“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Art Galleries, Shopping
Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you have ever dreamed of having the finest furnishings for your home this is the place. Beautiful works of art that you can put to good use. I'm sure your great grandchildren will inherit these superbly crafted furnishings. Well worth my trip from Michigan. Best regards, Ken.

Visited July 2013

Glenview, Illinois
“A Man with a Passion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Every once in awhile, you encounter that rare person who has such a passion for what he does that you feel a bit ashamed that you don't have a similar passion, for anything. That is how I felt leaving Brian's shop.

Tucked around the corner off the main drag in Biltmore Village, Brian Boggs, Chairmaker is very much a destination you have to seek out, and the hour or so we spent there was amazing. In the world of guitars, there are mass produced instruments from Asia. In chairs, think IKEA. There are good mid level instruments, such as Fender American Standard. And then there are Custom Shop quality instruments. Brian's chairs are definitely Custom Shop quality.

Whether it was relief from boredom or the Evangelist unleashed, Brian spent about an hour extolling the virtues of his chairs. We watched as Brian and his staff prepared an absolutely marvelous outdoor swing for shipment. We were privileged to get the backstage tour. A visit to Brian Boggs' shop isn't so much about chairs (which are marvelous), it is about experiencing the man's passion.

Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

On a recent vacation in Asheville a friend encouraged us to visit Brian Boggs Chairmakers. This was our first trip to Asheville and we fell in love with the city and region, however, meeting Brian and Melanie and experiencing their work was the highlight. Although we dropped in unannounced they greeted us with big smiles and were incredibly gracious with their time.

We were blown away with the craftsmanship, engineering, and artistry of Brian’s work…absolutely breathtaking! Sitting in a Boggs chair and being surrounded by such workmanship was a real thrill. As a person with a lifelong interest in woodworking I must also say that I was thoroughly impressed with Brian’s shop…I felt like a kid in a candy shop! It was also great to learn about their efforts in sustainability and environmental awareness. We can’t wait to have a Boggs chair in our house!!

Don’t miss this stop when you’re in the Ashville area!!!

Visited May 2013
Melanieguerra, Owner at Brian Boggs Chairmakers, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks so much Art!
Michigan
11 attraction reviews
“Amazing chairs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stopped into Brian and Melanie's while visiting the Asheville area. We were warmly welcomed and made to feel at home. We sat in a few chairs and I wish that I could make them as we'll as Brian does. They fit the natural form of the body. Check this off my Bucket List. Thanks Melanie for the warm reception. We wish we had the time for the 4 o'clock tour.

Visited April 2013
Saint Pete Beach, Florida
“The Chair Wizard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'm a very amateur woodworker, hoping someday to be able to build something that even vaguely resembles the work of artist like Brian Boggs. Myself, wife, and friends dropped by on Saturday on the off chance that Brian might be in the shop. Melanie was just leaving for a hair cut and Gail (Brian's mom) was just showing up. Gail gave us a tour of the showroom. She said that Brian doesn't normally work in the shop on Saturday but was in to work on some orders. I didn't want to bug him, but couldn't come all this way to not say hi. I introduced myself and mentioned that I had just spent a week at Roy Underhill's school and Roy told me to come down and "bug" him. Brian got a chuckle out of that. He took the time to answer some of my questions about his shavehorse and customer spokeshaves, allowing me to examine each one. He showed me a travisher he recently built for shaping the seats of chairs. It was a really beautiful tool. My wife and friends took turns sitting in the various chairs and benches in the showroom. They described as having the sensation of someone hugging you when they sat in them. I was drooling over the rocking chair with the contours that match your arms, indents for your fingers in the bottom, faceted pins, hickory woven seat, and trough for all the drools I left behind while admiring the work. Got to see some mock ups of pieces in the works that are really cool and will be quite stunning when built. Brian shares the shop with other craftsman within the Collective including Andy Rae. If you every want to see something impressive, check out Andy's tool chest. It is a work of art in it's own right. One of my friends took a couple of pictures of me with Brian, which I'm glad I have to immortalize (in my mind) my brief but very memorable visit to the shop. It was like Disneyworld for me.

Visited March 2013