“excellent sushi in north asheville” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #152 of 626 restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Japanese
Asheville, NC
“excellent sushi in north asheville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a small restaurant in Merrimon Square in north asheville. It has excellent sushi, good entrees and a nice atmosphere. There is outdoor seating available.

Visited July 2012

77% Recommend
“Satisfying japanese/asian food in a comfortable pleasant atmoshere.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Zen sushi was one of Asheville's first sushi spots, and its still probably the best. Its not downtown, so you are generally diming with locals. This is a mountain town, but sushi has always tasty and good. Spider roll is one of our family favorites, along with the Bento boxes, which are a good value and are plenty big enough to share.
Service can be slow sometimes, but this is Asheville, so its slow but friendly. We use for both takeout and dine in.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fairview, North Carolina
“simple, easy, fast and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I love Zen Sushi for the simple fact that I can meet friends and clients here for lunch with ample parking and a wonderful menu. I have a habit of sticking to things I like and honestly can share that I venture further into their roll menu than in other sushi joints.
They know me and have come to expect my moods (will order the old stand bus if gloomy or try something new if happy). I appreciate knowing staff in regular haunts.
The prices are still reasonable as in my mind too many sushi joints are getting uppity regarding pricing these days.

Visited May 2012
Atlanta, GA
“Japanese in North Asheville”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Our first visit to Zen Sushi was not a total success, but it might have been our own fault. I like Japanese cuisine but my wife is not convinced. However, she finally agreed to visit Zen Sushi after having passed it by for years. It is located on the top floor of a two-story strip center along with several other restaurants. First mistake: since the weather was nice, we decided to eat outside on a balcony. We finally decided that the chairs were too low for the tables, but we were already settled in. Second problem: traffic noise from adjacent Merrimon Avenue seems to travel upward so it noisier up there on the balcony. The remedy to problems one and two -- sit inside -- it looked nice. Third problem: I have grown to despise the oh-so-common "How are you guys?" "What would you guys like to drink?" repertoire of servers trying to be your friends. Both our servers were OK, but cut the "you guys" from every sentence! But I digress... The food (sushi and soba noodle soup) was pretty good but not as tasty as what I have experienced from comparable Japanese restaurants in Atlanta. Prices were reasonable.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee
“Loved it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Had lunch before going to Biltmore. Prices were very reasonable, and the food was delicious.

Visited April 2012