“Plenty of veg choices” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Heiwa Shokudo

Heiwa Shokudo
87 N Lexington Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-2822 (Downtown Asheville)
828-254-7761
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Asheville, NC
“Plenty of veg choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Innovative and well executed. Most important: delicious.

When I became a vegetarian, I thought I'd be bored by sushi from then on out, condemned to a lifetime of avocado rolls. Tasty but it eventually gets old. Luckily, a vegan friend recommended Heiwa Shokudo. I've tried (and loved) the vegetable tempura, seaweed salads, various rolls.

They do have a roll that I wasn't wild about, although it was exactly as described: tempeh with sweet potato and maple syrup, if I recall. It was just too weird for me. But maybe I just don't like sweet sushi.

Visited August 2012

Suburban Philadelphia
“Just 'OK', nothing out of the ordinary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I had some sushi here, along with miso soup, and gyoza, and found it to be about what we've come to expect of small, unpretentious Japanese restaurants--good, but not spectacular. As another diner complained, the chopsticks were not the throw-away kind, but seemed to be reusable and, thus, of questionable sanitation. The rolls were tasty but loosely wrapped, so that my wife had trouble eating hers with chopsticks since the rolls kept falling apart. The restaurant itself is on the dark and dingy side (it is Asheville, or so I'm told), and the servers are well-tattoed (again, it is Asheville). I've had better sushi elsewhere, but this was OK. Asheville diners rated it second in the city among sushi restaurants, so maybe they know something I don't about Heiwa Shokudo.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe
“Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Unsanitary, re-used, worn wooden chopsticks should be enough to warn most health-conscious people away from this place! The place is a dingy dump with no atmosphere. The food is mediocre and the presentation is far from anything remotely Japanese. It may be cheaper, which is why some people go here but you get what you pay for and with all the better choices in Asheville, it's not worth it at ANY Price.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
asheville
“Watch out if you're gluten-free”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Unlike someone else who posted a review, my experience at Heiwa was marred by being told the soy sauce was gluten-free, but it wasn't! Fortunately, I asked at the very last minute after ordering and before my meal was prepared, if I could see the bottle of soy sauce to read the ingredients. I've had too many experiences at restaurants of being told an item is gluten-free when it is only wheat-free, because the management, chef and wait staff don't know the difference! I'm a celiac and can't risk a gluten exposure. Sure enough, I read the ingredients on the bottle, and the soy sauce that they claimed was gluten-free and were going to use in cooking my meal contained barley. Not only that, but when I pointed that out to the server and explained to him that barley contains gluten the same as wheat, he proceeded to argue with me that it was safe and that there was only "a little bit of gluten in it"! Informed celiacs know that it is not safe ... wheat, barley, rye, spelt, triticale all contain gluten that is toxic to celiacs. Even if celiacs don't FEEL a reaction, internal damage is still being done. I haven't been back, but I wonder if they're still using products containing barley and claiming that they're gluten-free. Be careful! Ask to see the ingredients with your own eyes. Your health and even your life can literally depend on it. I'm only rating Heiwa as "poor" instead of "terrible" because my dining companion, who is not a celiac, had what looked like a nice dish. I wound up with rubbery tasteless tofu, some mung bean sprouts and brown rice, no veggies which is what I asked for.

Visited October 2011
Asheville
“Vegan sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Heiwa is a great little spot, with nice staff, and a cute patio. Tempeh sushi that pushes the envelope -- always a plus.

Visited June 2012