It is not meant as the sole heat in the room and is not usually needed as such. Again, we are sorry that you were uncomfortable and had we known we may have been able to help alleviate your discomfort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Nags Head, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I really enjoyed this bed and breakfast. It was beautiful and the innkeepers were so helpful and friendly. The breakfasts in the morning were delicious. The inn was close to downtown which we loved. Very quaint and relaxing. Would definitely recommend this inn.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to add your review. We're glad you enjoyed A Bed of Roses. We love the location too! It's so convenient to everything. We hope you come back to visit us again soon!
Fairport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We don't normally stay at B & B's but we may change our mind after this stay. What a fantastic place and such a nice couple. Breakfast was a gourmet feast every morning. Location is also as good as it gets for Asheville. Walk down a street of beautiful Victorian homes and you are in the heart of the downtown district without having to pay to park. Parking is easy and free in front of the B&B. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses B & B, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thanks for the lovely review! We love to convert people to the B&B experience!
Hope to see you back soon.
Burlington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

A Bed of Roses B&B was my first B&B ever and it was a great and wonderful first experience. I will definitely be coming back and I recommend that everyone stay there. Bill and Emily are super sweet and nice people they keep the B&B spotless and cook an amazing breakfast. My boyfriend proposed to me that weekend at The Biltmore Estate. They helped in making it such a memorable engagement!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Congratulations again! It was a lot of fun helping set the stage for your boyfriend's proposal. It definitely made our day!
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

When selecting a BnB, I am always looking for quality at a decent price as $200+ for a night is tough for my wife and I. This place is great. I got a great rate and an awesome sleep. The people that own/operate the house are fantastically sweet. The breakfast was to die for with a gourmet pastry, homemade everything. Location within walking distance to the best parts of Asheville and the house was very quaint, quiet and perfect for a quick getaway in the mountains. Thank you for great memories!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

It was a wonderful experience from when we walked in. A very warm reception and just what we need for the beginning of our honeymoon. I did not realize how nice the house was going to be and did not realize how convenient it was to get to the heart of downtown. The breakfast was amazing that Bill and Emily put together, I would call it Country Gormet. My wife and I would definitely go back and highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great place to stay during their time in Asheville! It was my first stay at a B&B and was definitely amazed with our first impression of one.

Bobby and Melissa Humburg - Orlando, FL

Room Tip: Any Room from what I saw, such a great house!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I (early 30's) stayed for two nights in the Oliver Davis Room. It is the smallest of the rooms, but plenty spacious for our needs. It had all the amenities you could imagine, and the bathroom especially with the whirlpool tub was wonderful! We were amazed to find that the price of this room, which includes the delicious breakfast, was more affordable than most of the local hotels. The recommendation to have smaller suitcases in this room is spot on; the private stair case is adorable but very narrow.

Breakfast was always delicious, gourmet, and beautiful! We are big eaters, so I would disagree with many reviewers who have said that you won't need lunch. However, the portions were plenty satisfying for breakfast, and we actually prefer to have room for lunch because trying new restaurants is one of our favorite things when we travel!

One of our favorite things about a Bed of Roses was the wonderful front porch! After coming back from dinner and seeing music on the town, we sipped wine and ate cookies baked by Emily in the mild evening air, joined by the neighbor's cat (cats? are there two that look nearly the same?). On our second evening we came home directly after dinner and spent time relaxing on the porch with some books. Lovely!

The location is very convenient to downtown. We came without a car and found we had no trouble seeing the local sites by foot. (We didn't have time to see the Biltmore, anyways, but would have needed a car to get there.) There was plenty to entertain us downtown and in the local neighborhood (the historic Riverside cemetery is lovely) that we didn't miss having wheels. We did rent a car on our day of departure to drive to our next location via the Blue Ridge Parkway for some hiking, and the Budget rental location is close enough that we utilized their free pick up service. Emily and Bill were also wonderfully accommodating, and when we were arriving hours before typical check in they graciously agreed that we could drop off our luggage first so we could explore unencumbered. As it turns out our room happened to be empty the night before and we were actually able to check in right when we arrived.

Wonderful location, beautiful room, and the price is right! We'd definitely stay at the Bed of Roses again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to A Bed of Roses B & B? Share your experiences!