“Wonderful stay in Asheville!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Bed of Roses B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
A Bed of Roses B & B
You added A Bed of Roses B & B to your Saves list
135 Cumberland Ave., Asheville, NC 28801 (Historic Montford)   |
Ranked #17 of 41 Asheville B&B and Inns
Dalton, Georgia
“Wonderful stay in Asheville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We only stayed in Asheville for three days and two nights, but we had the most wonderful stay at A Bed of Roses B&B! We stayed in the Oliver Davis room upstairs which was perfect for my husband and me! I loved the privacy and amenities of the room. The bed was soooo comfortable, and I loved all the homespun touches and amenities. I took advantage each night of the clock/radio sound machine and slept to the relaxing sound of the rain. The bathroom in this room is so unique, and the whirlpool tub is fantastic and big enough for two! Each morning we had fabulous breakfsts that kept us full until dinner each night! Here is a testament to just how good the breakfast is: I usually do not like peaches. However, our second morning, the fruit course was a baked peach. I tried it, and it was one of the most fantastic things I had ever had! I ate the whole peach! We also absolutely loved the two cats. The actually greeted us at the door when we arrived, and they are both so sweet and let us pet them to our hearts' content. For adventure/nature lovers: We did the Navitat zipline/canopy day tour, and it was fantastic. So worth it with great fun and personal attention. We cannot wait to go back to Navitat to do the night time tour. If you are going to Asheville, I very much recommend staying at A Bed of Roses B&B. Very homey and welcoming, as well as being extremly clean and beautiful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed in A Bed of Roses B&D December 2011. It was a few days after Christmas and we were pleased that all of the decorations were still up. I had heard how charming Asheville was at Christmastime so I was happy we hadn’t missed the beautiful sights.

Room:
We booked fairly last minute, but the Carolyn Grey room was available. Our rate at the time was $155 before tax. Not bad for an Asheville B&B based on my research. And, the room had a large oversized Jacuzzi tub as well as a separate bathroom with pedestal sink and shower. The room was decorated with dark hunter green walls and floral patterns on the bed, chairs, and window upholstery. I typically decorate in modern styles, but found the room to be quite tasteful and elegant anyway. It was really beautiful, spacious for two people, and romantic. There was a fresh flower on the Jacuzzi edge when we arrived. Nice touch. There was also prepackaged A Bed of Roses tangerine soap available in the bathroom, another very nice touch that is above and beyond. Also, the portable fire place gadget thingy wasn't putting out any heat and there was no central heat. She had brought in this little heater thingy to keep us warm. It wasn't very sophisticated as it was either too hot or too cold in the room, but it was bearable and didn't take away from our comfort in any big way. Not a big deal. The only downside to the room was there was no iron (more about that below).

House:
The home and gardens are absolutely gorgeous. I love older homes and their charm so I was not disappointed by this one.

The owners had tea, cookies, and water available at all times for everyone. Also, there was fridge for keeping cold beverages (we stashed some wine and champagne there) as well as sodas that were available for $1. There was even lemonade there for free.

The owners helped us find a restaurant for the evening. They have a large binder available where they’ve collected menus and price points for a variety of restaurants downtown. We chose a formal-ish Indian restaurant named Mela, I think. It was superb!! Yuum. The binder and there recommendations were very helpful.

In warmer months, I can imagine that sitting on the porch looking at the gardens would be a very nice pastime. For our stay however, it was way too cold.

Negatives:
The only negative I can say was one small thing that happened the morning we were set to depart. We had only booked for one night, and it was a little bit of a whirlwind decision. We live in Knoxville TN, only 1 ½ hours away so we just decided to come on a whim since we had a babysitter. We packed without ironing our next day clothes, and in fact, they were so wrinkled we couldn’t get away with wearing them. Carolyn Grey is on the ground floor, right behind the kitchen, in a small alcove near the back. That morning, before breakfast, I realized there was no iron, so I stepped out the door and asked the owner if she had an iron that we could use. The reaction I got was disconcerting and a little annoying. She gave a big huff and said “Do you really need it now?” I was taken aback because I couldn’t grasp what I’d done wrong. I apologized in my nicest tone and said yes, and then explained that our clothes were so very wrinkled. She went on to say how she and her husband were in the middle of getting breakfast together, but oh all right, as though I was a big imposition. I didn’t want to be a burden so I offered to get it myself if she could tell me where it was. She then calmed down a little and said that she had to get it. I then learned that the ironing board was a large board that couldn’t be set up in the room. I had to iron our clothes in the hallway between the kitchen and the bedroom (where the dining room also connects). I felt like an intruder! If I had known any of this, I would have avoided it at all costs; ironing the night before or whatever, just to avoid this conflict. I wasn’t very happy with being treated as though I was causing trouble. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect your guests to need an iron. My only advice is for them to invest in a small iron and board set for each room if they don’t want to be bothered at times they consider inopportune. Also, let me clarify. The owner wasn’t mean to me, just a tad impolite and impatient. It left a little sour taste in my mouth for a moment, but I got over it. I definitely thought it was something worth mentioning to all of you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses B & B, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at A Bed of Roses.
As far as the ironing "hiccup" I must apologize if I seemed annoyed. Cooking a gourmet breakfast for a full house, as we were doing that day, can be stressful, especially right before serving. Everything needs to be watched very carefully or everyone's breakfast is ruined! I'm afraid it was just very bad timing. However there is never an excuse for being rude to a guest and I sincerely apologize if I appeared so. Unfortunately, due the the fire hazard, we cannot have irons in the rooms.
As far as the heating issue is concerned, we do have central heat and as soon as we realized that there was a problem in your room we had the heating and cooling repair person come to take care of it. In addition, we replaced the cast iron electric stove/heater with a new more efficient one to supplement the heat in that room. Unfortunately, it takes a guest having a problem for us to discover it and take care of the problem for the next guest. I'm sorry you had to be that guest and I hope you will come visit us again. We take your feedback very seriously.
Thank you.
Emily & Bill McIntosh
Springfield, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in the Turret Suite. It was a lovely room at the front of the house with a separate sitting room with a fireplace and a small balcony. The jacuzzi is huge. The hosts were very helpful and it was great having a couple of cats around so we didn't miss our own cats. The walk to town isn't bad although the last part is uphill so going to dinner at the end of the day was a little tiring. The breakfasts were good. We were afraid they would be too "gourmet" for our tastes but we were both happy. The only quibble is that breakfast is served only at 9 a.m. which is later than we usually start our day when on vacation. We filled the time by taking walks around the neighborhood.

Room Tip: From what we saw the Turret Suite is the best room in the inn.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed at Bed of Roses in early May. Bill and Emily are Wonderful hosts. We had the best room, the Turret room which had a jacuzzi tub, waterfall shower which were great, although it is a big step up to get in. However, unless you really want a jacuzzi and plan to spend a lot of time in the room, you can do very well in any of the other rooms.

Bill and Emily put on a terrific breakfast, almost too fancy for me. They are perfect hosts, very friendly.

One reviewer complained about hearing other guests, but we didn't and all the rooms were filled. Another person remarked, positively, that the 9:00 am breakfast was great because you got to meet all the others guests. I agree. We met some very nice, and diverse people, which we wouldn't have if everyone came down separately.

Walking to town can be a hike, and it's uphill getting there. Regardless the location works. It's a nice residential neighborhood, lots of schoolkids. Good to jog or walk.

Downtown Asheville is a neat place. Lots of restaurants, three or four specialty chocolate shops. Entertainment is several places, including on the street. Pack's is a great bar with terrific service and beer selections. If you want to buy beer go to Bruisin Ale. Absolutely the best beer shop I've ever seen, and I've seen lots.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Wow! We absolutely loved our stay at Bed of Roses. The neighborhood was beautiful to walk around and an easy walk to downtown (10 minutes or so). Bill and Emily were like staying with family, so friendly and welcoming. We were offered a room upgrade, since the young lady in our original room chose to stay in the smaller room upstairs. The room was gorgeous and comfortable. The bed, truly heaven. The breakfast and the company at breakfast were wonderful! We had to leave early for a balloon ride (one that never happened because of the shady balloon company... I do not recommend RO Frank aviation), but Bill made us muffins very early in the morning before we left. We will definitely be back to Bed of Roses soon and we highly recommend the B & B!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses B & B, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We're so sorry you had a bad experience with the Balloon Ride company. We would really appreciate it if you would email us with the details so we can look into it. We definitely want to be sure we're not recommending anyone to a less than reputable company. We want to make sure visitors to Asheville have nothing but great experiences here!
Bill & Emily
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights in A Bed of Roses for our first anniversary at Christmas time. It is charmingly decorated both indoors and out. The host and hostess paid careful attention to details in our rooms and were very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed their two friendly cats who roamed around the house. The breakfasts and afternoon treats were upscale and delicious. We hope to come here again sometime! A plus was the close location to downtown, Biltmore, and Grove Park Inn.

Room Tip: Loved the turret room with adjoining sitting room on the upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I had a business meeting on a Monday and decided to travel out to Asheville on Saturday for some "me" time. I could not have picked a better place. Bill and Emily were so warm and welcoming; the house is beautiful and my bed was amazingly comfortable. (I normally have trouble sleeping in any bed but my own.)

The clawfoot soaking tub in my private adjoining bathroom was the perfect place for relaxing and reading... the fireplace in my room made for such a cozy atmosphere.

The breakfasts were fabulous... healthy, beautiful, and so delicious. I've told all my friends in Durham about A Bed of Roses and I don't imagine I'll be staying anywhere else on my next visit to Asheville. I love how close it is to the great restaurants and cool part of the city.

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone, one of the smaller rooms would be perfect. I stayed in the Wilkinson Ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses B & B, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We hope to see you here at A Bed of Roses again soon.

Been to A Bed of Roses B & B? Share your experiences!