“Dramatic and Great Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Dramatic and Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Located in the remains of an industrial building, Ben's ambiance is terrific. Without a roof for most of the establishment, the architects have outdone themselves in creating a very hip, congenial setting. It is very popular and you will run into a line waiting to get in but it is worth the wait.

Our group of four ordered many small plates which were delicious. We got exactly what the description said we would so there were no surprises. Drinks on the other hand were just average. Service was good, we ate inside due to sprinkles. Yes, I would go back again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Asheville, North Carolina
“Atmosphere was absolutely perfect; food was bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

It's hard to know how to rate a place that is so unique, fun, laid-back and just all around awesome for it's atmosphere of a courtyard in an old car repair shop. So quintessentially Asheville, I'll take all out of town guests there just for the experience. HOWEVER, the food was surprisingly bad. I'm a vegetarian, and there was no indication that the options I was picking from were in fact small plates/tapas. First, I ordered a salad. It was fair. Tasted no different than if I were to take a bag of arugula and a store-bought salad dressing. I ordered the tempe and it had a very funny taste; even the rice seemed sort of stale. So I ordered the tofu. The tofu tasted like the chef had chopped up pieces of tofu, crusted it with breadcrumbs and dropped it in the deep frier. Nothing special. Nothing even really good about it. I left feeling unsatisfied with the food, but compelled to come back in the hopes that the chefs will TUNE-IN to the messages on this page and realize that their menu (the look of it, the offerings, and the final product) needs a lot of work. I'd love for the food to be a smart as the atmosphere and vibe. It doesn't add up, and if it did, this place would be killer.

• Visited July 2013