“A super-popular local eatery” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Corner Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 644 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: All Soul's Crescent
Seneca, South Carolina
“A super-popular local eatery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This small local restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and supper to a crowd of patrons every day. Be prepared to wait if you don't have reservations, but the food is worth waiting for. We enjoyed a wonderful brunch and would have returned for breakfast, but we over-slept and missed the closing time (they shut down from around 1100 til 11:30am to get ready for lunch). Next time we will know better. Great food, cheerful service and convenient location. Always crowded.

Visited January 2014

Ridgecrest, California
“Delicious and Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

As I flew into Asheville on a puddle jumper from Charlotte, I made "friends" with my seatmate as a way to try to help encourage her (due to visible terror at the idea of flying). I learned she was a local and asked what I should do while I was in town. After a few minutes, I then asked what she would suggest for dinner—after all, who would know better than a local? She immediately said, “Eat at the Corner Kitchen.” And began giving me directions. I learned about all the great stores down by it and told me how they’d renovated a bunch of old houses—this restaurant included—into businesses. Then she gave me what I think she meant to be the deciding factor. “It’s where President Obama took Michele for their anniversary.”
I think it was supposed to be proof that her recommendation was valid. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I didn’t care WHO ate there—even if it had been MY favorite president—I just wanted good food.
So I went. Now that Corner Kitchen restaurant is AMAZING. Not just because it has good food—it’s amazing—the best I had the entire trip. Let’s talk appetizer for a minute. This place gets what an appetizer is—something to whet, not KILL the appetite. My incredible (and I think he should get a raise) server brought me this appetizer. It was on a crispy sort of bread about the shape and size of a triangular tortilla chip. On it, tiny thin strips of beef, fresh tomatoes, cheese, and I can’t remember what had been piled. I ate it in three bites. Someone with a bigger mouth could have handled it in one or two.
I also loved that at this place served me my Coke cold in a can with a glass of ice and a straw. IN A CAN. Oh man that made me happy. My food came and I was a bit nervous. You see, I’d ordered “Cajun Spiced steak.” And it’s been my experience that a lot of people think Cajun is synonymous with “five-alarm chili.” The server guy assured me that theirs was “authentic” Cajun spices that were earthy, not just “hot.” The meat was utterly delicious. Amazing perfect steak, the atmosphere delightful, and I even got great ideas for new books while “people watching.”
The next day I went shopping and in one of the stores, when I was done, I asked the saleswoman where she recommended I go for lunch. She said, without a second of hesitation, “The Corner Kitchen.” I asked if she would still say that if she knew I went there the night before. She insisted she would. “The menus are completely different. You’ve got to try it.” So I did. Since then, I’ve had people tell me that they think the lunch menu is BETTER than the dinner. I almost agree. I sat at the bar so I wouldn’t have to wait 40 minutes. And I ate more steak, cooked totally different but it was thin sliced and amazing. But with that steak with an arugula salad, some candied pecans, bleu cheese, and tomatoes that must have been picked that morning. The dressing—amazing. I don’t remember if there was anything. This salad—if I ever go back, I’m getting one to go. So I can have it again later. It was that good.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Oh, that hash!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The house-made corned beef hash at the Corner Kitchen is wonderful! This cafe is in one of the Arts & Crafts cottages in Biltmore Village. The interior is warm and welcoming as is the staff. It is very popular and there can be a wait but well worth it. Give it a visit--you won't be sorry.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aiken, South Carolina
“Busy place and rightfully so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I had New Years eve dinner here. Started with a cheese tray and beggars purse in a lobster bisque. The cheese was excellent and in fact, we ordered another when dessert time came around. The entree's were an elk osso bucco served over spaghetti squash and sided with grilled brussel sprouts and a polenta cake; mine was filet of beef wellington style served over asparagus. We chose a Spanish rioja for the wine.
My wife said the elk was done perfectly and the sauce with it was excellent, the polenta was, well, polenta-not much to say about it. The only down side was the sprouts which she said were not grilled near enough as almost half were raw. My dish was very tender but the beef which in a wellington should be med-rare was well done. The asparagus was crisp tender. Total including tip was about $180. We would try the restaurant again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great breakfast experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Superior food. Fresh. Beautiful. Omelets were loaded with the best tasting mushrooms ever! Hubby loved this place. I did too. We visited 3 times for breakfast while in Asheville. It's that good!

• Visited October 2013