“Average Hotel, But Not Up to Marriott Standards” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Trumbull, Connecticut
“Average Hotel, But Not Up to Marriott Standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This suite hotel is located on a commercial strip just a few miles away from downtown Asheville; it is also just a few miles from the Biltmore Estate. My wife and stayed here on our way from Great Smoky Mountains National Park to the Outer Banks. Although the staff was friendly and helpful and the room adequate, we did encounter some issues. For example, when paying almost $200/night for a hotel, one would expect a parking space in the hotel's parking lot and a seat in the lobby cafe at breakfast - we had neither. The parking lot is woefully inadequate for the size of the hotel so we were left to park in the hotel's "overflow" lot, i.e., the parking lot of the Carrabba's Restaurant adjacent to the hotel and down a slight hill. We were not thrilled at leaving our car, which was packed with all of our camping gear, so far from the hotel. We encountered an analogous experience with the complimentary breakfast in the morning. The dining area is undersized for the hotel, resulting in a very crowded, unpleasant experience (we ended up just bringing food back to our room).

Overall, we did not have a terrible experience at the Springhill Suites, but we have come to expect more from Marriott properties. If we were to return to Asheville we would look into staying somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear KRW52,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. I can understand your frustration with the parking situation and with the breakfast room being full. Summer time is a very busy time for us and with large numbers of families traveling over this time period it does get crowded at our hotel. While we try to minimize any inconveniences to our guests there are times when people traveling with multiple cars will fill our parking lot and families with multiple children will fill our breakfast room.
Thank you again for staying with us and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I purchased a package deal...King Suite room with Biltmore Estate tickets. For the money I spent (well over $300.00) we were given an "OK" room that really did not live up to the cost. First of all it was for a handicap person (no tub). The bed was very uncomfortable and the room had no view of the beautiful mountains. We visited the indoor swimming pool where we found a very dirty whirlpool and ice cold pool. The hallways needed mopped. I was not impressed. The breakfast area was good. Next time I visit the Biltmore, I'll just buy my tickets online and go to a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear tchrshepard48,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with our hotel. We strive to ensure that every guest has a nice relaxing stay and clean comfortable room while with us. Due to the placement of the hotel we have only a few rooms that have a mountain view and I am sorry that you did not have one. Regarding the pool temperature, we are governed by state law as to how warm we can have the pool and is it kept at a constant 80 degrees.
Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us but hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed at the SpringHill for only one night. I arrived well before the posted normal check-in time after driving 7.5 hours from DC. Because we were having a funeral memorial service in a few hours, I asked the front desk staff if it would be at all possible to have an early check-in so I could rest a bit and freshen up. The women at the front desk were very gracious and helped find a room that was ready. I was able to rest before going to my uncle's funeral service -- thank you, ladies, for helping me out with the check-in!
The air conditioning in my room was fantastic! I like it c-c-cold when I sleep, and I wasn't disappointed. The outside air temp was pushing 98,degrees, so the unit worked great.
I also want to extend a big thank-you to Matthew for helping me with my initial reservation. He was charming, professional, and a delight to deal with. He's a definite asset to the SpringHill staff.
Overall, great job making me comfortable during a highly stressful event. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear L2conD,

Thank you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay but I am sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you also the very nice comments regarding our staff and Matthew in particular. I will be sure to share your review with him and I hope to see you again on your next trip to Asheville.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband, my toddler and myself stayed at this hotel during our weeklong vacation in Asheville, and overall we were pretty happy with the experience. I want to first thank them for their excellent military rate, which allowed for us to have a weeklong vacation instead of only 2 or 3 days. I checked every "suites" type hotel in the area and their rate was the best by far. It is extremely appreciated! I read through most of the reviews so I pretty much knew what to expect from the hotel, but there are a few items that could be viewed as negative if you arrived unaware: 1) size of the breakfast area: I noticed other reviews commented that it was too small, but there was only one morning where it seemed too crowded, but the staff opened up the adjacent conference room for seating and the problem seemed solved. 2) drawer space: it is true, there is virtually no drawer space in the rooms; there is one drawer and storage area on the TV stand and two small drawers on each nightstand, and a small closet but that's its. I like to unpack everything and had to get a bit creative to do that, but really it wasn't the biggest deal. 3) pool size: again, I noticed other reviews commenting that the pool was small; it definitely is not meant for laps, but we visited it several times and there never seemed to be more than a few people in it at a time, so it was definitely fine for play. In fact on one occasion I was in the adjacent hot tub while six preteens were playing and splashing and jumping in the pool and they seemed to have plenty of room. 4) air conditioner: the room air conditioner is very close to the bed, and was on the noisy side, but it didn't keep up my husband who is super sensitive to noise when trying to go to sleep, so it couldn't have been that bad. After our first night he did feel like his throat was irritated from it blowing on him all night, but we just turned it a bit warmer the following night and he was fine after that.

Now on to my raves: the staff at this facility were beyond great! Matthew (front desk) was especially warm and welcoming, and super helpful. We really wanted to find a safe, calm outfit to go rafting/canoeing with our 2-year-old, but every place we contacted only accepted age 4 and older. Not only did Matthew find a company for us, but he also read through and printed out several of their online reviews to make sure they were really good and to give us piece of mind! In addition, Patricia in the breakfast area was so warm and inviting, it was like being welcomed to breakfast every morning by your mom! The room itself was bright and welcoming with a huge pullout couch, although one small area of the couch had a musty smell that we couldn't really pinpoint. We did not bring it to the staff's attention, but based on what I saw of them, if we had I am confident they would have done something to resolve the issue. The king bed was super comfy and we slept well on it. The first time we visited the pool it was on the chilly side, but I asked the front desk about it and they had maintenance check on it and adjust the temperature to 80 degrees, and it was fine on our next visit. The only thing I would have done different with this hotel is that I would have gotten the 2 queen beds instead of the single king, even though we didn't need the second bed, because those rooms were significantly larger than ours, and had a television in the beds area AND in the living room area, instead of one in the middle like in the king rooms. Overall, we had a good experience at this hotel and would visit again. Traveling with a toddler can be challenging, but it helps greatly when there is a staff that makes you and your sometimes crying, sometimes screaming, sometimes fussy toddler feel completely welcome!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Baird_Travelers,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for the very nice comments regarding Matthew and Patricia. Our staff tries to provide the highest level of customer service to all our of guests to ensure that they have a pleasant stay with us.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Asheville.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as we were dropping our son off at summer camp. We immediately smelt cigarette smoke as we approached the lobby, and was informed that the elevator was broken upon check in. We were placed in a nice size suite on the first floor that had a strong cleaning smell to it, covering the musky mildew smell that also reeked. The carpet was stained throughout the hotel and the indoor pool was small and UNHEATED - burr! Needless to say, we will not be staying here when we return to pick up our son.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear G5ATL,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed in your time with us. I would like to discuss your stay in more detail so that we can improve our product. Please contact me directly at the hotel so we can discuss your stay.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Arrived late at night and was warmly greeted by very nice, professional front desk clerk. Living/sitting area was a little more spacious than some other SpringHill Suites. Couch was long - a king-size pull out bed, with still a little more room on one end. Room very clean. Hotel is up a hill; very nice grounds. A couple of restaurants across the street. Hotel seemed popular; breakfast area a little crowded, but that is to be expected when hotel is full. Breakfast attendant very outgoing with southern charm welcoming and speaking to all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Bess A

Thank you for posting the very nice review of your stay with us. Our staff strives to provide the highest level of guest service along with a clean and comfortable room. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed in this Springhill Suites for one night. My kids enjoyed the pool, although it was quite small. The room was clean and quiet, which was good.

As a family of 5, we always appreciate a free breakfast. The kids enjoyed the waffle maker.

In this particular location, the suites were a little smaller than some of the newer Springhill Suites we've stayed in. The tvs were almost on top of each other, which kind of defeats the purpose of having two tvs. It also had a combined bathroom/toilet, whereas some of the newer locations have them separate, which is nice.

If I were in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It met our needs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear lilsprstr,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us and for staying with SpringHill Suites around the country. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found your room clean and comfortable. I agree with you that the newer built SpringHill Suites have some very nice amenities and layouts. It's so nice to have such a loyal SpringHill Suites guest and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Been to SpringHill Suites Asheville? Share your experiences!