“Tupelo Yummy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 653 Restaurants in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: What constitutes "New South Flavors?" For us, it is begins with reverence for those time-honored Southern dishes. Served up by wonderful home cooks for years. We respect the freshness, the flavors and the food itself. But we like to jazz it up a little, add something deliciously unexpected to delight your palate. Our interpretation of traditional Southern fare is creative, inventive and satisfyingly scrumptious. Cheers to New South Flavor!
Suffolk, Virginia
“Tupelo Yummy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We arrived very early to get a table for breakfast. I don't know why but this is the only restaurant serving breakfast that opens at 9am which is late in my opinion. People were standing in line by 8:30a.
We were seated right away but it did take a bit for orders to be taken. EVERYONE is seated at the same time so the servers had to come up with a system. Ours decided to take all tables' drink orders first and deliver them before coming back around to take food orders. NOT a good system. Another server came over to take our order after we were seeing others' food arrive. One couple near us hadn't even seen their server when our order was taken.
They bring out LARGE fresh biscuits with jam and butter. Always outstanding and even got one to go. I was just going to take the half I hadn't eaten but server offered a fresh whole one instead.
I ordered the sweet potato pancake and it was delicious. I've had it before and it lived up to my expectations. The pancake is dinner plate sized. I don't know about you but I can't eat a whole pancake that large so half of it was uneaten...especially after the half biscuit. Husband ordered eggs and sausage and finished it all. Said it was very satisfying.
I'm not sure it's worth waiting a long time for but if its not crowded I'd recommend it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great Homemade Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The staff was very friendly and efficient. The seating was cozy but you still had room to breathe. My wife says that the biscuits tasted like her grandmother made them. We ordered and shared a small spinach salad, the nutty fried chicken with a side of smashed cauliflower. The portion sizes are large so we shared our order. No left overs but we both were full.

Wilmington, Delaware
“nice atmosphere. food was good. service was great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

we got seated right a way.. tomatoe soup was good... bisquit to the table nice touch.. honey and homemade blackberry jam...

Visited October 2013
“Still full”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Looks like our experience was pretty typical: delicious food (biscuits as a free appetizer before brunch!); friendly, attentive staff; a longer wait than we would usually put up with, but we were expecting it and the food was worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“succulent fried chicken and biscuits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The best fried chicken I have ever had in my life was the chicken and biscuits with white gravy here at Tupelo Honey for breakfast. And, I know fried chicken.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere