“Don't bother stopping.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mayfel's

Mayfel's
22 College St, Asheville, NC 28801-2803 (Downtown Asheville)
828-252-8840
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
“Don't bother stopping.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place is Dirty had bad service and gross food. Don't recommend. Probably the worst place I have been. I didn't eat and the waitress didnt ask if everything was ok.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Asheville, North Carolina
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have visited this restaurant four times-three times for lunch and once for dinner. Each meal was "just okay". For the price, I expect more than this restaurant delivers.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Norton, Virginia
“didn't have to wait an hour to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

So like several other reviewers, hubby and I were originally headed to a top 15 ranked restaurant 3 doors down from Mayfel's. When we arrived and were told the wait would be 45 minutes (at 3:30pm mind you) we went looking for another option and found Mayfel's. We didn't have to wait to eat indoors (thank goodness). The service was slow (a common problem in Asheville we have found) but the food was plentiful and good and priced right. They serve breakfast until 4pm, which is really really nice. Hubby got a full breakfast (2 eggs that seemed like 4 eggs, home fries, bacon, biscuit and gravy) and I got a muffletta (3 italian meats, 2 cheeses, olive mixture on sourdough). Mayfel's is inspired by New Orleans Creole cooking. Everything on my husband's plate and my sandwich was well seasoned and tasty. The only disappointing thing about either of our meals was my french fries- they had no taste.

Price was fair for asheville (everything seems to be a bit more costly there). This is one of the few times that TA was a little off. I think this restaurant deserves a top 50 rating.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Authentic beignets and great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We'd eaten a really great breakfast at Tupelo Honey a few days before, one door down from Mayfel's. But after we found out the 1.5 hour wait at Tupelo Honey, we opted for Mayfel's and were so glad we did. It was only 20 minutes and we had a table outside with a wonderful server, Stephanie. Coffee was excellent (I am harsh critic) and we got a half-order of beignets for $3: four of them! My benedict dish was good, not the very best I've ever had but in the top 10%. Prices are very reasonable and the view is excellent--right across from the park that straddles College and Patton. We were really pleased with our experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kensington, Maryland
“Nothing great I'm afraid .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Although our server was pleasant and attentive and the food was brought out fairly quickly, I can't say that anything I ate (gumbo, salmon, blfgt ( fried green tomatoes on a blt) was too impressive except maybe the bread. We ate here because the place next door was full.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere