“Sooo glad we got to eat here !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfel's

Mayfel's
22 College St, Asheville, NC 28801-2803 (Downtown Asheville)
828-252-8840
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #98 of 644 Restaurants in Asheville
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
South Florida, Florida
“Sooo glad we got to eat here !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were one of the Tupelo Honey overflow and boy we were glad we tried. Our wait wasn't long at all, and we were half way through our lunch when Tupelo texted that our table was ready, One of our guest tried the Bloody Mary bar and were thrilled, the rest had mimosas..
Everything we had was delicious, we were all happy that we ended up at Mayfel's and would definitely recommend and go back !!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Archdale, North Carolina
“Sad Excuse for a restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The ONLY reason this place is in business is from the overflow that comes from Tupelo Honey's. We were there on a Sunday, trying to get a bite to eat on our way out of town. We were told the wait would be 10 minutes, which turned into 30. Not a great start, but still hopeful at this point. Hopeful that once we were seated that it would be a different story. Unfortunately, this was not the case. We were seated and not even acknowledged for over 25 minutes. Finally, we stopped a waitress and asked if someone as going to wait on us. This is a restaurant, not a cafeteria! She said " I'm really busy and I'll be back". She came back and asked" What do you want to drink?'. No apologies, nothing. At this point were pretty upset and she clearly didn't care. We asked to speak to the manager. Our server then informed us that he was working in the kitchen to which we replied "that's nice, can you please get him, we would like to speak with him". Our server returned and said "sorry, but he said he was too busy to come out". With that statement and treatment, we left. We even called the restaurant after returning home to speak with the owner, who never could take our call. So, it is without a doubt that the owner, managers, and staff do not care! This was in our top 3 of worst experiences EVER! I would give this place a 0 if I could. Go have breakfast at the Corner Kitchen, it is wonderful and the Cecil family eats there.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“charm and yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

we couldn't wait at tupelos because I was stomach growling starved. I saw several tables clear out of mayfels so quickly popped next door and pt our name in. we were told 30 minutes but had a table in 15. the hostess was the sweetest. it was a really busy day in town, I could easily tell it had been nonstop for some time, she was apologizing and yet cheerful to all. I gave her our signature tootsie pop and told her she was the most graceful hostess we have seen in a very long time; thought she was going to cry, very touching. The smokey the trout appetizer was really big and soooooooooooooo yummy. We also ordered an oyster po boy so that would duplicate the bread. I quickly put the trout and bread away for tomorrow's lunch but not before we tried some. WOW. really smoky and u can tell it's trout. delicate yet strong. LOVED it. I always carry zip locks so I packed the spread between bread and then put the rest of the bread in another ziploc. discreet w/o a big to go box. what a GREAT taste the next day-great for a solid nosh. The oyster po boy was also quite yummy, and the sweet potato fries were faboo.

Visited August 2013
East TN
“Great downtown breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Staying downtown and walking to lunch or dinner is no problem, breakfast can be a bit of a challenge. Of the three places we found open, Mayfel's had the shortest wait. It is upbeat, with a variety of breakfast choices. I opted for eggs, yellow grits and their Vegetarian sausage patties. I know, why vegetable sausage? Try it before you judge. They appeared to be hand patted and were very good. Another party at our table opted for the mammoth biscuit and gravy, it looked awesome and I didn't here any complaints.
Seating is available outside on a nice patio. The night before, we saw a good crowd enjoying drinks and music on the back patio.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“So-so breakfast, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a notoriously busy restaurant. We sat on the patio with our dog, and it was a pleasant, shaded place to watch Asheville pass by as we ate. The food came out pretty quickly, especially considering how busy they were. My husband ate the Southwestern scrambler. He said the black bean cakes were really good, but they oversold the cilantro-lime sour cream as it seemed to be just a dollop of plain sour cream. I had the French toast special with blackberries, expecting enough compote to at least touch the four thick pieces of toast. However, the compote had maybe five or six small blackberries and a dripping of sauce. I asked for butter because the toast was really dry. My husband agreed. It came with a bacon that tasted like fried batter. It wasn't a bad taste -- my husband thought it was really good -- but it just didn't taste like bacon.

Overall the food was adequate. Despite the dryness, my French toast tasted alright. I would not, however, wait an hour just for the food. The atmosphere outside is nice on a weekend afternoon with the street performers and the crowds passing by. Maybe that's enough to justify time waiting for a seat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere