“BEST Dessert I've ever had!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Brunch, Coffee & Tea
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Brunch, Coffee & Tea
Asheville, North Carolina
“BEST Dessert I've ever had!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Karen Donatelli is amazing!!!

My fiance and I originally met her for a wedding cake tasting and fell in love with her desserts. The only difficult part of the visit was deciding if the chocolate, chamborde, raspberry cake or the white chocolate cheesecake with raspberries was my favorite... While we were tasting, she stepped in the back and did a mock up design of what we had been discussing on a small carrot cake (also amazingly good). She is very professional, VERY reasonably priced, and makes delicious desserts! Needless to say, we're going to have her make our wedding cake!!

Dessert bar: Since meeting her earlier this week, we keep going back in the evening for a little dessert. We've tried chocolate cakes and different cheese cakes and they're all equally phenomenal!! It's like stepping into a 5-star European bakery right in downtown Asheville. Don't Miss It!!! We're planning on going back to try the eclairs, fruit tarts, and orange chocolate mousse, and all the other tasty things on display... Yum!!

For brides: her website is not up and running yet, but don't be fooled! Hands down best cakes we tasted in a week of tastings and such beautiful, elegant decorations!

• Visited May 2013

Asheville, North Carolina
“Forget the European trip...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

That's what we told the staff we were going to do after trying the croissants in this amazing bakery. We've had croissants all over France and none were any better than the huge, warm, flaky ones that are served here (fresh from the oven if you go in at 9 or so in the morning). Karen's "Buche de Noel" Christmas cake was the culinary highlight of our Christmas gathering last year -- it was beautiful and delicious. The apple and berry tarts, the key lime pie, brioche, cookies -- everything we've tried has been first-rate. The coffee is as good as it gets, too! This little gem of a place seems as if it could be in the heart of Paris or Milan: the decor is simple but sophisticated and everything is beautifully displayed and packaged. The staff are warm and friendly, too. Do yourself a favor and try this lovely local bakery -- but get there early if you want the croissants!

• Visited May 2013
Troy, Ohio
“Paris in Asheville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stopped in for something sweet. Everything looked amazing. I had a dessert and coffee. Later the same nigh my husband and three friends were back. What can I say? It was good enough that I had to have seconds! The coffee was great as well!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Asheville NC
“Extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well into their second year, the Donatelli's have proven that all the early raves were well deserved. In my opinion, this is probably as fine a bakery as I have ever frequented (and I have been lucky to visit many throughout the world). From their croissants to their incredible cakes, the quality of all they do is outstanding. Soon to have breads available, I doubt that anything you purchase will be a disappointment.....but if it's croissants you're after, best get there early or they'll be gone.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Asheville
“Best Birthday Cake EVER !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stopped in Karen Donatelli's shop in Asheville for my birthday and had the most delicious cake EVER !!! It was a dark chocolate rasberry torte cake, with fresh chocolate dipped strawberries, and fresh blueberries and raspberries surrounded by a dark chocolate sauce and raspberry sauce. The cake was TO DIE FOR !!! It made my day. The Donatelli family has made us feel like family every time we're in there......It is an honor as well as a pleasure
to have them on our neighborhood's block. Abby and I love you guys!!! If you live in or ever
visit Asheville, NC .... you MUST stop in this place. Simply the best !!!

• Visited April 2013