“Great little place” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Mill Valley, California
“Great little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a humble place... Don't let it fool you! The food is quite good. We had a burrito and quesadilla and garlic fried yucca. Was all great. Groupon made it even better. Would go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Groupon have a deal so we tried it. It's ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Ate here for lunch yesterday - didn't really know what we were in for but had purchased a Groupon coupon for two entrees and chips and salsa. It's a hole in the wall type place in a grotty area. We were the third group in there so seating wasn't a problem. The waittress was very friendly and helpful. The chips and salsa were very unusual and I didn't really like them. The chips were more like some kind of toasted pita bread but you could taste the oil still on them from the toasting and the salsa was ok but to me the two flavors didn't really go together very well. Just my personal opinion. I ordered the Chipotle Steak Tacos with a side of roasted corn and beans. The tacos were soft tacos and the presentation was very nice. Each taco had two small wraps and about four small chunks of steak in each- there were two tacos. The side was in a small bowl and tasted ok. I took a bite and my whole mouth experienced a fire unlike any I've tasted before. I spent the next ten minutes with my tongue in my glass of water desperately trying to soothe it. It was agony. This spoiled the whole thing for me as I'm a 'mild' kind of person with my food and hate anything hot. The waittress apologised and explained that chipotle is always very hot. I didn't know that, I thought it was just a flavor - may be good if they have an option of mild, medium or hot with that dish so others dont follow in my nightmare with that. My husband braved one of them and I picked out the meat from the other one. My husband had a shrimp quesadilla and loved it and said it was spicy too. We shared a Caramelized Plantain icecream at the end to put out the fires in our mouths and it sure worked! Was actually really yummy icecream - the name of it wasn't appetizing to me at all but it has a cinnamon type flavor. Recommend you try it the icecream. I left hungry and for me, I wouldn't go back as firstly a lot of the menu is fish/shellfish based so that eliminated all but a few things for me - the things that weren't shellfish didn't really appeal to me, secondly maybe I'm just not a fan of that style of food as I didnt really like the chips or the side either much and lastly I felt it was overpriced for what you get. My husband likes it and would go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great start up restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The good: the food. My wife and I took our 5 year old to this restaurant for dinner this past Saturday. I had one of the sandwiches and she had the shrimp taco's. Our daughter had the child's quesadilla. Everything was very flavorful and well prepared. The chips and salsa were excellent, my sandwich was just right, spicy but not hot. My wife loved the spicy sauce her shrimp taco's were covered in. Even my daughters quesadilla was tasty. The food does not come all dressed up with parsley or any other decorations on some over sized plate. You get what you order.
The not as good: Not enough waitress. The one young lady that was waiting on all nine tables did an outstanding job keeping up. I am guessing the other waitress must have called in sick. Would be in the restaurants interest to have one more waitress if they could.

The other: I ordered a $5 mojito. I was disappointed in it. It did not match the wonderful taste of the food. It tasted like a store bought premix, rum, with a few mint leaves tossed in. I will probally not order another on our next trip.

Bottom line. Great food, fair price, clean looking place, not a chain and in west Asheville. Mojito needs a little work. We will certainly be going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Good fair, decent prices, good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Bandidos is pretty good. It's not somewhere I would recommend to a friend who has a limited amount of time and can only catch so many restaurants. But for a local eatery, or a place that won't break the bank, it's a good option. The food is pretty good, nice hot sauces available, and good service. What turns me off is a disconcerting trend I've seen in Asheville. Restaurants just throwing pickled daikon, carrot and cilantro into something and calling it "banh mi". Those things do not make banh mi! It's like making a sandwich with a piece of chicken and calling it a chicken cheeseburger. Banh mi taco? Give me a break, again tossing the 3 above mentioned ingredients into something does not make it banh mi. The sandwich may be delicious, but call it something else like the Bandido sandwich. Anyway, off of my stump, Bandidos isn't the only guilty party, but I may just make a banh mi run through the whole city and call out all of the pretenders in town.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Always Flavorful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We've eaten here at least a dozen times and each has been excellent. Food is fresh, full of flavor, AND a great value. Friendly service, relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere.