“great place to stay in happen' city” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #32 of 60 Hotels in Asheville
Hickory
“great place to stay in happen' city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Enjoy a top notch hotel in a fun and lively city. Book a night or two at the Renaissance Hotel in Ashevillel, NC. The rooms are stylish, the lobby is comfortable and the location is great. You'll enjoy the surroundings and the convenience of this location. It's a must if you are staying in Asheville.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Here's the lowdown:
- Yes, the outside is dated but apparently they are planning some improvements to enhance curb appeal.
- Parking is somewhat annoying; good luck finding a space out front, you will likely be parking in the back lot of the hotel and lugging your bags quite a way yourself, as there are apparently no bellman at this hotel.
- I did find the bathroom a bit cramped, as in other hotels built around the same time as this property.
- Bed/pillows were comfortable enough.
- Room service was prompt but I can honestly say I did not enjoy the food at all-- and frankly, I am pretty easy to please when famished on a business trip.
- Location is fantastic; in a walkable area of downtown and a short drive to the Grove Park for those spa appointments.
- Pet peeve: why is it that so many hotel front desk workers skimp on the check-in process? The employees were certainly pleasant, but did not review the rate, give info on breakfast, or even point out where the elevator is located.
- Lastly, on my final morning I glanced from the bathroom to the top shelf of the closet when something caught my eye; it turned out to be a bra or similar-type garment that did not belong to me. I mentioned this to the manager who was settling my final bill upon check-out so that they could be sure to remove it for the next guest. I must say, she was really awesome about it-- I certainly did not mention it with any expectation, but she apologized profusely and offered ways to "make it right" as that was "not up to their standard." Really good service and I have to say, prior to my interaction with this manager, I was on the fence as to whether or not to stay here again. Simply due to her professionalism and guest appreciation, I would be happy to try you all again next time I am in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

On the positive side the Renaissance is in a great location and the lobby has been newly renovated and looks great, also parking is free which was refreshing! On the negative side the room was very small and the bathroom was tiny. The carpet in the room was dingy and falling apart. There was a bad smell in one of the elevators and the hallway smell reminded me of a retirement home. This is a dog friendly hotel which was not clear at booking. The staff could have been more friendly. Asheville has great food, wine, beer and southern accents, but I must say it doesn't have a friendly southern feel. Also be aware smoking is very popular in this mountain town.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to Asheville to go to the Food and Wine Festival. Upon arriving, we saw that parking was in the back and was free! The Staff inside were very helpful and extremely friendly. Our room was really nice. It was as standard 2 Queen room with bathroom and great view of the city from the 10th floor. One nite the AC started cycling on and off every 10 seconds, which left me with little sleep. We brought this up to the Front Desk and they couldn't have been nicer. They upgraded us to a 2 room/2 bath suite for the last night at no extra charge. There are 2 changes I would make to the standard rooms, and I would say this for every hotel we stay in: I wish the bathroom sink were separate from the commode/shower area; and I wish there was a large mirror in place of a picture in the main room so I could blow dry my hair in the light, by the AC, outside of the bathroom. We walked everywhere downtown. We also ran in the mornings with no problems. There is an outdoor patio with tables, chairs and benches where you can bring a bottle of wine and relax in the fresh air. It's right across from the Thomas Wolfe Home. This hotel allows dogs for a fee. We will stay here again next year!

Room Tip: I would ask for a high floor with a city view. Both of our rooms were quiet.
Edina, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We just stayed at the Renaissance in Raleigh NC and were expecting the same level of staff and accommodations in Asheville but both fell short. The air conditioning in the room was poor and outdated. Very noisy. The ventilation in the bathroom was nonexistent. The staff was uppity...
The downtown area was dirty. The quality of street people was disturbing. This city should have more pride and clean itself up. Old is beautiful if maintained. They should go to Boone, NC and see what a proud community can accomplish.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Husband and I stayed here for the asheville wine & food festival so we could walk everywhere. Nice and unexpected decorations for a hotel in NC - really enjoyed the sleek design and modern bedroom furniture.

Only minor miss was shower - drained very slow and could tell from tile it did not get the same level of facelift the rest of the room did.

We had great service and bed was comfortable - fabulous location if you want to explore downtown Asheville on foot. Shout out to one of our favorite restaurants in Asheville - Curate - each trip to AsheVegas always includes a trip to this amazing restaurant!

Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Renaissance is so conveniently located to downtown, it will make you overlook its small, but nicely renovated rooms....staff was extremely courteous and helpful, the place is clean, parking is more than ample, and the best part is you walk out the side of the hotel and up a slight incline to a street that takes you three or so blocks to Broadway, one of the main drags running through the city....it is deceptively close to everything if you get a map and figure out where you want to go and the shortest way to get there....nice little bar and a great outdoor area off the conference rooms...we took a bottle of wine down to an outdoor table for our self-made happy hour and loved the ambience...ask for a corner room (I think they may be a little more spacious)...The concierge lounge is only open until 9 a.m. according to posted schedules, but we got coffee and juice to go from there as late as 9:30 without a problem...Vincenzo's italian restaurant is less than two blocks away and worth a try if you like Italian...live music (piano player) creates a nice ambience for good food. The little community theater is only a block away--we saw Steel Magnolias while we were there and it was very well done with excellent local talent.

Room Tip: ask for a corner. I think they may be a little bigger.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Asheville Hotel? Share your experiences!