“Forget the European trip...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dessert
Dining options: Dessert
Asheville, North Carolina
“Forget the European trip...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

That's what we told the staff we were going to do after trying the croissants in this amazing bakery. We've had croissants all over France and none were any better than the huge, warm, flaky ones that are served here (fresh from the oven if you go in at 9 or so in the morning). Karen's "Buche de Noel" Christmas cake was the culinary highlight of our Christmas gathering last year -- it was beautiful and delicious. The apple and berry tarts, the key lime pie, brioche, cookies -- everything we've tried has been first-rate. The coffee is as good as it gets, too! This little gem of a place seems as if it could be in the heart of Paris or Milan: the decor is simple but sophisticated and everything is beautifully displayed and packaged. The staff are warm and friendly, too. Do yourself a favor and try this lovely local bakery -- but get there early if you want the croissants!

• Visited May 2013

92% Recommend
Anna
“Paris in Asheville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stopped in for something sweet. Everything looked amazing. I had a dessert and coffee. Later the same nigh my husband and three friends were back. What can I say? It was good enough that I had to have seconds! The coffee was great as well!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Asheville NC
“Extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well into their second year, the Donatelli's have proven that all the early raves were well deserved. In my opinion, this is probably as fine a bakery as I have ever frequented (and I have been lucky to visit many throughout the world). From their croissants to their incredible cakes, the quality of all they do is outstanding. Soon to have breads available, I doubt that anything you purchase will be a disappointment.....but if it's croissants you're after, best get there early or they'll be gone.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Asheville
“Best Birthday Cake EVER !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stopped in Karen Donatelli's shop in Asheville for my birthday and had the most delicious cake EVER !!! It was a dark chocolate rasberry torte cake, with fresh chocolate dipped strawberries, and fresh blueberries and raspberries surrounded by a dark chocolate sauce and raspberry sauce. The cake was TO DIE FOR !!! It made my day. The Donatelli family has made us feel like family every time we're in there......It is an honor as well as a pleasure
to have them on our neighborhood's block. Abby and I love you guys!!! If you live in or ever
visit Asheville, NC .... you MUST stop in this place. Simply the best !!!

• Visited April 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“Delish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Wow! Delicacies as delicious as they are art to the eye! In a hard-core food town, Karen Donatelli impresses those with the highest standards. Don't miss this shop!

• Visited November 2012