“Slap Your Mama Good!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 644 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Café, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Description: While we revere the time-honored traditions of the Southern cook, you will find our take on the Southern plate a little different. Because Tupelo Honey Cafe is a little different. Our transformation of just about everything Southern - from fried chicken to sweet potatoes to catfish - is decidedly spirited, independent, and frequently unscripted. Creativity rules in our kitchen where our larder is filled with scratch-made, inventive goodness. We ratchet up our flavors so they're on par with the farm-fresh produce we love. And we serve it all with a healthy measure of fun - with our heartfelt promise of delivering an experience worthy of the memories that tend to be made around our table.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Slap Your Mama Good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was on vacation in Asheville when a friend emailed me and told me that I had to go to Tupelo Honey Cafe. I trusted this friends recommendation but I never thought that it would be as great as it was. The food is slap your mama good!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Etowah, North Carolina
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

My family ate lunch on Saturday and the place was packed. I think we waited 1 hour for a table. The waiting area is very cramped and small. Once we were seated our waiter did a great job serving us immediately. I told him we needed to be out in 45 minutes to make a play. He brought the food and the check promptly and we made it. We all had the rainbow trout with asparagus and goat cheese grits. The food was excellent. I really liked the rolls and jam as well.
We like the asheville South location of this restaurant is well. I would recommend you try eating at this place.

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Just like the CookBook”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We received the Tupelo Honey Cafe's Cookbook as a gift a few years ago and have wanted to try the restaurant since receiving the book. For a Monday's late lunch we still needed to wait 30 minutes for a table. The Ashville weather was cool and dreary but there are lots of galleries & shops to explore while waiting; they use remote "buzzer" type devices to alert you that a table is ready.
The food, service and "through-back" Southern atmosphere was very charming. Everyone gets a "free" biscuit, honey & local preserves. The food portions are large and very tasteful. The very special sandwich dressings are unique to the Café. If in Ashville ... don't pass-up the Tupelo Honey Café. They will have a new cookbook publishing this Spring 2014. We'll be purchasing it too.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Durham, North Carolina
“Worth the Wait, Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We really enjoyed the Honey Tupelo cafe in Downtown Asheville. Yes, there was a wait, but you can walk around and visit the surrounding shops while you wait, and the person outside taking names for tables was very organized, pleasant and explained the process. Calling ahead may be best on busy weekend nights.

We had lunch there, and the wait was only about 25 minutes, but well worth it. The food was excellent. We will definitely be back. It is generally very crowded, but the service was above average, timely and friendly.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
london
“yummy, fun but a little OTT on service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had a fun meal here on recent visit from London. Lots of yummy fried things like green tomatoes and grits and something like a pulled pork eggrolll. It's not how I normally eat but I though what the heck! Service was prompt but being called 'baby' by the waiter got on my nerves after awhile. I like it and would recommend by for folks coming by way of New England and the original England, well, you might service too in your face.

Visited November 2013